• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with Duck Hunt?

Regulus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Count_Boognish
3DS FC
3351-4181-6573
So I just got my butt kicked by a Duck Dog man, and I have like no idea how to counter anything. Clay pigeon stops clown car, the can is a general nuisance, and the fact that he can combine these and run is atrocious. How do I deal?

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
use the MK to cover your clown car approach, careful spacing with fair or nair, possibly uair... can all deal with the can. but it's far from easy.

givign up on the cart and walking with shield is also viable. it's a very uphill fight. good luck

Making_Waves

Smash Cadet
I saw that match you played!

Although not the most attractive strategy - get a lead by being patient/lucky with MK, then camp for the next 7 minutes. That's been my strategy for most campers. It eventually forces them to approach and freak out when you punish them for their inevitably poor approaches.

Regulus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Count_Boognish
3DS FC
3351-4181-6573
I have not played against a strong duck hunt yet but so far i am running in and shielding a lot. Sometimes their can will explode on shield and damage them
Well they mix up their projectiles enough that the can is generally far from them and the clay gets shielded, and then eventually shot as soon as I unshield because it lands right on me. Plus if I'm close enough that the explosion would hit them, they'll probably go for a grab too.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
The can and clay pigeons are extremely irritating if you give the dog enough space and you cannot beat them with your own projectiles. It forces you to go in and approach.
Watch out for the Dog's Fair and Bair. IIRC the duck doesn't have a hurtbox, meaning those aerials have disjointed hitboxes, and I'm not sure if it outranges Jr's wrecking ball... D: I think it will come down to timing and spacing (if the duck doesn't have more range than the wrecking balls)

If you launch the dog offstage, though, his Up B is totally harmless, so you can totally go in for the edgeguard, using side b and up b to make it back. :)

Unfortunately I myself need more experience dealing with this character as I don't see many Duck Hunt dogs on FG...

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
yeah, you can deflect the can but be mindful that just like the Gordos they can be rebounced again, and that if the can hasn't left the field, duck hunt can still shoot it and the can will advance towards him, which can actually make your approach a harder task than before.

Top Bottom