• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How should one approach the ditto?

Ringedge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ringedge
I met another Samus in my local scene the other day, and I don't want to lose to him in the ditto ;) what should I be doing in the ditto to get the upper hand?

Smash Journeyman
I played a lot of Samus dittos today, lol.

HugS used to say, "whoever attacks first, loses"... but he loses to Plup now, so who knows ;)

also from the Post Your Videos Here to Get Them Critiqued thread, when people were critiquing my video at http://smashboards.com/threads/post...t-them-critiqued.132947/page-41#post-16541885:

I just watched those :p
In dittoes it's even more important to act faster than your opponent as they've got the exact same move set with the same frames. The only difference is the player's reaction.
Practice your actions out of shield as I saw you miss many opportunities to punish. You were either too slow (standing in shield too long) or too fast (rolling).
Never approach with aerials when they're grounded.
Samus should always try to face the stage when recovering to give us the option to grapple recover.
You can dodge missiles with airdodge into grapple recovery when they are shooting low missiles close to the stage.
I think you know Samus can clank missiles with dash attack and immediately punish. (this is useful against reflected missiles too)
Other than that, there's nothing wrong with shielding missiles (or preferably powershield) if you act out of shield fast enough.
Aerials that intersect too much with a shield are often punishable by up-b. Work on your movement and missile game. I think the neutral game is a lot about wavedash -> jab / tilt, missile cancels, and maybe some aerials used in conjunction with platforms.

In terms of punish game, you can dthrow -> nair at some percents if he doesn't DI away, but I think the thrown Samus can often bomb to get out of the nair followup. You can follow up fair / uair to other stuff. Sometimes it might be safer to cut combos short if they have the possibility of getting out of hitstun and doing a nair / bomb, though... Trying to combo into a missile / chargeshot is probably also good.

If he's recovering low, you can try dropping a bomb near the ledge. I tried a lot of ledgegrab -> ledgehop nair today; it sucks vs Samus :( Uptilt/dsmash can be good vs non-sweetspotted up-b's though; putting a bomb out there can help prevent him from sweetspotting.

If you hit him away (up high, especially) and can't follow up, charge your shot instead of doing nothing / shooting missiles that can't hit him.

Also, the dude I played today, narfanator. used a ton of bombs (too many, really), and they really messed me up :(
@DarrellD did you see any of them?

Last edited:

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
Homing missiles seems to be heat seeking. They often hit the opponent Samus' bombs when they try to bomb jump.

"Act faster" doesn't contradict HugS' words. If both players are thinking the same, and doing the same input, the player who's late will get hit. This applies to defensive options as well, like missile spamming.

Last edited:
Um, grabs and fairs/nairs and fsmash. It's just a constant battle of those three. Once you get them off the ledge, use homing. You can throw in some wd tilts or a a dash attack to be fancy, but those are unneeded.

Litt

Samus
Um, grabs and fairs/nairs and fsmash. It's just a constant battle of those three. Once you get them off the ledge, use homing. You can throw in some wd tilts or a a dash attack to be fancy, but those are unneeded.
Hmm grabs not so much at all, side step the grabs = free dsmash, whoever nair's first usually loses, and its really not a constant battle of the three. When you have them off the ledge, you dont want to just use homing because a good samus can bomb off the homing missiles and make their recovery even better, I mean WD tilt and dask attacks arent fancy by any means but WD ftilt is good for neutral and knocking away missiles and dash attack for more of a mix up but should be rarely used bro.....

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
Bomb off homing missiles? I've never seen this. Mind sharing a video example?
@ Litt Litt

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
Bomb off homing missiles? I've never seen this. Mind sharing a video example?
@ Litt Litt
Its not hard at all, the bombs and missiles share the same properties just have to time it right, dont have any vids of me in the ditto i believe where this situation occurred though

ManoxMano

Smash Journeyman
I'm assuming it's when the homer loses it's active frames right?
Or can you actually bomb off it without being hit by it

Litt

Samus
Conceptually should have been enough, but sure.
.... exactly what I said bud.... i said you can bomb off missiles... instead of them trying it for themselves, they needed a video or plups endorsement... just go into the game and try it lolololol, or realize that I have posted enough **** to know what I am talking about and that me saying something works is just the same as plup saying something works, players need to get off the riding top players junk syndrome and just think for themselves about the game

Last edited:

Valar Morghulis

Smash Rookie
The key is having the power shot charged up, once you got that going, your opponent is toast. Dittos are pretty easy, unless you are facing someone like me

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
The key is having the power shot charged up, once you got that going, your opponent is toast. Dittos are pretty easy, unless you are facing someone like me
This is pretty much the ditto. Don't bother spacing or trying to bait out punishes. Just cook that charge shot and don't move. They will either run off on purpose or run into the charge shot.

Litt

Samus
This is pretty much the ditto. Don't bother spacing or trying to bait out punishes. Just cook that charge shot and don't move. They will either run off on purpose or run into the charge shot.
Hugely underestimating and oversimplifying the MU.... ok Valar id love to play you sometime, you can even have a charge shot to start off each game

Valar Morghulis

Smash Rookie
Hugely underestimating and oversimplifying the MU.... ok Valar id love to play you sometime, you can even have a charge shot to start off each game
We should play! But I don't think we live close enough to each other to play and my computer is too ****ty to use netplay

Top Bottom