• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how to attack fox on platform?

Monomoo

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, first post here! Been playing melee since the release, playing competitively about 6 months and just making the switch from shiek to falco. Anyways to the question: If fox is on a platform and you're grounded below him, what's the best attack option? I usually try to jump shine waveland on the platform to continue the combo but is that always the best option? It seems like if the fox sees it coming he can usually win with his larger shine. Thanks for any and all input! :)

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I mean, you've got a lot of options. If you're on YS, BF, or PKS, you can SH bair them through the plat. You could also opt for SH uair to hit them (delayed FF). Shine WL isn't a bad option, and neither is shine DJ b/dair. Alternatively you could use a rising n/d/bair to try and throw them off. Sometimes positional pressure is way more valuable than comboing.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Unless you're in the middle of combing him, you probably don't want to give up center stage. You can pretty much always make fox come to you in this MU. Just dash dance around to bait something and catch him coming down with a laser.

In any case, Mango likes to full jump Nair to get people off the platforms and keep in mind that Bair auto cancels on the top plat. If they're platform camping and jumping over all 3, a solid Nair read is super good. FE_Hector FE_Hector covered the rest of your basic options for attacking a plat. Fox can try to bait almost all of these, so they require a bit of a read. Especially if you full jump aerial, because fox can just take center stage.

Last edited:

Monomoo

Smash Rookie
thank you both! that was all very helpful info, especially the bit about center stage as I tend to play very aggressively so I'll definitely try and work some more patience in there

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
If you want to see a good balance of aggression and intelligence, then pay attention to the neutral game that Mang0's Falco has when he's doing well. It's actually quite intriguing.

Michelangelo

Smash Cadet
On yoshi story you can do uptilt through the platform. If that hits you can follow up with a shine waveland at lower %. If he's just standing there with his shield you can also delay your attack and wait for him to let go of it. Looks pretty swaggy too, especialy if it works. Also most (lower level) foxes will just come down with an aerial if you're in centre stage. If you see a fox doing it a lot you basicly get a free anything. Some simple spacing like wavedash back or dash dance will make him miss the atrack and let you have a free punish. You can also uptilt his attack. This will either trade (in a better way for you) or you'll get the hit.

Gobbleboners

Smash Rookie
Most of your options are based on percent, if you full hop nair at low percents you're just going to get punished. I like shining from below and wavelanding onto the platform.

Top Bottom