• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How the heck do you do Bomb ATGS

monkeyx4

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3936 9382 6790
Hylian school me on this or anyone cuz my link is looking boring and I need mix ups

Btw I'm going to start going to tourneys again and plus why isn't there that many link mains that go to tournaments.

Sarix

Smash Ace
You cancel the first frames of your directional air dodge with the C Stick while holding a bomb. The input is Direction + L/R > C Stick direction. AGT is used for a lot more than just mix-up, it also extends Link's recovery and gives him more approach, spacing, and mobile zoning options.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
If you are holding a bomb you have several options that include AGT and instant throwing.

AGT(Aerial Glide Toss): Much like a grounded glide toss except that you use your airdodge instead of a roll. To do an AGT you airdodge a direction while holding an item and then cancel your airdodges animation with an item throw. You need to throw the item within the first few frames of the airdodge and it's done most easily using the c-stick to throw the item. You can throw the item any direction you want so that you can go a different direction with your AGT than you throw your item. For example I can throw a bomb downwards with the c-stick while airdodging upwards so that I throw the bomb down and move upwards at the same time. Or I can throw upwards and move down, or throw forwards and move backwards etc etc. This can be very helpful for recovering and has useful applications on stage for mix-ups.

Instant Throwing: Instant throwing is when you catch an item being thrown at you or in the air and then immediately throw it back at your opponent. This is done by catching the item with your airdodge and then cancelling your airdodge within 2 frames with an itemthrow. Now you can see this is very similar to AGT and you can cross them for some interesting applications. The easiest of these applications is Z-dropping the bomb and then Instant throwing it again while adding in AGT for mindgames. Here is a perfect example of this being done in a high level tournament match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pum74fN6EUA&t=5m42s You can see how useful this simple mind-game can be with these mechanics. I jump above DSF and Z drop my bomb while he is sitting in shield. If he spotdodges the bomb hits him so he reacts to my Z drop and rolls away. Even though mk has an incredibly fast roll you see me react to the roll and instant throw the bomb at him while AGTing away at the same time, hitting him and securing my stage position. Another use of Instant throwing is catching your bomb out of your own AGT. You can AGT downwards in the air and catch your bomb again with an Instant throw and then AGT somewhere else again for some pretty crazy air movement. You can also instant throw bomb that you lay on the ground for surprise bombs to your opponents face.

Take a look at this whole set in general if you want to see how I make use of all these bomb tricks and how to apply them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pum74fN6EUA

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
No problem!!

Fortress

Smash Master
Here is a perfect example of this being done in a high level tournament match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pum74fN6EUA&t=5m42s
I watched this match religiously for about a week trying to perfect my recovery game with Link, and even picked up the bomb punt in the process. In fact, when I opened that link, it took me to 3:00 (I said five forty-something originally, which is where you copied the link at) in the video, from when I last watched it two weeks ago.

Good times.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Nice! Glad to see people able to improve their game with new technology :p.

Fortress

Smash Master
So, I'm practicing glide tossing with Peach now, and I've got the motions down and inputs ingrained in my brain for how to do it, but where am I going to apply this? I understand that this is one of those need-to-know sort of techniques, and I'm guessing that Link can use glide tossing to good effect outside of his recovery? I've seen you do some janky stuff with pelting people's shields with bombs, Hylian, as well as doing some stuff off of the ledge while recovering where you'd throw a bomb, catch it, throw it, and catch it or something other. What's a good first start in applying the glide toss outside of Link's recovery game?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Glide toss or AGT? Glide toss is on the ground so I assume you mean AGT. A good way to apply it outside your recovery game is mixing up your landing with bomb throw down AGT up. Link can get juggled pretty hard so having ways to circumvent that is important.

Fortress

Smash Master
Glide toss or AGT? Glide toss is on the ground so I assume you mean AGT. A good way to apply it outside your recovery game is mixing up your landing with bomb throw down AGT up. Link can get juggled pretty hard so having ways to circumvent that is important.
Yeah, I meant aerial, sorry for not specifying. One thing that's always confused me in the terminology is when people say "bomb throw in x direction and AGT in y direction". Does that phrasing mean that I should be tossing the item I'm holding in a direction, and boosting myself with the dodge in another? The way it's worded always sounds like "toss in this direction and aerial glide toss (AGT) in this other direction", which always confused me.

I think I get what you're saying, but I was wanting to just clear it up.

So, When you say mixing it in with my landing, you mean to say that I should be throwing bombs at people while coming down and using the air dodge boost from the AGT to go away from them at the same time? I know it's not a particularly robust boost that you get out of it, but what can I expect to follow up with more often than not with Link? I just want to think a fastfalling Nair or Dair after that, but, I'm sure there are a million options that are possible.

Sarix

Smash Ace
One thing that's always confused me in the terminology is when people say "bomb throw in x direction and AGT in y direction". Does that phrasing mean that I should be tossing the item I'm holding in a direction, and boosting myself with the dodge in another?
That's basically what it means. Saying bomb throw down AGT up means I would air dodge up and C-stick down for my throw. AGT has at least 16 different ways to move and throw an item and Link can make great use of this by doing unusual movements while throwing a bomb.

One way I use AGT in my on-stage game is to bomb throw side AGT diagonally down. I'll use this as part of my approach or for spacing/zoning since there is virtually no landing lag that I've noticed from AGT down onto the stage. This gives me immediate access to my ground game as well and I can go for a mix-up if my opponent shields the bomb.

Fortress

Smash Master
So, for anybody still concerned with this at all, I found a sort of do-it-yourself 'training regiment' that's worked well for me. I'm not a very skilled player or anything, but I've got the gist of the glide toss and AGT.

So, what I found helpful, is to start up a training session on Final Destination (or any map with some large, flat areas, to be honest), and pick a character like Mario to be your dummy. Once in training, go ahead and create a Mr. Saturn. Throw him up in the air, dodge into him, and immediately flick down on the c-stick. On your decent, when Saturn hits the ground and bounces up, dodge into him again, and flick up on the c-stick. Play hot potato with yourself until you've got the hang of grabbing and doing the instant throw. Just play around with that for like ten minutes, or however long you want to. I'm going into a half hour now, myself.

Once you feel comfortable with that, do the same thing; toss Saturn up, catch him and throw down, and catch him off the bounce again, but this time, throw him towards the Mario bot on the other side of the stage. Dash over, catch Saturn once he bounces off of Mario, and try and instant throw him right back in Mario's face.

Of course, this probably isn't as beneficial as practicing on an opponent who is shielding and reacting to your attacks, but this has been a good way for me to increase my understanding in the AGT and instant throw techniques.

Fortress

Smash Master
DISREGARD MY ENTIRE LAST POST. I BLISTERED MY THUMB BETWEEN THAT AND LEARNING THE DACUS.

Though, knowing those two tricks is a pretty even trade, in my opinion.

On-topic though, I had some questions for anybody who could answer them. In one of Hylian's games, he grapples onto ledges during his recovery, but immediately performs an up-special; something I've tried to 'discover' how to do in training, but just couldn't. I'm sure most everybody here can do it, but I'm pretty in the dark about it. Here's what I was talking about:

This is the trick.

Do you just press back on the control stick when you grab to fall backwards off of the clawshot tether?

Nevermind, took it into training again, and found out that you just hit down and up-b really quickly. Unless there's a better way?

Also, from about 0:58-1:01 in the video, is what we're seeing there a glide toss to the right while boosting upward? The two times that Hylian's off the stage, he does that little boost that we get with the AGT, so I'm aware that you could do something like: toss bomb in x direction, glide in y direction, use other jump if available, air dodge into tether. Which is pretty cool.

My second question is when in the heck do you do smashes with Link (or any character for that matter)? Link's seem like they have some high end lag, so when are they viable options? Are they great for shield pressure? Or do you want to be using these to attempt to actually hit your opponent?

Also: does the aerial bomb punt have any application? Or is it just flashy?

Top Bottom