• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to counter shield-grab?

GuyWhoUsesMarth

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! So I often spam shffl's when I'm trying to go on the offensive on my opponent, however I have a friend who spams shield grabs and would literally camp a side and wait for me to shffl towards him and shield grab and it's really annoying. I know the obvious thing to do is to side-step as I approach to mindgame or to try to grab him but he seems to always time them right.. Is my playstyle the issue? Any advice that you can provide for me? Thanks! :D

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
Outplay him; instead of SHFFLing, approach with an empty jump/just run up and grab.

You have to bait a reaction from him or trick him into something so that you can punish; a perfect tool in this scenario is dashdancing.

Last edited:
Attack his shield so that you're just out of reach from a shield grab. Pressure his shield fast enough that he can't shield grab you (you'll need something as fast as Falco's late dair > shine)

Last edited:

Spazzy

Smash Apprentice
Best idea seems like to not shffl all the time. Judging from your mains, you could just spam lasers at him unless falcon. If you're playing as falcon, dash dance.
I may be wrong but it's just what I think

Vizc

Smash Rookie
SHFFL into Shine or Sidestep won't get grabbed with the general insta-timing people tend to use, but requires some dedication to pull off regularly. If they predict said action, it's possible to punish, but this sounds like a playing with friends scenario. If you wanted to stay more simple with playing, just pick a character with a larger grab range than his.

There's no way to win without being a little bit of a ****.

Last edited:
Top Bottom