• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with a douche online?

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Whether in For Fun or For Glory, there will always be people who come off as ungrateful douchebags, whether they win or lose. When I'm online, I will in general, exercise good sportsmanship with people, rarely do I burst out a inflammatory comment but anyways, how do you deal with these ungrateful douchebags? For example, I was online earlier today with a guy in FF who used the handle "MELEE-PRO." He was using Roy (surprise, surprise) whom I consider a median between Marth and Ike (damn does Roy move fast, my eyes can barely keep up with him).

Anyway, I use "GG" in my handle as a way to say "Good Game" quickly, although the more sour comment could be made in the same fashion. When I won with Fox, instead of congratulating me for the win (as I did to him) he merely put "YOU LOSE." Long story short, I had started a match but didn't have time to end it before running errands so I disconnected.

How do you deal with an online douche who can't take a loss/gets so into themselves when they win?

Last edited:

rjpageuk

Smash Cadet
I would rather someone changed their name to "YOU LOST" after I lost to them than they d/c half way through a match wasting my time.

Whenever I meet rude people online I stop playing against them and play against someone else instead.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Be the better person of you two and ignore it. Why waste your time and energy with douches?

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Be the better person of you two and ignore it. Why waste your time and energy with douches?
I don't bicker back and forth via the handles. Part of my tv cuts off the first two characters. I might keep battling it out until I prove my point then move on.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
As stated above, it's best to just ignore them and have fun. Don't worry about what they're doing or trying to do or whatever, they're not worth the time and effort to waste.

1FC0

Smash Lord
People that insult you do so to upset you. If you ignore them then your problem with them is solved.

So just develop a stable and strong personality and then those douche-bags will phase you no more.
And as an added bonus you will be protected from other harmless annoyances in life as well. And you will be a nicer person to be around since few people like other people that keep whining and getting angry over insignificant things.

Arrei

Smash Lord
More effective than brushing off the insults is to straight up be amused by them. The idea that someone got so salty as to try and insult me just because he lost, or that someone takes themselves so seriously that they feel the need to rub a victory in their opponent's face is entertaining to me, in separate ways.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I don't bicker back and forth via the handles. Part of my tv cuts off the first two characters. I might keep battling it out until I prove my point then move on.
There's a screen size option in the Wii U settings, if you haven't tried already.

Honestly, the best solution for your real problem is to be the better person, in and out of Smash. Not saying to avoid spam or anything, but to actually win more and get out of scrub heck ASAP. There's actually a decent sorting algorithm for matchmaking... People who get reported a lot get stuck together, noobs who can't even up B get matched up, and legitimately good players see a ton of each other. And since skill largely comes with having a level head, the insults stop after a while.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
There's a screen size option in the Wii U settings, if you haven't tried already.

Honestly, the best solution for your real problem is to be the better person, in and out of Smash. Not saying to avoid spam or anything, but to actually win more and get out of scrub heck ASAP. There's actually a decent sorting algorithm for matchmaking... People who get reported a lot get stuck together, noobs who can't even up B get matched up, and legitimately good players see a ton of each other. And since skill largely comes with having a level head, the insults stop after a while.
I don't spam the hell out of Fox's blaster or of the like. I go at it like a mosh pit. Since I don't go into FG (mainly because Ieither lack the confidence or am too nervous to). I see some pretty good zingers in FF. Fox's Landmaster has saved me a good coupple of times. Most of the time I either ome in 2nd or 3rd place ("most" being a conservative way of saying 98.9%) usually because the amount of KO's I create are the amount of KO's I receive of of the like.

GBAer64

Smash Rookie
Well there's the obvious ignoring.

Though for me I don't have the virtues to simply do that. ._.;;
On occasion I tend to stick it out and win at least two matches against the ****(s) then leave.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-If it's someone who is simply bugging me by taunting after a kill or SD, then I say "Try not to" "Taunt plz" then leave.

-If it's a person who is REALLY attempting to get into you with words such as "FGGT", "GIT GUD" and such. That would be a good time to leave. Even if you lost, it's best just to leave them be and enjoy their own little world. If they're REALLY that bad then maybe try to report them. Sometimes I do a match, SD twice, then report them followed by a "GTG" message (for my own mentality).

