• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to beat Roy

Trigit_the_robot

Smash Rookie
I am a relatively new smash player, and I always play against my friend who mains roy. I was hoping somebody could give me some tips on how to beat him. I main yoshi by the way.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Your best bet is asking in the Roy character forum. My non-Roy-or-Yoshi-main advice: throw lots of eggs. Yoshi's up special is a very useful tool for dealing damage and keeping someone away, and close-ranged characters hate to be zoned. If he calls you cheap, that's the salt talking. Savor it.

Yoshi is unflinchable (super armor) during his midair jump. Try to use that to get some hits in when Roy is high enough in the air or near a ledge--you can come from underneath. Down special (butt stomp) also has super armor if you use it on the ground, so do that when you can get away with it for some good damage/knockback. Down air is great for racking up damage if you can land it. Up smash has comparable range to Roy's sword and is pretty reliable. Grabs just suck. Not that you shouldn't use them at all, but Yoshi's is real slow and punishable, especially against a fast character, so make sure you know you're going to land it before attempting a tongue move.

Dr. Edgeworth

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-6422-2780-9325
Roy has the same problems as all the other swordies, his getting back to stage hinges almost entirely on his double jump at high percents. Go someone like Falco or Wolf who can gimp him with lasers or a character like Jigglypuff who can go deep offstage and exploit his limited recovery options.

Top Bottom