• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to beat a "For glory" ness

Status
Not open for further replies.

MulchDiggums

Smash Rookie
Howzit going Ness players. I seem to never be able to beat Ness in for Glory. I mean I get rekt. I have a bit over 4k games played and can count on one hand the number of times I've beaten a ness. I tend to play Bowser, Link, or pit. Here is a list of things I notice, and things I have a problem with. Maybe yall can help me up my game.

-I cant seem to avoid the pkfire down throw combo, and it does to much damage to not avoid.
-I cant seem to track Ness's hitbox. I throw out attacks that look like they hit and dont.
- All of his moves seem to grossly out range and out prioritize me.
- I can never seem to punish his dodges or air dodges even with bowsers whirling fortress.
- Ness throws out attacks that miss and is able to throw out another before I can punish. This often causes me to get hit as I am trying to punish his missed attack.

Parian

Smash Rookie
Hmm. Do you have the same trouble against other faster characters or just Ness? Most of your problems are honestly best solved by playing against a Ness a bit - you'll get used to the hitbox, learn how to avoid getting hit by PK Fire, and learn the priority of his moves.

If you have the same trouble with other characters with a similar playstyle though, I'd suggest reading up on how to deal with that specific style on the Bowser/Link/Pit boards.

Uffe

Smash Hero
1. Bowser getting comboed by Ness' d-throw > fair is going to happen, I think, regardless of what you try to do. He's a large target and he's heavy. Link and Pit might get caught up in this as well, but I think they have a better chance at escaping, but Link is also another heavy character, just not like Bowser. You can DI upward out after the d-throw. But even with people who have done this with me, I've been able to still catch them in it.

2. Sounds like character whiffing problems. I don't know what to say about that.

3. Don't know what to say for Bowser, but Link and Pit have projectile that out range all of Ness' attacks.

4. Whirling Fortress shouldn't be missing spotdodgers because it hangs around for so long. As for air dodging, you either need to be faster or delay the attack.

5. Ness has lag on some of his attacks. If you're Bowser and getting hit by PKF, then obviously you're going to take another hit. Bowser can also punch while in the PKF pillar, but if you were against my Ness, I'd advise against this because I'd just throw more at you, which would still be a problem, because then I could go for a grab. Most Ness players in FG aren't good, though, so they'll most likely always make the mistake by going for a grab. I don't think Link or Pit can jab while in the PKF pillar. Those characters shouldn't really be having that much of a problem against Ness. I think Pit should do better than the other two.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
  1. Pick Link
  2. Alternate between boomerang and bow shots
  3. If reflected back, stand still, and your shield will nullify the shots
  4. Repeat ad nauseum until damage is high
  5. Land pretty much any attack and KO
  6. Stall while 1 stock ahead and win
- Pit is extremely easy for Ness to deal with, since Pit is basically a bad version of the swordsmen, with energy projectiles.
- Bowser ignores PK Fire and can punish with just a dash attack, when at low percentages. At everything else, learn to shield when you hear "PK!" or get used to hearing "OKAY! *ding!*"
- Stick with Link (or Bowser if you're much better with him.) Ness is really light and these kinds of heavy hitters can KO Ness really early.
- Link can build up damage well, with several non-energy options, and Bowser can edgeguard with fire breath, when Ness is trying to recover from below. (Also, Bowser's fair can edgeguard well, too.)
- Ness is punished hardest by players that shield his laggiest attacks and characters with the speed to capitalize on it most. This means Link will be your best option, of those you've presented. With a passive shield that can block Ness' assault and common setups, as well as great reach, agility, power, and size, Link can be a real headache for Ness, online.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Hello, welcome to the Ness board!

While I hope you got some good advice, I will suggest next time you ask a question like this in either the Question and Answer thread (Click Me!) or the Difficult Matchup Discussion thread (Click Me!) I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread in a few days, but I'll leave it open for now in case you wish to respond. If you have further questions, you may ask in the social or PM me.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Farkus

Smash Rookie
NNID
Farkus004
3DS FC
4485-1001-4455
As a Bowser main, you are just going to have to accept being combo food. If this Ness only grabs out of PK fires, then stay in shield more. To relieve pressure, try up B-ing out of shield, or jump nairing. You will want to get Ness off stage as soon as possible, his recovery is dangerous, but you can often jump and hit him before he hits himself with the PK thunder. Most Ness's wont PK thunder until he have no other choice, remember that for edgeguarding to time your attacks.

DanceLouisDance

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1950-9158-5550
usually when i play a bowser, all they really have to is stand still most of the time. and dodge because your neutral-A and Down-A can get ness everytime. i dont know what move it is that makes bowser spin but thats a good one. just make the ness come to you. once he has a lot of damage you can either get a F-Smash or That body slam grab. and to be a jerk *not really* use your fire as an edge guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom