• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to beat fast characters?

2k6

Smash Cadet
So I faced a japanese player using Sonic on FG and its really hard to deal with him. I can't do a lot of damage because I can't hit, I tried to camp on the edges to B-throw him but he will just camp too in the middle with spin. I also tried F/B-airs but it becomes more easy for him to combo me in the air.

I did forward smash too but then its too slow to catch him up when he is spinning towards me and the lag after the smash makes me vulnerable to him. Any strategies to defeat fast characters?

Hadon

Smash Rookie
From my experiences with Sheik, Falcon, Fox and such chars destroy Olimar in the air. Your F-air and B-air are for slower chars so trying them is a much higher risk/ low reward situation when against Sonic.

Yes, you want them off the stage, but aim to kill. Its best to rack up % over time a predict to end them with smashes, fast chars are generally light so smashes send them far. Smashes are your ground control and its olimar's ranged advantage with Pigs do they're generally safer in the right situations

Youll get better with predicting so just keep playing Oli . The key to stop a speedy Gonzales character is predicting those fast movements.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
From my experiences with Sheik, Falcon, Fox and such chars destroy Olimar in the air. Your F-air and B-air are for slower chars so trying them is a much higher risk/ low reward situation when against Sonic.

Yes, you want them off the stage, but aim to kill. Its best to rack up % over time a predict to end them with smashes, fast chars are generally light so smashes send them far. Smashes are your ground control and its olimar's ranged advantage with Pigs do they're generally safer in the right situations

Youll get better with predicting so just keep playing Oli . The key to stop a speedy Gonzales character is predicting those fast movements.
Gonna agree with you for the most part. The big thing when fighting fast characters is to respect there speed, and punish when they whiff and attack. It's gonna be hard to do, but paying attention to when you have a purple for the Pikmin toss can help a ton. For Sonic in specific I would say shield his spin dash a lot, and try to punish with either a fsmash if it's a grounded one, or if he jumps in the air just run back and try again. You can also try grabbing or pivot grabbing, but Olimar's grab has a lot of ending lag so you can get easily punished if its missed.

2k6

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the tips! Maybe I was a bit too aggressive.. I took 1 stock from him each match we played but after that I always forgot to play campy. I forgot to save the replays too because I was too focused on having a revenge for the next game. Thanks again :)

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Thanks for the tips! Maybe I was a bit too aggressive.. I took 1 stock from him each match we played but after that I always forgot to play campy. I forgot to save the replays too because I was too focused on having a revenge for the next game. Thanks again :)
I can say this with confidence. You cannot be the sole aggressor as Olimar in this game. It is to easy for a move to miss, and you to be punished considerably. Abuse the camping ability you have, and attack when they leave and opening. Being able to switch between the two is needed to be able to play Olimar to his fullest.

extremecoopster

Smash Cadet
NNID
kittykat2
If the character you are facing against is a bit too headstrong when it comes to speed, a Fsmash or grab may work. What about this nifty trick I found? In the middle of Sonic's Down Spec/Side Spec or any other attack that involves the entire body in motion try to time a grab. It will totally screw up his/her game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom