• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to add more characters (or PSA-edited chars) to the roster?

GravityZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
TricksterZorua
3DS FC
4382-2023-3008
Welcome to my thread! I hope my question will be answered, and that my thread is at the right subforum here!

Hi! I'm new to modding my Brawl (NTSC version, in case of needed to help me out), and I tried a Geno PSA mod on R.O.B. It works! But I would like to make a 'Geno' slot in the roster, having a modified R.O.B. with the PSA, and just a normal R.O.B. How can I make it possible? I know it's possible, since Project M got Roy and Mewtwo, so I hope it works.

GravityZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
TricksterZorua
3DS FC
4382-2023-3008
Well, what's recommended to modify, actually? The Gecko code, or the CSSRoster.dat?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Using the CSSRoster.dat would be easier, as you can just edit that file in a hex editor. Modifying the gecko code is a little more complicated.

For CSSRoster.dat, you need to first install the CSS Expansion, linked to on the Brawl Vault thread.

GravityZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
TricksterZorua
3DS FC
4382-2023-3008
Okay then, thank you! Something else need to know? Like what to download from the Brawl Vault thread?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Main things are
* the BX clone engine itself
* the CSS Expansion
* the config utility
* the module editor

The clone tool can be useful too, as it automates much of the process.

GravityZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
TricksterZorua
3DS FC
4382-2023-3008
Hmm, okay then! Would you mind help me by PM's/a conversation? I don't know if it's allowed to make a thread seem like a conversation, so yeah.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I don't see any problem with continuing here. If other people get stuck on the same thing and find this thread, it'll be here to help them too.

GravityZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
TricksterZorua
3DS FC
4382-2023-3008
Oh, okay! Well, what are the beginning steps? I want to make a Geno character slot, based of R.O.B, but with different costumes and PSA.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
For this, I'll just use slot 0x40. You can use whatever you want from 0x3F to 0x63.

First, download and install BrawlEx itself, as explained in its readme file. Also install the CSS Expansion.
From the Config Templates, copy ROB's files over to the SD card (some will be labelled "Robot"), putting them in the appropriate folders. Rename them to e.g. Cosmetic40.dat, Slot40.dat, and so on.
Open Cosmetic40.dat in a hex editor, and change "R.O.B." (52 2E 4F 2E 42 2E) to "Geno" (47 65 6E 6F 00 00).
Open Fighter40.dat in the config utility. Change the name to Geno, and set Kirby to "none" (unless the PSA provided you with a Kirby hat).
Open CSSRoster.dat in the config utility. Set the number of characters to 37, and change the ID number of the last entry (00/Mario by default) to 40 (name should appear as ExFighter 40).
From the ExModules, copy ft_robot.rel to the /module/ folder, and rename it ft_geno.rel. Open it in the Module Editor, go to section 8, click "Memory Viewer", change 00000023 to 00000040. Close the memory viewer, and save the file.
In the /fighter/ folder, create a folder /geno/. Inside this folder, put all the PSA's files, changing FitRobot to FitGeno. You'll also need to add FitRobotDark.pac/pcs, and FitRobotSpy.pac/pcs, if they aren't in the PSA. Look for them elsewhere on the internet.

This should get your Geno PSA working in a separate slot, but with ROB's stock icons, portraits, and so on. Adding those requires further modifications in BrawlBox.

GravityZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
TricksterZorua
3DS FC
4382-2023-3008
For this, I'll just use slot 0x40. You can use whatever you want from 0x3F to 0x63.

First, download and install BrawlEx itself, as explained in its readme file. Also install the CSS Expansion.
From the Config Templates, copy ROB's files over to the SD card (some will be labelled "Robot"), putting them in the appropriate folders. Rename them to e.g. Cosmetic40.dat, Slot40.dat, and so on.
Open Cosmetic40.dat in a hex editor, and change "R.O.B." (52 2E 4F 2E 42 2E) to "Geno" (47 65 6E 6F 00 00).
Open Fighter40.dat in the config utility. Change the name to Geno, and set Kirby to "none" (unless the PSA provided you with a Kirby hat).
Open CSSRoster.dat in the config utility. Set the number of characters to 37, and change the ID number of the last entry (00/Mario by default) to 40 (name should appear as ExFighter 40).
From the ExModules, copy ft_robot.rel to the /module/ folder, and rename it ft_geno.rel. Open it in the Module Editor, go to section 8, click "Memory Viewer", change 00000023 to 00000040. Close the memory viewer, and save the file.
In the /fighter/ folder, create a folder /geno/. Inside this folder, put all the PSA's files, changing FitRobot to FitGeno. You'll also need to add FitRobotDark.pac/pcs, and FitRobotSpy.pac/pcs, if they aren't in the PSA. Look for them elsewhere on the internet.

This should get your Geno PSA working in a separate slot, but with ROB's stock icons, portraits, and so on. Adding those requires further modifications in BrawlBox.
Thank you very much! But how do I add the portraits, stock icons etc. by BrawlBox?

TimSin

Smash Cadet
For portraits, you want to edit common5.pac, which you can find here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/h12wyiblqns6zzy/common5.pac

You want to put this in private/wii/app/rsbe/pf/system

Open it in brawl box, and open sc_selcharacter_en, and from there, open char_bust_tex_lz77. You will find MiscData[(number)]. Open one, open textures, and you will find the portraits.

I don't know about the stock icons.

PokeFace1215

Smash Rookie
if u know this much i need somehelp ive done everything ur supose to do for brawlex but when i open with gecko or project diy my clone doesnt show up

Top Bottom