• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How should I start learning Smash 64 with Samus

Kenryu14

Smash Cadet
What should I learn first about smash 64 and what can I take to smash from street fighter 3 third strike? Where can i find tutorials etc

Yobolight

Smash Lord
What should I learn first about smash 64 and what can I take to smash from street fighter 3 third strike? Where can i find tutorials etc
Here is what I believe to be your best intro tips to Samus:

Up B = Every other character's grab. It is often you best OoS option (along with dair). It is often best to immidiately UpB after hitting the opponent because it has the best start up of any of Samus's moves, and has invicibility frames.
The move is somewhat spammable (especially at low-mid level play).

Be extremely cautious about approaching, and don't do it often since your approach options are mediorcre.
Charge your charge shot in neutral to bait approaches.

Mainly Space with bair and dair. Learn to short hop into aerials, and to fast fall them to add some variety to your spacing tool set. Fair is sometimes cool.

Dash attack is not a great move overall, but you need to learn how to use it effectively, since Samus lacks a quick grab.

Grab is sometimes a good edge guard (Especially against DK)

Samus is an above average at planking (playing from the ledge). Ledge-hop fair/ charge shot/ up B gives you some nice variety. Ledge roll to UpB is cheesey, but suprisingly effecive. Pretty good get up attack.

Tech chase on platforms with dair into dair (into dair x w/e)

Bombs can be good for recovering, sometimes.

Pivoting back into f-smash is essential

Last edited:

Kenryu14

Smash Cadet
Here is what I believe to be your best intro tips to Samus:

Up B = Every other character's grab. It is often you best OoS option (along with dair). It is often best to immidiately UpB after hitting the opponent because it has the best start up of any of Samus's moves, and has invicibility frames.
The move is somewhat spammable (especially at low-mid level play).

Be extremely cautious about approaching, and don't do it often since your approach options are mediorcre.

Charge your charge shot in neutral to bait approaches.

Mainly Space with bair and dair. Learn to short hop into them aerials, and to fast fall them to add some variety to your spacing tool set.
Fair is sometimes cool.

Dash attack is not a great move overall, but you need to learn how to use it effectively, since Samus lacks a quick grab.

Grab is sometimes a good edge guard (Especially against DK)

Samus is an above average at planking (playing from the ledge). Ledge-hop fair/ charge shot/ up B gives you some nice variety. Ledge roll to UpB is cheesey, but suprisingly effecive. Pretty good get up attack.

Tech chase on platforms with dair into dair (into dair x w/e)

Bombs can be good for recovering, sometimes.

Pivoting back into f-smash is essential
Thanks for the reply

Multiball

Smash Rookie
My knowledge, especialy practical knowledge, of Street Fighter is minimal, but I'm gonna try to answer what you can take from Third Strike into Smash 64, because it's an interesting question I've considered a bit.

Spacing. In both Third Strike and Smash 64, you have to approach cautiously and space well in order to open your opponent up. Once you do, it leads into a combo that should try to push to the corner. (Samus's combo game is not the best, though; she needs to get more stray hits. More like Alex or Remi? Maybe Shaun...) In Smash, there's the added vertical dimension; you have to space up and down as well as left and right. Whether you want to be above or below your opponent is largely a function of your character and whether you're on the ground or the air. I don't know Samus well enough to say what her preferences tend to be.

"Don't jump" becomes "Don't roll." Jumping in Street Fighter and rolling in Smash Bros. are both movement options that are predictable if overused and very punishable. Samus's roll goes far and lasts a long time; this is generally seen to make it relatively worse, because it gives your opponent more time to react and punish. Occasionally, it's what you need to get out of pressure or to get to a specific place, but deciding when that is requires experience.

Tying the two above points together, forget everything you know about jumping. Jumping in Smash Bros. is a great option a lot of the time, and the thing that enables vertical spacing. Many times, your aerial attacks are powerful horizontal spacing tools, as well.

The extent to which mixups carry over is an interesting question. You could liken shield pressure in Smash Bros. to blockstrings in Street Fighter, but it's different. You could say that in Smash, the aggressor's option to either continue to throw out attacks on a sheild or go in for a grab is analogous to the high/low mixup in Street Fighter, but I feel like it's more complicated than that, and the analogy ultimately doesn't hold very well. The options feel too different off-hand.

The closest thing you have to meter management is charge moves. I suppose this is somewhat analogous to whiffing normals in neutral to build meter? If you're at a safe distance, you can do this to put extra tools in your box and, as mentioned above, draw your opponent in.

Yoshi has a parry, but he's the only one. I don't think there's a good analogue to parries in general in Smash 64. Mêlée has the powershield, but that's Mêlée.

Combo theory is the same (hit your opponent, then hit them again while they're in stun frames), but Smash has the additional complications of Directional Influence and variable percent changing what's viable at different times in the match. Different things are guaranteed at different percents, and sometimes you have to read or react to where your opponent DIs after a hit, especially after a multi-hit move.

Ultimately, I feel like Smash 64 is more like Super Turbo than Third Strike. The approach is cautious; if can last a while and there's lots of footsies, but when someone gets in, there's a high chance of death.

Last edited:
Top Bottom