• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to beat Olimar?

legendz00

Smash Rookie
Ok, my good friend, and biggest competition uses Olimar. His basic strategy is he spams pikmin, and once i come in close he spams down on the c stick. Is there anything I can do to counter this strategy? Olimar's down smash comes up really fast and I have no idea what I can do.

edit: I think it is kinda obvious, but I forgot to mention I use Wario.

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
I find this to be a tough matchup. When olimar is just standing there, he has the advantage. Most olimars hide in thier shield to abuse that awesome shield grab range they have. Try ignoring the pikmin throws and aiming straight for him. Bite takes care of shield campers, and so does shield poking with the fair. You can also full jump fair into nair into jab (my favorite option, not nessesarily the best) Hopefully he will get hit by the jab. When edgegaurding your obvious priority is edgehogging , since olimar can't grab the ledge with his tether if someones on it. Be careful though because good olimars throw pikmin while recovering so you might need to time your roll/ledgegrab.

I personally just wait a bit (they like to recover low) and when the time is right hug the ledge. If you feel unsafe doing that, stay close to the ledge on the stage holding your shield up, and if he uses the ledge attack animation drop your shield and fsmash. If he ledgehops, reverse fsmash. Why? because chances are he will land on the other side of you, and if he doesn't fsmash even hits behind wario. Spam dair throughout the whole match aswell, its awesome.

And I really, really hate suggesting this, but sometimes if hes on the other side of the stage a wheelie ride on your motorcycle can throw off his camping.

Hope that helps. People should read this, Wario is pretty disadvantaged vs olimar.

legendz00

Smash Rookie
Thanks, that actually does help quite a bit, I'll try some of those techniques. For some reason when I play Wario I feel SEVERELY disadvantaged when facing Olimar, Marth, and Metaknight.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Using Wario's bike can actually be very surprising to defensive Olimars. For example, if an Olimar is throwing Pikmin, watch and see how many Pikmin are actually in sync with Olimar. If Olimar throws too many Pikmin, there will be a small window where his Pikmin are walking back to him, and he has pretty much no defense. Use Wario's bike to hit Olimar during this window. Be careful, though, because Olimar can knock Wario off of his bike using a forward-air. That's why I suggest paying close attention to how many Pikmin are next to Olimar.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I like to attack Olimar from above. Then I can get a couple hits in. If you think the Olimar is starting to catch on you can switch it up and start attacking from a different angle.

NessySmashBros

Smash Apprentice
Using Wario's bike can actually be very surprising to defensive Olimars. For example, if an Olimar is throwing Pikmin, watch and see how many Pikmin are actually in sync with Olimar. If Olimar throws too many Pikmin, there will be a small window where his Pikmin are walking back to him, and he has pretty much no defense. Use Wario's bike to hit Olimar during this window. Be careful, though, because Olimar can knock Wario off of his bike using a forward-air. That's why I suggest paying close attention to how many Pikmin are next to Olimar.
As an olimar I have to say watch out of Dair from olimar wile on your bike, I will knock you off. My friend always uses it thinking he will get me but i come in with a dair to hit him off.

sforbis1

Smash Rookie
Wario's nasty aerial control is great for short hopping right into Olimar's face. If things get too bad, pull back and wait for him to make his mistakes, like throwing his pikmin out.

Never forget about Wario's bair also. A short hop bair can send a defensive Olimar reeling. Wario just moves too fast when he is airborne.

Also, remember Olimar's fsmash has really good distance, longer than Wario's! You may have to change your KO strategy a bit depending on where or not the opponent abuses his smashes.

dinhotheone

Smash Apprentice
if ur doing a tournament sorta thing, cp rainbow cruise = ****. just harry him with your superior aeirial ability and laugh at the combination **** of 1) suiciding pikimin and 2)no edges for tether recovery. but even with this stage you gota win one round at least. you cant win solely on cp's.

if he spams down on the c stick...dair, thats what you should be doing anyway. you should be in the air most of the time with wario anyway, bite often. one thing about facing nubs is that they dont know how to handle your own cheap tactics. BIKE and BITE will anger many a nub because they usually either shield or roll consistantly, not both meaning mixing up bike and bite will give them no end of trouble. often times i double jump into a fastfalling dair which ive practiced enough to be able to end right before the ground and i go into a bite. i find that works as well. also, if hes not hiding in his shield, short hop autocanceled dair has amazing range and can be di'd safely out of shieldgrab range.

sforbis1

Smash Rookie
IMO we should all bow down to our tiny overlords.

For real though, Olimar is a real underrated character who should see more tourny play. I am quickly getting better with him, I just need to work on getting my Pikmin in order while keeping jerks like Wario outta my face :p

sforbis1

Smash Rookie
You know, I just watched some videos with players fighting Olimars.

It seems that an extreme pressure game might also be appropriate. Wario's down smash has the advantage of hitting multiple times, sometimes "clearing out" Pikmin. Once Olimar loses his oompa loompas, keep applying an aggresive pressure game to make sure he can't pull them out again.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Do NOT use the down smash. I repeat, do not use the downsmash!
It's practically begging for a Fsmash in the face.

sforbis1

Smash Rookie
I don't know man, I have great success short hopping with a dair then c-sticking my down smash. It could just be the people I play against, as Olimar is not seen often in the tourneys here in Charlotte.

Edit: Ok, so I just got done testing for a bit against a lvl 9 comp Olimar and have concluded while the quick dsmash works in some situations, an uptilt is a better follow up as it can help chain into more attacks. I did manage to deal with the loose pikmin situation a little better, but not near enough to make a difference like it does against my friends (Who I have concluded do not play Olimar too well). :p

Top Bottom