• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to beat Link on FG?

octobutts

Smash Rookie
My five most used characters online are Dedede, Peach, Mario, Falcon and DK. But no matter who I'm playing as, I always dread seeing the other player choosing Link. He's super annoying to fight! Projectile-based characters are a chore to fight in general and he's probably the worst of the lot. He's like a powerhouse, at least online. He lures you in with projectiles, his attacks seem to take priority over EVERYTHING, he's heavy and can KO quickly. It seems like his usmash in particular just seems to cover everything. How are you supposed to beat these guys?

1FC0

Smash Lord
Falcon might be able to rush him down like he can with R.O.B.
Although admittedly I do not know much about most matchups that does not include R.O.B.

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
Well first off his upsmash is super unsafe....

But anyway, what you want to do is learn to perfect shield. It's not too hard unless you're in massive lag. Just walk towards Link and perfect shield the projectiles he tosses at you (If you want to play Smash seriously, learning to approach projectile characters like this is a REQUIREMENT). If the Link player is using fully charged arrows though, the best option is just to jump over it.

Once you get near Link, just hold shield. From there try and see his reaction. Will he roll? Grab? Jump? If you can punish him for it, go ahead. If he gets away to spam some more projectiles, remember his action for the next time you approach. FG Links rarely mix it up.

I would also suggest going to the character boards of those that you play and finding more in-depth help there, instead of just the basics I wrote about here.

Larry Atona

Smash Rookie
Most of the Links I get online are @ss, they're very predictable so just be alert on what move they're gonna throw, since I use Fox against Links, I have no problem.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
jump, they can't spam at you that well in the air
That's the last thing you should be doing. His aerials come out faster than his ground moves and if he baits out an air dodge with his projectiles then prepare to be punished. And you also can't shield in the air.

ChaikaBestGirl

Smash Journeyman
NNID
digdugfury
That's the last thing you should be doing. His aerials come out faster than his ground moves and if he baits out an air dodge with his projectiles then prepare to be punished. And you also can't shield in the air.
it usually works for me, once they start charging the bow or throw the gale boomerang I go at him with aerials because of the endlag of both of the two. You can get bonus style points for using Gale Boomerang to get closer to him

Last edited:

Django2010

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5086-2677-4948
it usually works for me, once they start charging the bow or throw the gale boomerang I go at him with aerials because of the endlag of both of the two. You can get bonus style points for using Gale Boomerang to get closer to him
Aerials work well against Link. I main him a lot and people tend to ditto. So, instead of using bow and boomerang, I mainly use his Nair to close the distance, followed by short jabs or a grab if players good. Just gotta watch out for his up smash.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Not all Link players are stupid. lmfao

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
@ TurboLink TurboLink
We're talking about FG Link here. It's nearly a meme at this point that nearly all of them are terrible.

Top Bottom