• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to approach Zero Suit

JHamron

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0688-6427-7438
I can hardly get anything on Samus Aran sans Power Suit. She's too fast and I can't pull anything on her. I could always counter-pick Palutena, but I'd like to know how to get her with Ganon. Any tips?

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Unfortunately, to ask someone how to play piano isn't a dissimilar question. =P

What I mean by that is that there's no concrete answer that Ganon has to characters like ZSS. Her best keep-away tool is obviously her stungun, but if you PS that, you run the risk of getting grabbed, so you have to guess from there how to act. As I said in another thread about approaches, the best thing to remember as Ganon is that your approach doesn't need to be lightning-speed.

Use empty jumps, powershields and so forth to get close to her and anticipate grabs. Most of the time if you're having difficulty approaching as Ganon, the only viable answers are case-by-case, since it involves a lot of creative movement and bluff-calling. Fr example, attacking her shield with FAir to condition her to shield so you can mix up with something.

When Ganon pushes your to the corner, you're forced to act, so slowly and deliberately make your way to her. Throw our DTilts and UAirs to discourage any sneak attempts at sneaking behind you. Takes iron patience sometimes, but it's the best we've got, I'm afraid.

Edit: Wizkick's a good choice for entering, too. Though, you have to be choosy about when you use it. Force out a spotdodge, roll, etc. with it. It also clashes with projectiles, so it's a good way to cover ground if you're feeling saucy enough to cope with being put at a potential slight disadvantage upon canceling the projectile (if their projectile ends shortly before your wizkick does)

Last edited:

JHamron

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0688-6427-7438
The stun gun gets me a lot, but that down-B I avoid at all costs, 'cause I have no clue what to do about it.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Usually there's nothing unless you're brave enough to chase her after she bounces off your shield or really be cheeky and challenge it by throwing out a preemptive FAir in her to-be trajectory.

But yeah, PSing the shot and guessing from there what they're gonna do is pretty important. Might take as many as two good reads in a row to secure a footing (e.g. PS the shot, spotdodge to avoid grab). Use that airspace though to close the gap though. Jumps, PSes and wizkick = vital.

JHamron

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0688-6427-7438
All right, thanks. I might just ask some ZSS mains to destroy me until I figure it out.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Stay out of range of all her attacks. Imagine that she's able to control 1/3rd of Final Destination infront of her with range, simply play her own game and stay out of that 1/3rd range with back rolls and jumps. Remember, she's trying to get you to approach for a hit, but for her to do that, you need to be in her zone. She's not Pit/Dark Pit or Sheik, she has a limited range she can work with.

While doing that, keep in mind that you need to slowly get hits in to rack up damage. Punish her shotgun lag whenever possible. When she bounces of her shield, don't go after her, as you won't be able to chase her. Just reset your position again, as she will try getting another hit on you if you go chasing her. In my experience, she'll have a hard time getting Ganon to kill percent, and Ganon's damage output outmatching her's helps a lot in this matchup.

Last edited:

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
I play a lot of 1 v 1's with my friend and 9 times out of 10 it's his ZSS against my Ganondorf. As said above, unfortunately there is no concrete answer, however I'll throw in a few tips I've found helpful:

- Shield/dodge stun gun. Seems obvious I know but Ganondorf can soak up a decent amount of hits without too much trouble so if you're going to avoid anything, make it that stun.

- If you get knocked into the air and ZSS follows you for an aerial attack, hit that down-special as soon as she gets near.

- In my humble opinion, Ganondorf's side-special is one of the guy's most useful assets. Punish ZSS with it whenever you can.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I hope this helps even a little :)

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
@ KieRanaRan KieRanaRan

Seems there was a thread addressing your question in the Social Sticky all along, and with lots more details from more experienced players. I do like to see some of my thoughts aren't totally off base. Although, reading through here I do realize that the Zamus I played against that influenced my thoughts really didn't utilize the downB much. I mean, I saw it a few times and it landed a couple but it wasn't really used in a way that trapped me consistently. A better Zamus might have a gimmick that would bait me into it more often and truly show me how it's potential. Heck, even a Zamus that could consistantly use it as a spike would've really had me on the defensive even more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom