• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How the *expletive* do I beat this guy?

Omadon

Internal Combustion Power
Right, there doesn't appear to be any kind of matchup thread (at a cursory glance - sorry if there is). I've recently started playing again as an old Peach/Kirby main (all my wasted years! Now attached to a good character! :D) and between those two characters, even semi-competent Dedede's literally walk all over me. Any tips from those matchups or do I just need to learn more characters? Am off to Beast in Gothenburg on the weekend and if I lose to a fraudulent Dedede in brackets I'm going to lose my ****. Halp x

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
if they play on the ground, stay in the air.

if they play in the air, play on the ground.

Omadon

Mm. I tend to try to keep well out of his grab range/above his ground stuff, but keep getting stuck behind up-angled waddles and rogue Fairs. I find Peach's horizontal movement speed really hurts in this matchup. Waddles are again a huge issue for Kirby too - they're bigger than he is >__<. I tend to do well if I get in and knock him over - Kirby tech chases him really well I find. But yeah, he has hit boxes bigger than my character D:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Doesn't Peach's Glide Tossing move Peach a reasonable distance?

Like have you tried annoying him with retreating glide toss'd turnips?

NOTE: I am talking about both groudned and aerial glide tossing as well.

I also feel that Peach Bomber has more viable applications in the MU compared to most. Have you tested around with that?

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132

Mm. I tend to try to keep well out of his grab range/above his ground stuff, but keep getting stuck behind up-angled waddles and rogue Fairs. I find Peach's horizontal movement speed really hurts in this matchup.
I can see why the F-Air's would be very difficult for Peach to deal with as her aerials lack range so even trying to land a trade would be difficult. If a Dedede player loves to spam short-hop F-Air then you can punish it if you shield. Waddle Dee's can be swatted away if you proberlly space a Float Cancelled N-Air in the air, and can be shielded if on the ground. I would roll away or jump from Dedede if you choose to shield.

Waddles are again a huge issue for Kirby too - they're bigger than he is >__<
That's just ironic. But once again just try your best to swat them away, Kirby's F-Air seems to do the best job because of it's multiple hitboxes that extened in front of him.

Last edited:

Omadon

Retreating.. glide tossed? *blinks* I think the input I was taught for it must be simplified - I've just been hitting R+Z at the same time. Gives a bunch of vertical movement or let's Peach fastfall with a turnip in front. I'll take a look at how its done properly this afternoon.

Also - I've mostly been using BAirs to clank waddles myself. My brother was an old Samus main and it kind of carried over. NAir is probably better from being quicker, but the slight dip in the hitbox at the front might be an issue. Maybe I could just watch and respond with a BAir/reverse NAir pending angle. Hadn't thought of using Kirby's FAir though, thanks.

The problem I find with his SHFAirs is that if he spaces them well, I actually don't have that many options out of shield that beat jab/immediate grab due to his range. Mostly just trying to bait them out at the moment. To be honest - I'm spending a large portion of the match borderline incontinent with rage >.> patience is very much required and I've been going on tilt super hard. Shall look at the above though!

Omadon

That and yes - on paper I know Peach Bomber got hardcore buffed, but. Nng. Like. Half a decade of just never pressing it is hard to undo D: same with Kirby's hammer tbh. I feel like it'd probably be good for tech chasing Dedede and iirc she bounces pretty far back if she hits shield. Hopefully out of his ©#&%ing shield grab range.

Last edited:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Retreating.. glide tossed? *blinks* I think the input I was taught for it must be simplified - I've just been hitting R+Z at the same time. Gives a bunch of vertical movement or let's Peach fastfall with a turnip in front. I'll take a look at how its done properly this afternoon.

Also - I've mostly been using BAirs to clank waddles myself. My brother was an old Samus main and it kind of carried over. NAir is probably better from being quicker, but the slight dip in the hitbox at the front might be an issue. Maybe I could just watch and respond with a BAir/reverse NAir pending angle. Hadn't thought of using Kirby's FAir though, thanks.

The problem I find with his SHFAirs is that if he spaces them well, I actually don't have that many options out of shield that beat jab/immediate grab due to his range. Mostly just trying to bait them out at the moment. To be honest - I'm spending a large portion of the match borderline incontinent with rage >.> patience is very much required and I've been going on tilt super hard. Shall look at the above though!
A retreating glide toss is when you throw an item forward while sliding back. Typically the input for glide tossing is Analog Stick in one Direction + Shield + Cstick in one direction.

So if I C-stick foward and Analog Stick Back + Shield with a turnip, I'll be able to slide back while throwing the turnips.

Aerial Glide Tossing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTDmoM7vb9M) can be done in the same fashion, but in the air.

Here is a video of a grounded glide toss that moves forward but throws the item up. Note that he's doing it in frame advance so this is like a frame perfect example.

You could probably do some nonsense with AGT (Aerial Glide Tossing) into aerials. Maybe. I dont play Peach at all, so I'm just throwing ideas at the wall.

Also Peach Bomber can probably be used for covering options and giving D3 another reason to respect your moveset. Also damage wracking.

Last edited:

Omadon

Mm. If only I could just somehow glue Ganon's SideB to her instead. SideB>DSmash would be hilarious. Hopefully I get a chance to practice some before the flight. I think another thing I need to do is get out Dedede to play me with hitboxes on. I must call bull**** on it, loudly and to the room an average of twice a game >.>

EDIT: Also ty for guide linkage. Shall dutifully consume x

Last edited:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Mmm. Since you cant really play footsies with D3, I do feel that constant movements while pelting the penguin with projectiles will be pretty powerful and particularly potent when playing.

How lame can you play?

Last edited:

Omadon

Its how I wind up playing if I'm honest, but waddles eat loads of turnips, and Peach can't run particularly fast. Engaging to actually kill him without getting hammered winds up being a huge issue. Cranking up the lame seems to be the way forward though. Wound up not playing any at beast, even in friendlies! next year though I hope to have the matchup sorted. Or at the very least learnt a character that can do it better ^^

Last edited:

CBalls

Smash Rookie
NNID
DaftZeppelin
3DS FC
2552-2992-7603
I played with a Peach main for a while. If you bait out f-airs, you can move in with Peach aerials and punish. A good DDD will be spacing with Waddles/F-tilt. Turnips can keep him locked down. If he can set up for Waddles, you can turnip farm.

I ran into a really good Kirby in bracket recently. If you air camp DDD, you can do some damage. He'll do better on smaller stages with platforms. The D loves small stages.

Top Bottom