• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to approach?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Fair is massive and stuffs most approaches, but you can easily get shield grabbed if you approach them with it while they're grounded. I find its best to use this move if they are airborne.
If they're above you, you can Nair -> aerial. Nair's priority is insane and will stuff most moves coming from above.
You can approach from above with Dair and it'll beat most moves. Dair while they're under platforms is amazing, and you can follow up with drop down nair -> grab/aerial
Run up shield is amazing since your shield grab is broken, and getting a grab with Dedede is huge
Learn to Waddledash, it'll give you massive mobility and an incredibly fast approach that you can follow up with grab etc.

Dedede has a hard time approaching safely imo, which is why I prefer to play him more like a "moving fortress" since his defense game is top notch.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
It definitely comes with experience. Obviously you don't want to sit in shield for too long, but if your opponent gets past your wall of waddledees/ftilts/fairs then you ready yourself accordingly. Also, run up -> shield is usually pretty safe, and you can react to their reaction either with a grab or retreat with a wavedash out of shield and reset the situation.

I haven't really tried approaching with SH Nair honestly, since you can get shield grabbed so easily from it. I would imagine it would be safer to approach with bair or fair because of their disjoints. I'll definitely try this out myself though and see how it goes. I've only been using Nair when i am coming from below to set up for another aerial followup.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
its short but any adjustment that you can use for spacing is worth it, and wavedashing out of shield is a nice and quick way to get out of your shield relatively safely

2-Toes

Smash Rookie
Learning to wave dash with Dedede will help you master wave dashing in general. You really need to go max distance (angle the air dodge at the smallest angle with the horizontal plane of the control stick) in order to get use out of it. See how when Fly wave dashes with D3 it actually looks decent - that's because he is going max distance. Once you can wave dash max distance consistantly, you can adjust to different lengths in between and position yourself better, and make use of wavedashing in usual situations the way victra is describing.

This is something I've been working on at least - it's tough but is worth it. I've seen a lot of players who use characters with obscene wave dashes like Luigi, Squirtle, Lucas, who don't go max distance because they don't need to, but ultimately it is a skill that is incredibly useful if mastered. Dedede will help you do that.

cannedbread

Smash Lord
dedede isn't really good at approaching. he's best at playing the bait-and-punish game. he has pretty intimidating stage presence in general with his ftilt and fair and grab and general disjointedness. dedede is also surprisingly mobile which can help you bait stuff out of your opponent. also to go along with the stuff victra and 2-toes mentioned about his wavedash, dedede also has an amazing platform waveland. he's so fat you can get a perfect waveland like ganon by airdodging straight horizontal when jumping inbetween platforms.

EcceMalleum

Smash Rookie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHYe5eywFTc

I remember this tech from brawl. It was pretty useless back then, since jet Hammer sucked. Now that JH is a little better, could this glitch be considered for an approach?

--I'm assuming it still exists, might not.
--EDIT: Recognized this example is TAS, which is why its so smooth.

Last edited:

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
One little tricky thing I enjoy doin with Dedede is throwing out a waddle-dee to pressure their shield and using it to waddle-dash in and grab them. It can be a pretty nice approach, especially if the opponent has never really seen a Dedede before and only knows to shield waddle-dees.

Top Bottom