• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How should Wario fight characters with swords or otherwise good reach?

wodan46

Smash Cadet
Wario is my Main now, and I like him a lot, but his greatest vulnerability is that his moves don't have much reach. Dtilt, Ftilt, and SideB are ok against most opponents, but how do you stop swordsmen?

In particular, how do you beat Marth? Wario is generally faster than the other swordsmen and can use his super DI to pull off aerials quickly but not vs. Marth.

3GOD

Smash Ace
I recently found that Marth is probably one of Wario's tougher matches. I'm not sure how to get through that sword yet, but I'm gonna begin playing around with SH -> air dodge -> aerial and full jump -> air dodge -> aerial approaches.

Another possibility I'm going to play around with is to pull out the bike and hop off instantly. You can then use the sitting bike as a wall of defense and just camp behind it since Marth has no projectiles. If he comes in to attack, he will have to go above the bike, leaving him vulnerable to attacks from below. If he attacks/destroys the bike, you might get a projectile out of it and use this to form an approach. I have a feeling that you might have to be more campy/patient than Marth to even up the match. I'm ready to try these things out, but it will probably be a few days at least before I can determine how well they work.

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
Marth is tough, but you don't know what tough is if you haven't fought metaknight. You really need to bait them in by empty SHs. Abuse your shield and shorthop dair out of it when you have the chance. Play safe.

null84

Smash Cadet
Wario is my Main now, and I like him a lot, but his greatest vulnerability is that his moves don't have much reach. Dtilt, Ftilt, and SideB are ok against most opponents, but how do you stop swordsmen?

In particular, how do you beat Marth? Wario is generally faster than the other swordsmen and can use his super DI to pull off aerials quickly but not vs. Marth.
not to mention marth has counter attack to annoy us too.
Anyway, what I did in the tournament is... fight him slow + trick him attack first. I get a few extra bite and wart attack.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
I agree. Baiting and punishing, that's gonna be your best bet. Jump in, DI back get a quick SH fair. Make sure to stay out of grab range and force him to attack you again. Shield the attack, jump out of shield to nair if hes open, or bite if you think he's going to shield again. Spacing is also very important.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
An effective way to punish someone for missing a smash attack (mainly for the slower sword-wielders; Ike is a prime example) is Wario's bite in my opinion, it works pretty well to add some damage and toss the opponent away. If the enemy is being campy and trying to avoid you, go for a mid-air side-B and drive straight into them from above.

I'd also suggest working on Wario's air game to juggle foes. While Marth has an equally good air game, a Link or Ike may be slightly lacking (unless of course he nails you with Aether, but that move is highly punishable if they miss). Wario's Up-B should trap the enemy making it good for multiple hits, just be careful that you don't miss with it or Wario'll be a sitting duck as he drifts back to the ground. Oh, and make sure you land your hit with the Wario Waft or they'll have enough reach (and probably power if you're fighting an Ike or a Marth) to smash you straight up. I could also see Wario having problems with Zero Suit Samus cause of her reaaaaaaaally long reach. I guess staying to the air should keep your opponent guessing on what you're going to do next though; just keep your aerials varied and you should do fine.

I'm only a casual player though, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Hope it helps a bit though XD

Blue sHell

Smash Journeyman
The hardest sword users in my opinion are Pit, Marth, and Metaknight, in that order. A good Pit could toy with Wario so bad, especially with his arrows. Strategy for all three is the same, and it'll make fighting them a bit easier. And that is to be more campy. I'm not saying to be full out offense, don't inturpret it that way. I'm just saying lean more on the defensive side than anything else.

Here's a few things to keep in mind when fighting those losers:

Shield Dashing: Simple enough. Shield dashing is when your in your run animation(NOT IN YOUR INITIAL DASH ANIMATION) and you just cancel it with a quick shield. You could fowardsmash or anything right out of this. It's a nice strategy to stop yourself right out of the sword users grab range and wait for them to react. If they attacked they hit your shield, if they grabbed they missed, so follow up with a Dair or Fowardtilt or w/e you want.

Walking: I'm not even kidding. Since dropping shields in this game takes such a little amount of time, and during walk you could do ANYTHING, including shiled, its a nice defense. It's a nice way to keep calm and campy while not being completely stationary. Again, I'm not saying ONLY to walk, thats just stupid. I'm saying to work it in.

FowardSmash out of shield: Duh

Short Hop Air Dodge: If you short hop airdodge right into a sword user you could end up at their backs and set up for a grab or fmash if they whiff a shieldgrab or attack. Wario's shorthopped air dodge is awesome because he could still manuever in the air just the same WHILE in his invincible air dodge state. So take adavantage of that and possibly fake them out if possible.

General Tip: If a Marth player likes to double Fair, just keep in mind that not only are they airdodgeable in between, but they are easy to powershield and could be rolled in between to punish.

Geneal Tip 2: Keep your offense in bursts of surprise attacks.

Hope this helps a lot.

I'm going to update my guide with this, I might as well not waste it lol

bayonettrials

Smash Cadet
With Ike you wont have any problems, just bait him into any move then punish...

Play like a jiggly player. SH in FAir, DI out.. Bait with DI'd Short Hops.

"Mindgames" are everything with Wario.

And dont forget to Fsmash out of a Dgrab.

Geist

Smash Master
I can't play as Wario but I've been fully owned by someone who used him. Try to space retreating fairs and take advantage of marth's openings in his attacks. Wario's attacks don't have the best range, but they're pretty quick and really awkward. 0_0

also, sinse powershielding is so **** easy in brawl, try to approach him with timed air dodges and when he tries to hit with an attack, powershield and attack him. That's basically what I noticed my friend was doing.

wodan46

Smash Cadet
Actually, now that I've played more, I can take out Lvl 9 Marth AIs without much trouble, but not Ike (I can still beat him 50% of the time or so).

To Summarize:
Ike's Sword Ragnell>Wario's Stubby Legs

I have to rely on Dair and Bair to fight Ike, as well as Nair into the ground with an immediate followup attack.

Top Bottom