-There's also certain players who win using... "cheap" tactics in order to make you feel bad. Such instances would be I suppose a Link constantly shield grabbing you and destroying you because of his goddamn hookshot... (Sorry this is my own personal experience speaking). A-Anyways, if that's the case immediately report and leave.
NO second chances
DO NOT continue even if he won
and DON'T think that there's any integrity/dignity lost by just standing up and leaving. We all have those matches so don't worry.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If there's any form of mental injury as a result of such... disgusting players. There's always the typical methods of cheering yourself up.

Watch combo videos or podcasts
Listen to music
Talk to friends
Watch Game Grumps
etc. etc.

Hope that helped a bit as an alternative for your troll crisis. It may not be the most ideal among everyone here in these forums. But it's how I usually roll. ^_^;;

1FC0

Smash Lord
-There's also certain players who win using... "cheap" tactics in order to make you feel bad. Such instances would be I suppose a Link constantly shield grabbing you and destroying you because of his goddamn hookshot... (Sorry this is my own personal experience speaking). A-Anyways, if that's the case immediately report and leave.
Reporting him for his playstyle is a **** move. His hookshot has a lot of end lag. It is a pretty good grab, but it is also a risky one. If you jump over it, roll back, or spotdodge it then you will have a lot of time to punish him. If you get owned by it then GG the best player has won.

Besides how do you know that he does it to make you feel bad? Personally I enjoy it when people spam tactics that I find hard to beat because it gives me practice and sometimes I even manage to adapt while playing them and turn the tables on them. How can he know that you have the scrub mentality of finding everything that you do not have the skill to deal with cheap? As far as he knows you could just be a competitively minded player looking to practice his skills.

Last edited:

Magik

Smash Rookie
At GBAer64

are you kidding me? you reported someone for excessive shield-grabbing?

do you understand that every time you report someone, it counts as a permanent black mark against their name? after enough reports they are banned for a period of time.

so now you may have caused that player to be banned, just because you couldn't beat his strategy, you acted like a spoilt child and reported him. WTF?? i have no words...

please STOP doing that. it's people like you causing innocent players to be banned!

Last edited:

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
At GBAer64

do you understand that every time you report someone, it counts as a permanent black mark against their name? after enough reports they are banned for a period of time.

so now you may have caused that player to be banned, just because you couldn't beat his strategy, you acted like a spoilt child and reported him. WTF?? i have no words...

please STOP doing that. it's people like you causing innocent players to be banned!
I don't know how to report someone online to Nintendo (or of the like). Is that a Miiverse feature?

I do know I can't seem to get a grasp at perfect shielding though. It sounds easy, but in actual combat its not, or at first comes off as not. I've found the easiest way to practice that is actually with COM's since they're masters at perfect shielding. If anyone can tell me otherwise, have at it.

I've never heard of this "Report" feature for online gameplay before, but it might be a handy gadget to have.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I don't know how to report someone online to Nintendo (or of the like). Is that a Miiverse feature?

I do know I can't seem to get a grasp at perfect shielding though. It sounds easy, but in actual combat its not, or at first comes off as not. I've found the easiest way to practice that is actually with COM's since they're masters at perfect shielding. If anyone can tell me otherwise, have at it.

I've never heard of this "Report" feature for online gameplay before, but it might be a handy gadget to have.
With a lot of lag it migth be impossible to do reliably so fi you are going to powershield then you might first want to test the connection. A good way to get an idea of how bad the lag is to shield and see how much time there is between pressing the button and actually shielding. The less time the easier it will be to powershield.

Other than that I suggest using campers to practice. Whenever I meet a camper that is not very skilled in a good connection I often use him to practice powershielding. Sometimes I walk slowly toward him while powershielding his flood of projectiles and grab him when I get close. It makes me feel unstoppable!

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I usually just leave after one match, regardless of whether I win or lose. I'm not willing to play more than one match with a douche, so I'll go and find someone who's actually worth my time, thank you very much.
Except if they're using Ganondorf, then I'll try to beat them at least once before I go. It's a matter of personal pride; I can't walk away without taking a game off of someone who's using a character that pretty much exists for "lol disrespekt" or "m-muh style".

Last edited:

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
Yeah I dealt with a douche who beat me but I kept on going on and kept losing and getting insulted it was really ego breaking for me. However in the end I beat him 3 times continuously and I wanted to use lil mac but I lost and he left. Even after beating him its NOT worth it to continue on.

