• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to correctly approach a slow tilt-heavy Sheik?

jbvh

sicdf
I've grown accustom to the classic and aggressive Sheik players, but lately I've been struggling with slow and tilt-heavy Sheik players. They play style is generally crouch, slow-walk, tilt, and fair. I feel that the constant crouching also mitigates the bair a bit as a forward pressure, so constant fading away bairs are usually the only option for me--which makes for an arduous playstyle.

So, any recommended videos, insight into the matchup, or general advice for playing slower Sheiks?

jbvh

sicdf
I am going to answer my own question.

• If you find your self in a situation where Sheik is ftilt'ing a lot the first thing you need to realize is that if you get caught up in it, you must DI appropriately. It's very easy to DI in from a Sheik ftilt because your approach is usually already forward towards her. This will give her a lot of free movement and punishes that otherwise should not happen.
  • Pound. Seriously. OoS wavedash into pound or related. A well spaced pound just destroys Sheik's ftilt. If they start catching on and fearing the pound then go into crouch mode and wait for them to try a more aggressive approach.
  • Needles suck and it is part of the slow Sheik metagame. Try and bait out the needles in the air. You're going to be much more agile ultimately. A slow Sheik will just find a place comfortable to recharge once she throws her needles. Put the pressure on her!
The rest seems to be the fairly typical Sheik matchup once you popped them up.

Those are just some of my thoughts from some practice tonight. I'll see what else I come up with over the week.

squible2

Smash Cadet
If the sheik is just crouching, you can hit her with a well space extra low bair and be safe from crouch cancelling. You can also crouch cancel her down tilt and down tilt at low percent into forward smash which is a favorable trade for puff. If you manage to get close to the sheik and crouch you can rest her ftilt.

I'll have to try out pound as a counter to ftilt. I'm not quiet sure if pound always beats ftilt, but I'll try it out next time I play.

If the sheik is playing really slow, you can also just not approach and make them antsy. Needles are pretty easy to avoid, just duck. However, jigglypuff wiggles when she crouches. When you are in the high part of your wiggle, the needles will hit, so be carefull. Remember there is a timer. If you have the lead and sheik refuses to approach, you can chill for as long as the clock is still going. If you can force her to approach, it's very easy to punish anything she does with bairs or crouch -> rest.

Last edited:

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Slow and tilt heavy shiek?

sounds like a ****ty player to me

Unless you mean campy, and unwilling to approach.

Last edited:
Top Bottom