• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how to approach with marth

APESAUCE

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1865-1741-8331
how to approach the whole cast, especially shiek and ness. i usually dd and wait for a mistake and punish, but when i play good players and try to approach with a shffld fair i get shield grabbed.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
The trick is to never actually approach with SHFFL fair, it's incredibly punishable. Generally you want to limit approaching as marth to dash-dance > tilt or grab. For sheik i know that empty short hops and really well spaced Fair SHFFL's are important to utilize, but not for aggressive engage. The mindset as i understand it is to force sheik into feeling pressured and box/zone her out with fairs to give her less room to camp with needles, while also avoiding sheik shenanigans in the process.

Armant Natu

Smash Cadet
Approaching should only be done with dash dancing. Aggressively pushing stage control and punishing them only if they're dumb enough to get into your range. If they're on the ground, grab them or down tilt. If they go in the air, use whatever aerial you need to keep mixing it up and cover the options.

Armant Natu

Smash Cadet
Shffling isn't exactly what you want to be doing all the time. It should be used more for defensive maneuvers and retreating fairs. Marth's main objective is usually to stay grounded until they go in the air.

haru-zocole

Smash Cadet
marth main approach should be to dash dance in and scare them with your presence. armant.natu said it quite nice

APESAUCE

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1865-1741-8331
ok will practice and watch more marth gameplay, if you have any notable videos you have seen please post them here.

Retrolistic

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3282-2606-7561
D-tilts and JC grabs from dash dancing can be a start. But it really comes down to the matchup, aha.
Staying grounded is sooooo important being Marth. I know everyone wants to do the cool air combos and Fair people to death from a Ken combo, but like stated already, it can be unsafe.

APESAUCE

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1865-1741-8331
ok so i have been practicing a lot lately. been working on my DD jc grabs/dtilts.

also watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfuVQN5cwy0

have been practicing my short hop double fairs. i get them around 90% rn.

i have my dd jc grabs down now! thanks for the tips guys!!!! i can do double fairs almost every time now in practice, but having a hard time implementing them into my real game

Last edited:

Honor

Smash Apprentice
This seemed like as a good a place as any to ask the question about one's mentality when playing Marth. As a Smash player in general I tend to have a very aggressive style. I feel like this bite me in the back as a Marth main but I wonder if it's me or if Marth is meant to be played in a more defensive and reactive way?

Thoughts please :)

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
How does Marth Approach Kirby? I struggle to find any openings.

Last edited:

waygu

Smash Lord
Like stated above dd grab or dtilt but with Kirby I had a very hard time until I found his dash grab picks up Kirby while standing wont, meaning you can dd boost grab that little ****. Some of his moves are laggy, specials and dash attack, fair is telegraphed etc.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
the main way you "approach" most characters is WD in-> tipper dtilt, especially if they insist on staying grounded. if you miss, retreat immediately. if you hit their shield, retreat if you're in their shield grab range (only happens if you don't hit with tipper), but otherwise keep poking to deal shield damage. with proper dtilt pressure you might force them to jump, which is when you can go for stronger but more vulnerable conversion options like fair. run in dtilt also works but that requires more of a hard read on their movement, as well as dd grab.

Top Bottom