• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to beat a super campy Mega Man?

MegaMango

Smash Cadet
So, I came across a Megaman today online. Normally, when I play online, I fare pretty well. My main is Zelda, and I mostly win with her, and if I can't win with her, I use ZSS. When I lose, most of the time, I can see why I lost, and I accept defeat and move on.

However, today, the salt was real.

I tried everything against him, and I played him like 6 or 7 times, and I only managed to take a single stock from him once, which is both extremely embarrassing and frustrating.

This is what he/she would do: Megaman would just stay on one side and spam buzz saw and crash bomber. I could never get close to him on the ground without taking too much damage, by the time I get sort of close, he'd spam pellets. If I approached from the air, he'd shield against any aerial attack and then grab me. If I didn't attack, landing lag would cause me to be vulnerable, and he'd still grab me. I could never ever get close to him, and every attempt I made at approaching him resulted in me getting grabbed. I tried Zelda, Marth, ZSS, Samus and even Fox (whom I never play as). It seemed like the only person I could lay a finger against him was with Toon Link; I would crouch and block all of his projectiles, but even then, approaching him was insanely difficult because he just kept grabbing me.

Any tips or videos on how to play against this?

Last edited:

ImReallyFeelingIt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sailings
Not the best with Campy Mega Mans either (despite being the fastest character in the game) but did you ever Side Step any of his grabs? Landing Lag doesn't take that long unless you're using a fair that adds to it. Also characters with reflects (Mario, Palutena, Pit, Ness) could of been of help too. With those characters you may have been able to run up to him while reflecting his attacks (though don't reflect too close, I bet he would grab you)

I'm not good with Mega Man match ups but I hope I helped you slightly.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Metal Blades can be caught, and if you have it in hand Mega Man can't throw another one, so that takes away one of his longer ranged options. MBs are fairly easy to catch because they travel so slowly, and a lot of people do it by accident with dash attacks and aerials.

Crash Bomber is a long range poke, and a pretty weak one until is explodes. You can slap them out of the air with a jab it shield them for almost no shield damage.

Pellets have slight end lag after MM fires a barrage of 1-3. He can't grsb you, or do anything aside from jump, during these frames. This is the best time to pressure or punish him.

Generally MM has the most trouble with fast, rushdown approaches. Running at him and power shielding his projectiles is a good way to close the distance. MM also doesn't have the best roll punishes--they're either safe and do low damage if they hit (pellets, metal blade) or require a commitment (usmash, fsmash, dsmash) that can be punished on whiff. So rolling toward or behind him can actually be viable sometimes, and is less risky than it would be against, say, Mario.

Some characters can also straight outcamp us. Fox can run away and spam lasers, and the only thing we can do in reaponse is send out two slow-moving and easily blocked projectiles (Crash Bomber and Leaf Shield), or try to close the distance. Usually even a campy MM will opt to do the latter.

You also just happened to use a lot of characters that we consider to be good MUs for MM. We have a tougher time vs. characters like Sheik and Mario.

MegaMango

Smash Cadet
Not the best with Campy Mega Mans either (despite being the fastest character in the game) but did you ever Side Step any of his grabs? Landing Lag doesn't take that long unless you're using a fair that adds to it. Also characters with reflects (Mario, Palutena, Pit, Ness) could of been of help too. With those characters you may have been able to run up to him while reflecting his attacks (though don't reflect too close, I bet he would grab you)

I'm not good with Mega Man match ups but I hope I helped you slightly.
I never thought of using Palutena... I started to use her for a while, and I got pretty good too. I guess picking her up again wouldn't be too bad.

Metal Blades can be caught, and if you have it in hand Mega Man can't throw another one, so that takes away one of his longer ranged options. MBs are fairly easy to catch because they travel so slowly, and a lot of people do it by accident with dash attacks and aerials.

Crash Bomber is a long range poke, and a pretty weak one until is explodes. You can slap them out of the air with a jab it shield them for almost no shield damage.

Pellets have slight end lag after MM fires a barrage of 1-3. He can't grsb you, or do anything aside from jump, during these frames. This is the best time to pressure or punish him.

Generally MM has the most trouble with fast, rushdown approaches. Running at him and power shielding his projectiles is a good way to close the distance. MM also doesn't have the best roll punishes--they're either safe and do low damage if they hit (pellets, metal blade) or require a commitment (usmash, fsmash, dsmash) that can be punished on whiff. So rolling toward or behind him can actually be viable sometimes, and is less risky than it would be against, say, Mario.

Some characters can also straight outcamp us. Fox can run away and spam lasers, and the only thing we can do in reaponse is send out two slow-moving and easily blocked projectiles (Crash Bomber and Leaf Shield), or try to close the distance. Usually even a campy MM will opt to do the latter.

