• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to beat 'Explosive Balloon Trip'?

MeteorSpike

Smash Cadet
Title. This custom UpB seems to be virtually impenetrable. Unless I'm somehow challenging Villager from below, the balloons appear to just cancel any aerials thrown at Villager, while counterattacking the edgeguarder. Some of my characters don't have projectiles to safely attempt to pop the balloons from a distance quickly enough before Villager can manually explode the balloons to gain massive vertical height and successfully recovery anyway. What's more is that it almost allows for some Brawl-esque style edge-camping, since the balloons linger so long after Villager reaches the edge, letting him get free FAir's or SideB's without fear of being put in an extremely bad situation. I'm at a loss on how to trump this custom UpB, any tips?

Wonderf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wonderf
3DS FC
5172-2136-8763
I have to agree with you, balloon trip is very hard to deal but personally the best solution would be just rush down Villager and get the gimp.

Last edited:

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
I've made some earnest attempts to wrestle with the ChrisG's UMVC3 Morrigan/Doctor Doom/Vergil styled Custom Villager some time ago.

First from Bowser Jr's angle for a little bit, which originally came from here:
Jr can indeed rush down that kid, despite him having a juggle-breaking 3 frame NAir and longer-ranging UAir & DAir. There is the question of "Should I feed him Mechakoopas or uncharged Cannonballs?" To that, I say Mechakoopas, because you then unlock the use of charged Cannonballs that can pierce his Lloids, Slingshots, and Trees. However, if you go for this, you better keep a close eye on whether or not Mecha's still Pocketed. You don't want to feed him charged Cannonballs by accident, since it'll KO ridiculously early while piercing Mechas. I've had a buddy Jr in FG Teams lose a stock to this, and I couldn't defend him, due to that Villager's partner succeeding in walling me out long enough to secure that KO. The Villager may also read this game plan by quickly throwing away Mechakoopas (likely onto your squishy face), which will then bar you from freely lobbing charged Cannonballs at him. This can still be an opening for you to get in if you read the Mecha throws.

Side B Jump Cancels will definitely be one of your best friends here, for it'll help you survive the kid's bowling ball edgeguards, as well as his other more active edgeguard attempts. However, you better hope the kid's not above you when you start up Up B, because his DAir & especially his NAir will likely gimp you early, possibly even when mashing the airdodge button to try to get your Car back. On-stage Side B JCs are great for dodging Tree growth & chopdowns, Lloids, and even Slingshots if he's been trained to immediately jump after seeing you JC out of Side B enough times (you can airdodge immediately after JC-ing if he waits for you to JC before Slingshotting).

Against Custom Villager, I'm not entirely sure which deck to take. I'm thinking 3322 or 3122. I'm at least certain that Impatient is the best of the 3 Mechas for this, because of how little gain he gets from Pocketing it (doesn't it explode in his hands within a second or two after bringing it out?). Air Cannon is probably the least self-destructive of the 3 Cannons we can fire at him as well, aside from edgeguarding us.

I want to say that Meteor Ejection will be helpful in surviving his far-out edgeguards and handling his Explosive balloons when we're trying to edgeguard him, but its lack of vertical height is painful for trying to get around his other edgeguards when our super armor's gone, as well as limiting the distance that we can go in edgeguarding him.

I really don't know which Side B to bring. I want to say Grounding Dash to get us through Pushy Lloids, Trip Saplings, and Slingshots, but what would Drift offer us here? Would Side 1 suffice here?

Would Customger swap out Pocket for Garden in response to us repping Impatient & Air Cannon?
I would like to add that Jr can safely drive through the Trip Sapling with ALL of his Side B moves, a powerful option that not too many characters have. Jr's Up 1 & Up 2 can EASILY reach a Plankager that's trying to hang out below the ledge, and Jr can retreat to the middle of the stage after starting Up 1 or Up 2 as well, protecting him from any Explosive Balloons that may be lurking beneath him & hidden from the players' eyes. While I'd WISH to bring Big Mechas as an item to throw at Plankager when he's below the ledge as well, he has Pocket and even Garden to make Jr respect it enough to run Impatient Mechas instead. However, my question at the end of the above quote remained unanswered, so I ask again here: Would Custom Mayor swap out Pocket for Garden in response to Jr repping Impatient Mechas & Air Cannon?

Then I made a much bigger attempt at confronting ChrisGer with Duck Hunt during the week when the DH boards were discussing the Villager MU, and I led the charge on the Customs side of the MU, as this shows. Just to warn you, it's a long read, and it goes into the next page as well.

Another character I've heard & seen being capable of dealing with Custom Mayor's Up 2 is Pikachu, whose Neutral 1 travels down the ledge, and whose Down 1 can travel straight down if used in such a way that the Thunder line misses Pikachu, both of which can reach down to where Plankager will be hiding out at when he has his fortress set up.

There's also this EVO set featuring Larry Lurr's Sheik VS CaptAwesum's ChrisGer:

EDIT: Tweek may not have ran any Custom Specials like I would in this set (3122 and 3322 would be among the decks I'd consider, as well as 3112 and 3312), but he has shown that it's very possible for Jr to handle this MU. I would dare say better than DH can.

Last edited:

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
Get a percent advantage and wait it out. If time runs you win. Also, take advantage of invincibility. If he's constantly regrabbing, it might be worth trading a Fsmash for a balloon.

Top Bottom