• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How strong can Amiibos get?

TommyRumsey

Smash Rookie
I was just wondering, how strong do you guys think Amiibos could get? They are very smart and seem to be destroying people who own them from what I can see on Twitter, one even came third in a competitive competition which is not easy!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
An amiibo's level can go up to 50, and based on the various sources, as the amiibo levels up, it gains more attack power, and becomes more self-aware of its surroundings.

TommyRumsey

Smash Rookie
An amiibo's level can go up to 50, and based on the various sources, as the amiibo levels up, it gains more attack power, and becomes more self-aware of its surroundings.
I know that but I meant it as in potentially beating professional players maybe, could one become the worlds best Smash player?

KirbySS44

Smash Cadet
My Kirby amiibo is very hard to beat at 50, Out of Three matches with 5 stocks on omega stages, I only won once.

TommyRumsey

Smash Rookie
My Pikachu and Link Amiibos are the same and that is what makes them amazing as you grow with them!

KoRLumen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoRLumen
3DS FC
3437-3066-8679
As was mentioned before, amiibos get perks that aren't available to normal players. Fundamentally speaking, it's impossible to have a fair match with a CPU, even more so with a CPU that has stat boosts and special abilities.

So even if they beat a pro player, it doesn't really make them better. You can't really mindgame a CPU. You just exploit their AI.

Lv37Bizarro

Smash Rookie
How powerful are the perks Amiibos receive as they level up?
I have seen that my Amiibo Marth seems to do more damage, take less, and moves faster then me as normal Marth.

TommyRumsey

Smash Rookie
How powerful are the perks Amiibos receive as they level up?
I have seen that my Amiibo Marth seems to do more damage, take less, and moves faster then me as normal Marth.
I have no idea but that is interesting, have you added some equipment to him maybe?

TommyRumsey

Smash Rookie
As was mentioned before, amiibos get perks that aren't available to normal players. Fundamentally speaking, it's impossible to have a fair match with a CPU, even more so with a CPU that has stat boosts and special abilities.

So even if they beat a pro player, it doesn't really make them better. You can't really mindgame a CPU. You just exploit their AI.
True but it must show the power of the AI if the amiibo can take them on and win, even if they exploit the AI's control!

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I'd like some competitive player like Mew2King to train an amiibo. It'd be fun.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
When it got third it did have stat boosts. It's like entering with stat boosting badges.
I'd like some competitive player like Mew2King to train an amiibo. It'd be fun.
It wouldn't mean the amiibo would be super powered. As the actions you do with your amiibo get more technical, they are less likely to be passed onto the amiibo. Therefore, imo, the way to train amiibos well is to focus on easy but fundamental aspects of competitive play. For instance, once I get my Shulk amiibo I'll focus mostly on when to use the different Monado Arts while trying to emphasize Short hop Nair Fast fall.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
When it got third it did have stat boosts. It's like entering with stat boosting badges.

It wouldn't mean the amiibo would be super powered. As the actions you do with your amiibo get more technical, they are less likely to be passed onto the amiibo. Therefore, imo, the way to train amiibos well is to focus on easy but fundamental aspects of competitive play. For instance, once I get my Shulk amiibo I'll focus mostly on when to use the different Monado Arts while trying to emphasize Short hop Nair Fast fall.
There's tech in Smash 4?

D

Deleted member

I know that but I meant it as in potentially beating professional players maybe, could one become the worlds best Smash player?
Well, as far as competitive play, Amiibos are actually unfair if I recall correctly since they have more durability and offensive power. They do get better at playing, but I imagine their deadlyness is mainly due to the stats.

TommyRumsey

Smash Rookie
Well, as far as competitive play, Amiibos are actually unfair if I recall correctly since they have more durability and offensive power. They do get better at playing, but I imagine their deadlyness is mainly due to the stats.
True, but it is still interesting to think how deadly they could get. Imagine having a hard hitter with nothing but attack boosts, and someone training it to basically use the moves in an affective way.

Lv37Bizarro

Smash Rookie
I have no idea but that is interesting, have you added some equipment to him maybe?
I tried to weaken my marth, it has -22ATK/-10DEF/-9SPD. It was still faster, jumped higher, did more damage and took higher % to KO then my non-custom Marth.

