• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to be effective when facing G&W?

ollecram

Smash Rookie
me too. i have the hardest time facing my friend's G&W. i cant beat him for my life. it seems that all his attacks have priority over mine. also he does up-b and then dair a lot but i cant punish him for it because he always does the manhole right when he lands so i cant approach him. any help?

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Well, G&W is elevated this time in the teir list due to his disjointed hit boxes. My wario is also screwed :/

Drater

Smash Rookie
I have a lot of trouble with my friend's G&W when I play with Wario. There doesn't seem to be an effective stratagy against an aggressive G&W yet, but I do find that I do better when less aggressive with my Wario. Spacing is very important so you may wanna chip away at him with some Fairs and Bairs. Manhole, Turtle, and Fishbowl are the biggest worries in a long list of worries, though.

Drezel

Smash Cadet
ya he has like super priority over everything...ugh
i tried to shorthop airdodge grab but he just does that stupid thing with the flags and i go flying...
i tried shdair....his is better
sh nair...his is better
fart...mine is better
bike...mine is better
sh bite...mine is better :chuckle:

Samus_ABe

Smash Ace
OK LET ME BREAK THIS DOWN FOR YOU ABE STYLE:

My friend and I play wario game and watch matches every night for like 3 hours

Ive got it down to a science so dont sweat

game and watch can be nasty against wario for several reasons:

1. No lag out of game and watchs key attack, really hard to avoid and or counter.
2. His fishbowl nair cancels out any attack, and does a heafty amount of damage.
3. There is essentialy no edge play against game and watch because his up b is invincible to anything.

as far as they key attacks are concerned, you need to be spamming short hop dair, which is warios drill. use this to move back and forth even when you don't intend for the atttack to strike. when hes coming down with the key, simply short hop dair to either side of him and foward smash. this is super effective, and once you become pro at shuffling warios dair you will be poning in no time.

the fishbowl is just something you have to be careful about, its hard to avoid and you can't beat it with anything. use proper spacing and just try to stay away from that...it helps to not be above him..

when game and watch is coming back, don't attempt to go over the edge unless hes really far from the stage. let him auto catch the ledge, and as he crawls back onto the stage, catch him with a dair, thus sending him back out. rinse and repeat as many times as you can, you wont believe how effective this is against every character.

Now for Warios super advantage against game and watch:: SUPER ARMOR ON HIS FOWARD SMASH

i will post videos soon, my friend is actually buying a dazzle today so we can record, but you need to utilize warios super armor on his foward smash. due to game and watches range, he almost always has to come within range of this attack to hit you.

this works against his:

foward air(the book or whatever)
back air(turtle head)

which he will almost try to use to give you a final blow. simply bait him in by shuffling back and forth with your shorthop dairs. as soon as you land and you know that hes coming, hit him with your foward smash. if you charged it at the right time, his move will be canclled by the super armor, sending him flying shocked and pissed as fvuck!!! this is sooo easy to pull off, make sure you use mind games.......

with this said you should be able to pone game and watch, ill have vids for ya soon if this wasnt helpful for ya...

RoyalRook

Smash Journeyman
Awesome post, I guess I will have to share some of mine stuff as well:
when you are trying to get back to the stage you should always get closest to the sweet spot as possible, then upB to deal massive damage to the edge guarder. The Wario Tornado enjoy both high move priority and knock back power. On top of that, it sucks in, fast wind up (almost instant?), and hard to punish b/c of Wario's wacky floatiness.

What I want to learn is what's the best way to punish a G&W when he just spamming his sausage, yea I know it's dirty, hahahahaha, but seriously.

Don't want to be too critic, but if you got the mind game down, shouldn't you just pull out the forward tilt rather than taking the cheese with the F-Smash?

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
G&W's bair is annoying as hell. Anyone know what to do against a G&W that just spams it? It out ranges any attack I can dish out except if I f-smash through it, but I kinda want to save those for kills than racking up damage. Is there some other way to get around it? Or do I just have to keep avoiding it until he messes up and I can get in some hits?

Tin

Smash Journeyman
G&W's bair is annoying as hell. Anyone know what to do against a G&W that just spams it? It out ranges any attack I can dish out except if I f-smash through it, but I kinda want to save those for kills than racking up damage. Is there some other way to get around it? Or do I just have to keep avoiding it until he messes up and I can get in some hits?
A GaW that can space Bair well is a painful one. But if you time it correctly, you can grab him out of it before the last hit of the turtle connects. Be careful not to play the shield game for too long against GaW because his Bair will punish your shield very easily. There isn't much you can do against such flawless approach...BUT why is he approaching you? You should be aggressively chasing him.

The poster above above hit the nail on the head. Dair shuffle is amazing against GaW (and pretty much a lot of the cast), SPAM IT. Watch out for his smashes, they kill at absurdly low percentages. The thing to keep in mind when playing GaW is that all his attacks last a very long time, so don't release your shield as you would with a normal attack. Fsmash and Ftilt are your friends in this match up, a smart GaW will not let you approach him from below, he will key you immediately. Oh, and the key's range is ridiculous, so don't underestimate it. But of course, use UpAir to kill whenever possible. GaW's bair isn't the thing to really fuss about in this match up, it's his UpB and Dair you need to worry about, they rack up damage very quickly. They can semi-pillar, lol.

Play this match up very aggressively, overwhelm him with your aerials, GaW's aerials are good but their start up lag sucks *** compared to yours. When you land a Fair, I can safely say that you're pretty much guaranteed another aerial.

And omg, BITE. Learn it, use it, abuse it (intelligently).

sjiron

Smash Cadet
My main problem is against robs, his downsmash and laser pwn me :<

but to stay on topic G&W used to give me alot of trouble, however what really helps me is spot dodges into downsmashes, for his forward a is easy to dodge and enough lag for g and w to follow up on him.

they tend to spam the key but it's spot dodgeable and when gw follows up with chair you can grab him or bike into him if the chair knocked you away to far.

Top Bottom