• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How should I prepare for my first tournament?

DragonZProductions

Smash Rookie
So I am relatively new to playing melee, as I used to be a DOTA player finally got to be too much for me to take. I have been playing for about maybe a week or so to get back into the game from what I used to play when I was like 10 or something. Regardless I have the mentality of if I let myself get caught in just my little area with 3-4 friends with controllers then I will never get much better. I have signed up for a tournament in Charleston, SC on February the 8th which won't give me too much time to prepare, but oh well I either dive in now or regret not doing this. Mentally what should I prepare to see and experience? I don't really know what to expect out of this kind of gaming environment so I figured know one else would know better than the community.

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
Prepare... to get your ass kicked. A lot. And that's good. Play as many people as you can, especially people who are significantly better than you. Make sure you get plenty of sleep/exercise/food/water. Don't just sit back and watch games. Ask people who you're playing who are better than you to give you tips, as humbling as the experience may be. Oh, and bring your own controller.

PureYeti

Smash Cadet
You probably be in situations you haven't experience before. Set yourself small goals for improvement and knowledge you gain from the tournament. With the right mindset, it will help you a lot down the road. Don't feel too overwhelmed on your first lost and have fun.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Congratulations on your first Smash tourney! :bee: It's an experience you'll never forget. With that experience, there's a huge opportunity to learn more about the game, yourself, and maybe even make some buddies!

• Play as many matches as you can. Friendlies are recommended for a first time match. You'll be fighting people who knows different characters and strategies as you do and you can see what went wrong and right from every result. If you want to enter the bracket, that's fine too.
  • Play your game every day up to the tourney date. Familiarizing yourself even with a familiar game can shake off the salt and even make you learn new skills to take with you.
  • Depending on the venue, make travel arrangements in advance. If you can walk, do it yourself. If you can drive there, do it yourself or get someone you know to drive you there. If you have buses or trains, make sure to have a schedule on hand so you know how many transfers you'll be doing and what times you must catch your ride.
  • Budget any amount of cash you please for the tourney. The most important price will be your entry and venue fees. If you're taking transit, calculate your ride fares to and fro. You will also want to save money for food and miscellaneous purposes. If your tourney is somewhere such as a gaming store or arcade, you may want to buy some goodies. Just be warned that they usually come at expensive prices.
  • Make sure to eat a good meal and get a good rest before the tourney. Your mindset will be a lot more claritable and you may find it easier to focus on the game.
  • Things you'll need to pack are controllers, batteries, non-perishable food, drinks, money, and maybe even a console, a TV or monitor, and copy of your game. The latter three are optional.
  • Brief yourself on the rules your tourney will be using well in advance. Some tourneys will permit certain stages, characters, and tactics. It's also good practice to play under them before going.
  • Especially since this is your first time, be prepared to have multiple ass handings. It is a tourney with a diverse set of players with all sorts of experience. Don't worry though, this is good because it contributes to the learning experience. Talk about the game and the characters with other players, as they can tell you a lot of interesting things about the game and how it's played. Don't take any mistakes or shortcomings personally.
  • When you're in a competitive (albeit fun) setting, you may be overwhelmed with a sort of 'pressure' inside you. You'll feel intense and exhilarating when your into the game. Don't take this as a sign of failure, but a desire to win. It can be really stressful focusing on the game with everything around you, but if you remain calm and don't let the pressure dominate your thoughts, you'll learn to cope with it.

hahapwnd09

Smash Rookie
if you haven't played since being a kid, you should work on your tech skills as much as you can, and find out who is your main character. Things like short hops, wave-dashes/lands/grabs, edge guarding/hogging, etc. are very important when playing experienced players. But having fun is the most important part, as you are going to play a great game with a lot of other people. You are probably not going to be that great if this is your first time, even if you play with competitive friends, they have different play styles from other players, so it will be good to get out of your comfort zone of playing.

Top Bottom