Lichi

This is my war snarl
My Amiibos are hard to kill because of the precise power shielding and dodging, but they are pretty dumb. My Marth often spams side smashes into thin air, usually 4-5 in a row, will only use the first hit of his side-b, does random dolphin slashes out of shield...
Samus on the other hand made a real habit of wasting her fully charged beam by jumping and shooting it off, even if you stand perfectly still.
Both Amiibos seem to not get the idea of punishing, even if they manage to break a shield, they will just jab you or something similar.

I hope I can train them to do more reasonable stuff, and I started with Marth's side-special, but so far I have seen absolutely no progress. :/

When fighting against lvl 9 CPUs, they seem to be vastly superior though. In a 3 stock 1on1 situation they always 2-stock them, mostly because they are almost impossible to consistently hit and 99% immune to edgeguarding.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
They definitely seem to develop stat boosts even without equipment being given to them. It's hard to set up a good experiment against a computer, but I've had times where my Samus Amiibo has KOed me with a charge shot/F-Smash at roughly 30% less than it would normally take to KO.

Rochette

Smash Cadet
Amiibo are great but they have their limits. They can't learn some AT so more your character needs advance technics more your could be disappointed by your amiibo.
Exemple : you can't learn all the mecanics of abilities gained by Copy at your Kirby.

Nevertheless, I'll don't give up !

CharmingRogue851

Smash Rookie
Never. It still remains a CPU and as such has bad flaws/habits that you can exploit in order to get the win every single time. Once you figure out how to beat an Amiibo of a character it's pretty easy, although I'd have to say their shielding and reactions are pretty godlike. They have bad recovery and easy to read patterns when trying to get back on stage though. And the whole "adapting to your playstyle" seems like a marketing hype from my personal experience.

I think the Fox Amiibo just took everyone by surprise, although it was pretty cool to see him wreck havoc lol

TommyRumsey

Smash Rookie
My Amiibos are hard to kill because of the precise power shielding and dodging, but they are pretty dumb. My Marth often spams side smashes into thin air, usually 4-5 in a row, will only use the first hit of his side-b, does random dolphin slashes out of shield...
Samus on the other hand made a real habit of wasting her fully charged beam by jumping and shooting it off, even if you stand perfectly still.
Both Amiibos seem to not get the idea of punishing, even if they manage to break a shield, they will just jab you or something similar.

I hope I can train them to do more reasonable stuff, and I started with Marth's side-special, but so far I have seen absolutely no progress. :/

When fighting against lvl 9 CPUs, they seem to be vastly superior though. In a 3 stock 1on1 situation they always 2-stock them, mostly because they are almost impossible to consistently hit and 99% immune to edgeguarding.
The amiibos seem to love b moves, My Pikachu loves to use thunder like 8 times in a row, but it is also really smart using thunder to get the smash ball.

TommyRumsey

Smash Rookie
They definitely seem to develop stat boosts even without equipment being given to them. It's hard to set up a good experiment against a computer, but I've had times where my Samus Amiibo has KOed me with a charge shot/F-Smash at roughly 30% less than it would normally take to KO.
True, imagine their strength with equipment.

TommyRumsey

Smash Rookie
Amiibo are great but they have their limits. They can't learn some AT so more your character needs advance technics more your could be disappointed by your amiibo.
Exemple : you can't learn all the mecanics of abilities gained by Copy at your Kirby.

Nevertheless, I'll don't give up !
It's all fun experimenting with the amiibos, imagine having one that was trained by the likes of Mew2King and other people, and then had that train other amiibos. which will learn more about from the other amiibo and potentially get that to train another amiibo. Would it be the "ultimate" amiibo? :p

TommyRumsey

Smash Rookie
Never. It still remains a CPU and as such has bad flaws/habits that you can exploit in order to get the win every single time. Once you figure out how to beat an Amiibo of a character it's pretty easy, although I'd have to say their shielding and reactions are pretty godlike. They have bad recovery and easy to read patterns when trying to get back on stage though. And the whole "adapting to your playstyle" seems like a marketing hype from my personal experience.

I think the Fox Amiibo just took everyone by surprise, although it was pretty cool to see him wreck havoc lol
It was the best thing :p

Top Bottom