Just play with people on the boards here. Nobody here is a douche and they are miles better than the trash you fight on FG.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Yeah I dealt with a douche who beat me but I kept on going on and kept losing and getting insulted it was really ego breaking for me. However in the end I beat him 3 times continuously and I wanted to use lil mac but I lost and he left. Even after beating him its NOT worth it to continue on.

Just play with people on the boards here. Nobody here is a douche and they are miles better than the trash you fight on FG.
Yeah, funny thing about that last part.

I never dare wander into FG. My confidence seems to disappear when it comes to that.

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
Yeah, funny thing about that last part.

I never dare wander into FG. My confidence seems to disappear when it comes to that.
Yeah For Glory mostly consists of Links that for some reason play all exactly the same sorta like an AI. And real douchey people. Even when I won I still felt slightly crappy. But I guess FG gets you used to being beaten down and spat on and nothing here compares to that here so it helps you in the long run I guess.

Naklsonofnakkl

Smash Rookie
NNID
NaklsonofNakkl
Honestly, I just start the match, then pull my ethernet cable out and let them waste their time for two minutes. About 1 out of 5 times I do this I will get locked for 10 min, but that is just enough time to go to the bathroom or do a chore real quick, so it doesn't bother me and I have the satisfaction of knowing they sat there bothered by having to waste time playing against boring bots. You don't really need to do anything to 'get back at them' because ultimately they most likely wont care.

GBAer64

Smash Rookie
Reporting him for his playstyle is a **** move. His hookshot has a lot of end lag. It is a pretty good grab, but it is also a risky one. If you jump over it, roll back, or spotdodge it then you will have a lot of time to punish him. If you get owned by it then GG the best player has won.

Besides how do you know that he does it to make you feel bad? Personally I enjoy it when people spam tactics that I find hard to beat because it gives me practice and sometimes I even manage to adapt while playing them and turn the tables on them. How can he know that you have the scrub mentality of finding everything that you do not have the skill to deal with cheap? As far as he knows you could just be a competitively minded player looking to practice his skills.
Did I imply that I labeled the Link player's tactics as cheap?
*Scrolls through my original post
O-oh my... perhaps I was describing it a little harshly... Forgive me. I can omit the more biased parts of my message if you'd like.

At GBAer64

Well I didn't report him admittedly (in fact I always forget it exists)
and yes, I have learned of what reporting does from another thread that I believe a few of you have also visited.
Yes, I am susceptible to well... "salt" but it hasn't ever been bad enough as to warrant me to report someone (since as mentioned before I usually forget that's an option at all). Besides it only takes about 10 minutes for me to cool down/cheer myself up again and realize that it's of my fault.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
Yeah For Glory mostly consists of Links that for some reason play all exactly the same sorta like an AI. And real douchey people. Even when I won I still felt slightly crappy. But I guess FG gets you used to being beaten down and spat on and nothing here compares to that here so it helps you in the long run I guess.
Funny story, some scumbag actually beat me several times and wrote "LinkSucks" and left afterwards. Some other scumbag also wrote "Too Easy".

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
Funny story, some scumbag actually beat me several times and wrote "LinkSucks" and left afterwards. Some other scumbag also wrote "Too Easy".
Wow man thats rough. I cant really give you much advice for this but dont take them to seriously. I would reccomend you not to play For Glory and 1v1 alot of people here. And when you feel that you have improved alot since last time then go back online and wreck everyone there.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
When I've ever won in FG, its a huge relief. I can take a breath of fresh air and make a wish.

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
When I've ever won in FG, its a huge relief. I can take a breath of fresh air and make a wish.
I don't know if feeling like that after winning in FG is a good thing. Kinda sucks our community has these really repulsive people who feel the need to rub their victory in the face of their opponent after a fight. Foxus I would highly reccomend you fight people in the smashboards as I have said before.

It helped me alot man I became a better player overall.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I don't know if feeling like that after winning in FG is a good thing. Kinda sucks our community has these really repulsive people who feel the need to rub their victory in the face of their opponent after a fight. Foxus I would highly reccomend you fight people in the smashboards as I have said before.

It helped me alot man I became a better player overall.
Remember I spend most of my time in FF, since I normally have little confidence venturing in FG.

I'm working on trying to find people here who can help me improve.

Top Bottom