• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with Down-Throw->9?

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
I play against a G&W main a lot, and I've lost so many matches due to this combo (My luck with it isn't very good). What should I do to get around it?

Last edited:

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
I believe you can jump out of it. Just be fast enough.

Folie

Smash Apprentice
Judge has like 15 frames of startup, you should be able to jump out before it hits out of dthrow

Furret24

Smash Master
ill change it. i just found it on google lol i didnt know you made it. sorry
I didn't. I just happened to use it before changing it roughly a day before I found this post.

Really, I'm just messing around. It's fine.

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
Is it really okay to talk about things that hinder G&W or any other character in their thread? I think this thread should be posted in another character's, like a character has a bad matchup vs G&W. I don't know, but this post doesn't feel right.

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
Is it really okay to talk about things that hinder G&W or any other character in their thread? I think this thread should be posted in another character's, like a character has a bad matchup vs G&W. I don't know, but this post doesn't feel right.
Only GAW has been mentioned here.

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
I know, I was trying to say that a post like this should not be posted in the character's thread you're talking about. If that makes any sense I don't even know.
It makes none. I'm not even sure why this isn't locked yet.

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, I accidentally double posted so that's why I'm making this post.

Last edited:

Folie

Smash Apprentice
it's really not a huge secret that all characters can jump, DI, airdodge, or whatever out of downthrow -> judge in like 99% of situations. I don't think most of us have a problem with that being known.

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
it's really not a huge secret that all characters can jump, DI, airdodge, or whatever out of downthrow -> judge in like 99% of situations. I don't think most of us have a problem with that being known.
Yeah, you have a point.

BrS_Wsbk7

Smash Rookie
Isn't d-throw into 9 guaranteed if they Di away? I think it works at around 60%

Last edited:

Shyguymask

Smash Rookie
I use this combo a lot.

You can jump out of it, at least at low-percent. Though if you became predictable, your opponent might try to jump higher to land the Side B. You can also Air-dodge it dependently of the situation/character, but again if you became preditacle an opponent like me would try to use a charged Smash attack to punish the landing after the dodge.

I think the best option if to jump.

thebeatles145

Smash Cadet
NNID
thebeatles145
There is no escape NINE NINE NINE NINE NINE! Just joking, this was useful to me, but couldn't you get a short hop mixup?

Furret24

Smash Master
There is no escape NINE NINE NINE NINE NINE NINE NINE NINE NINE ! Just joking, this was useful to me, but couldn't you get a short hop mixup?
I haven't gotten it to work yet, so I doubt it.

Dthrow -> 9 is so fun to do on people who don't know the matchup though. :D

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
I think you could tech roll out of that maybe. I'm not sure. I use up throw to hammer when I play G&W, seems to work better, but only at low percents.

Furret24

Smash Master
I think you could tech roll out of that maybe. I'm not sure. I use up throw to hammer when I play G&W, seems to work better, but only at low percents.
This issue has already been resolved. =\

Funnily enough, I used to have that same avatar back in November. Strange coincidence, huh?

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
This issue has already been resolved. =\

Funnily enough, I used to have that same avatar back in November. Strange coincidence, huh?
Weird. I replied to this not realizing how old it was. I guess this board is a little dead, huh.

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
Weird. I replied to this not realizing how old it was. I guess this board is a little dead, huh.
What's even weirder is that this has happened before.

This whole board in general is pretty barren. Our social thread is lucky to get a post a week. A real shame.

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
What's even weirder is that this has happened before.

This whole board in general is pretty barren. Our social thread is lucky to get a post a week. A real shame.
It really goes to show you how much love Game & Watch gets in Smash. Not much, unfortunately. Especially now that he's been nerfed in doubles.

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
It's because he doesn't have a yellow skin like in PM.

#RIPMrGoldenWatch
Instead of Ketchup and Mustard Yellow, we got Vomit Rotten Lemonade Yellow.

Forest Green is my alt of choice though. Teal comes close however. It's funny, because I end off my posts with a Dark Blue Melee Game and Watch emoticon.

Last edited:

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
Instead of Ketchup and Mustard Yellow, we got Vomit Rotten Lemonade Yellow.

Forest Green is my alt of choice though. Teal comes close however. It's funny, because I end off my posts with a Dark Blue Melee Game and Watch emoticon.
I just use standard black, I don't like any of G&W's color choices except for gold in PM.

Folie

Smash Apprentice
It really goes to show you how much love Game & Watch gets in Smash. Not much, unfortunately. Especially now that he's been nerfed in doubles.
smashboards is kinda dead in general in most places. Valuable discussion just doesn't really happen and consequentially there isn't really a reason to come here

That said, the g&w skype group is very active and often full of good discussion. If you're interested playing g&w in tourneys and getting better, find the skype group thread and ask to be added there :)

1FC0

Smash Lord
Wow the G&W boards are pretty dead indeed I thought that the R.O.B. boards were pretty dead but I think that the G&W boards may be even deader than the R.O.B. boards.

Anyway G&W had a good run in SSBB and where are all those G&W mains who mained him because they liked him and not because he was top tier? In fact where were they in Melee? G&W is fun though.

Top Bottom