You also just happened to use a lot of characters that we consider to be good MUs for MM. We have a tougher time vs. characters like Sheik and Mario.
Thanks for the tip! I used to main Samus and Sheik in melee, I guess I can try to give Sheik a try. I really like her new Down+B, and I notice it's a really good kill move and relatively safe gap closer.

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
So, I came across a Megaman today online. Normally, when I play online, I fare pretty well. My main is Zelda, and I mostly win with her, and if I can't win with her, I use ZSS. When I lose, most of the time, I can see why I lost, and I accept defeat and move on.

However, today, the salt was real.

I tried everything against him, and I played him like 6 or 7 times, and I only managed to take a single stock from him once, which is both extremely embarrassing and frustrating.

This is what he/she would do: Megaman would just stay on one side and spam buzz saw and crash bomber. I could never get close to him on the ground without taking too much damage, by the time I get sort of close, he'd spam pellets. If I approached from the air, he'd shield against any aerial attack and then grab me. If I didn't attack, landing lag would cause me to be vulnerable, and he'd still grab me. I could never ever get close to him, and every attempt I made at approaching him resulted in me getting grabbed. I tried Zelda, Marth, ZSS, Samus and even Fox (whom I never play as). It seemed like the only person I could lay a finger against him was with Toon Link; I would crouch and block all of his projectiles, but even then, approaching him was insanely difficult because he just kept grabbing me.

Any tips or videos on how to play against this?
Farore's wind is great for punishing predictable spam, if you main zelda I have to assume you are super familiar with the range and effectiveness of this move in Smash 4. In this case crash bomb->metal blade->repeat. One option is to even tank the crash bomb then use Farore's wind to score a hit and maybe pass off the bomb (someone let me know if that is incorrect). Obviously as zelda you have Nayru's love which is another tool for reflecting not just those projectiles but uair, dair, pellet, and fsmash. Finally your downb is a wall that blocks megaman's projectiles for a short period of time. You could use downb on metal blade then din's fire to put on your own ranged pressure.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Thinking that reflectors will stop Mega Man is dangerous thinking. They won't. It will stop him from using f-smash, but that's about it. Mega Man doesn't like people with better mobility than he has. People that can weave in and out and punish his slower moves.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
QuickMan for DLC
instant megaman killer plz.

Falco does a pretty good job both reflecting and approaching.

MegaMango

Smash Cadet
Farore's wind is great for punishing predictable spam, if you main zelda I have to assume you are super familiar with the range and effectiveness of this move in Smash 4. In this case crash bomb->metal blade->repeat. One option is to even tank the crash bomb then use Farore's wind to score a hit and maybe pass off the bomb (someone let me know if that is incorrect). Obviously as zelda you have Nayru's love which is another tool for reflecting not just those projectiles but uair, dair, pellet, and fsmash. Finally your downb is a wall that blocks megaman's projectiles for a short period of time. You could use downb on metal blade then din's fire to put on your own ranged pressure.
Against a good player, Faroe's wind can only do so much. They usually can predict it, shield, then grab you once out of shield. You have to be veeeery careful when using it. Metal blade actually goes through Down+B (if I'm correct). Nayru's love is really good, but while using it, you're immobile. If I try to approach in the air with it, he just shields, then grabs.

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Against a good player, Faroe's wind can only do so much. They usually can predict it, shield, then grab you once out of shield. You have to be veeeery careful when using it. Metal blade actually goes through Down+B (if I'm correct). Nayru's love is really good, but while using it, you're immobile. If I try to approach in the air with it, he just shields, then grabs.
First we were talking about a predictable spammer, now we are talking about good players.

I know my advice wasn't some silver bullet. Zelda is the 3rd slowest characters and has one of the laggiest set of aerials so it's just a weakness she has. Every single one of her moves has over 20 frames of landing lag. This is basically why she isn't viable in high level play. She is basically a light weight character that plays like a heavy (though much faster startup). The name of her whole game is try to hit bair and fair. I'm not great with zelda by any means. I know megaman isn't as laggy as samus so he's a bit harder to punish, but he can't shield when he is throwing the metal blade. What do you want me to tell you? Change mains to someone that has an attack that is safe on shield?

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
when megaman throws his metalblade at you, rush attack him. almost always, you'll catch the metalblade and you'll be able to punish his standing lag. keep constant pressure on him in the air. zss has higher priority and fast jabs against MM. you should really rush him down and keep a very close range against MM

MegaMango

Smash Cadet
You guys were right about characters that can rush him. I used Sheik last time I fought one, and it didn't go too bad. I want to try a Palutena against one.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Try short-hopping over his spamming of projectiles, and striking with an aerial. Watch out for his forward-dash, though.
Since he has a bit of lag after throwing out a projectile, moves like Bouncing Fish with Sheik is very effective.

Top Bottom