• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to be Rob as Ness? Tips Needed

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
I always lose to a good Rob at tourneys. Any advice or Tips?
I actually main Ness, ROB and Villager so I should be able to help you. ROB thrives on zoning people out. He isn't quick enough nor are any of his moves when some gets in his face. Make sure to shield or jump over ROB's projectiles. If you pick up the gyro he cannot spawn another one until that one is gone so if you can catch the gyro.
Learn this tech: z drop to aerial! It's simple. All you have to do is z drop an item and immediately do any aerial. If performed correctly Ness should do an aerial and regrab the gyro. Practice this in training mode by spawning a banana and doing the tech. It may take a bit but is totally worth learning. With this you can pressure ROB and keep his gyro too, rendering it unusable to him.
If you know he always shoot out a gyro and then a laser. Read his moves and block the gyro and then put up your PSI Magnet for some free percent back from the laser. But don't do it too much because he will catch on to your habit. Use your fair and nair to space yourself from him. ROB has a difficult time returning to the ground because of his slow and laggy aerials. Read his moves and go for a grab, ROB is combo food.

Well that's all I got for now! :)

Zeepington

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zeeper
Do everything you can not to get punished. PK Fire in midair is my main strategy to evade punishes easily.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Do everything you can not to get punished. PK Fire in midair is my main strategy to evade punishes easily.
Just remember not to do PK Fire too much in the air or people will catch on. Maybe spacing with fairs, bairs and nairs is a better option in general.
But that's just my thinking.

Asa

Smash Hero
Don't get hit by lasers/gyro. They are telegraphed and relatively easy to avoid. You can bat or absorb lazers (only bat the big one and only if he doesn't angle it ).

Don't get grabbed around 80 percent and higher. Dthrow sets up for uair which is an good kill move. Always be aware of the uair when you're in the air.

Rob gets juggled by pkt pretty easily, abuse this.

Would avoid halberd, dreamland, or delfino due to the low ceiling cheese with uair.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
Just remember not to do PK Fire too much in the air or people will catch on. Maybe spacing with fairs, bairs and nairs is a better option in general.
But that's just my thinking.
For that matter, don't use any move too much or people will catch on.

Also, ROB's recovery is terrible, from below.
Abuse this. Hard.
He's probably one of the easiest dair spike targets in the game, during his recovery.
If you're at high percents, though, and fear a YOLO uair from him when you'd go to dair, just PK Fire him and he will actually be dragged quite far down.
If you've practiced, this will then be the perfect time to seal the stock with a dair spike.

When you're too damaged to risk it, remember that a PKT stage spike is also an easy option on large targets like ROB.

It is generally a good idea to just keep throwing ROB offstage and get him to waste the fuel on his recovery, too.

Zeepington

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zeeper
Unrecommended, yet effective alternative : Screw Ness' bat, use Lucas' bat to reflect projectiles.

Top Bottom