• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How should I edgegaurd with yoshi?

EggZavier

Smash Rookie
I have 6 Characters. Ike, R.O.B, Pikachu, IceClimbers, KingDedede, And Yoshi.

And I have strategy's to edgegaurd With all of them but Yoshi. :(
So what move of Yoshi's should I use? This is probably my worst issue with him.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I would think that Yoshi is the worst edgegaurder due to him not having a 3rd (good) recovery jump, however all I can suggest to you ia that you use your up-b. *shrug*

biohazard930

Smash Apprentice
There are a few things you can do. First, you can always egg spam from the edge to try and maneuver your opponent into a good position or just to disrupt his recovery/make him drop farther, depending on the character, of course. Then, if the situation is right, you can run off and try to Fair spike if you've got good timing. Another good option is to short hop off the stage and then pull out the Dair. This can be deadly when paired with a footstool if pulled off right and against certain characters.

Also, if you miss or get under them (WATCH OUT FOR BEING FOOTSTOOLED), you can always double jump and do a rising aerial from beneath such that you retain armor frames while attacking. Do this in direction back to the stage, and you can't be stopped from attacking or recovering, really. (I do this with the Uair when I miss the Fair sometimes)

Quickly running of the edge to grab the edge is a useful general edgeguarding skill. If you don't know already, you can run off the stage and immediately double jump back toward the stage. If you do it right (don't hold down), he'll grab on very quickly.

This is kinda related, but if an opponent has gotten back to the edge, eggs and dair work well then.

ArowYoshi

Smash Apprentice
Appalachian State University/ West Jefferson, NC
i dont edgeguard, however i know i'll probably need to use it eventually so i practice it. along with edgehogging.

you just use D-special, if yoshi is facing towrds the edge he'll grab on. (edgehog)

but when i want to edgeguard throw eggs to have them flinch, then i jump out and use n-air (edgeguard)

EggZavier

Smash Rookie
There are a few things you can do. First, you can always egg spam from the edge to try and maneuver your opponent into a good position or just to disrupt his recovery/make him drop farther, depending on the character, of course. Then, if the situation is right, you can run off and try to Fair spike if you've got good timing. Another good option is to short hop off the stage and then pull out the Dair. This can be deadly when paired with a footstool if pulled off right and against certain characters.

Also, if you miss or get under them (WATCH OUT FOR BEING FOOTSTOOLED), you can always double jump and do a rising aerial from beneath such that you retain armor frames while attacking. Do this in direction back to the stage, and you can't be stopped from attacking or recovering, really. (I do this with the Uair when I miss the Fair sometimes)

Quickly running of the edge to grab the edge is a useful general edgeguarding skill. If you don't know already, you can run off the stage and immediately double jump back toward the stage. If you do it right (don't hold down), he'll grab on very quickly.

This is kinda related, but if an opponent has gotten back to the edge, eggs and dair work well then.
Thanks and yes I do know how to edgehog but the Characters I normaly fight don't grab the edge.(Dedede, Rob, ect

biohazard930

Smash Apprentice
Thanks and yes I do know how to edgehog but the Characters I normaly fight don't grab the edge.(Dedede, Rob, ect
Well, DDD and Rob are abnormal characters to edgeguard, due to DDD's armor on his UpB and ROB's supreme recovery. ROB is tough and I think could probably beat you off edge every time, unless he has high percentage and you Uair him from beneath. He's weak from below. I'd just spam eggs at DDD until you forced him into his UpB, which is easily punishable if used to the stage. If not, you have a couple strategies, outlined earlier, for him on the edge.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace

This.
Egg-spamming is often the only really viable option Yoshi will have, partly because edgeguarding tends to involve going straight at your opponent and that's something Yoshi tends to fail at. One option is to jump off the stage backwards and bair your opponent, but it's not an option if they're so far back that you would have to use your double jump. Yoshi is better off just throwing an egg or two, and using dtilt at the very edge to catch horizontal recoveries like DK's.
Like biohazard says, footstooling couldn't be worse for you when you're edgeguarding. Yoshi tends to suffer from footstools a lot more than other opponents, since it's one of the few things that goes through his heavy armor (which is supposed to average out his recovery, but of course it has a few flaws). If you've used your double jump and you get footstooled, you're dead. As such, it's not usually a good idea to jump out after people recovering above you and go for a uair.
I'm also not completely sold on the viability of the fair-spike, since it has lots of windup lag and can usually be seen coming, not to mention that its duration tends to end with Yoshi being below the opponent. I tend to go for the dair semi-spike instead, since that does more damage and is usually easier to land.
But yeah, I've definitely had some moments where I wish Yoshi could edgeguard better. If the opponent is below me I usually hit them with a dair, but otherwise I just stay on the ledge and throw eggs. That's just me, though... try a few things out for yourself to see what can be pulled off at what times.

biohazard930

Smash Apprentice
This.
Egg-spamming is often the only really viable option Yoshi will have, partly because edgeguarding tends to involve going straight at your opponent and that's something Yoshi tends to fail at. One option is to jump off the stage backwards and bair your opponent, but it's not an option if they're so far back that you would have to use your double jump. Yoshi is better off just throwing an egg or two, and using dtilt at the very edge to catch horizontal recoveries like DK's.
Like biohazard says, footstooling couldn't be worse for you when you're edgeguarding. Yoshi tends to suffer from footstools a lot more than other opponents, since it's one of the few things that goes through his heavy armor (which is supposed to average out his recovery, but of course it has a few flaws). If you've used your double jump and you get footstooled, you're dead. As such, it's not usually a good idea to jump out after people recovering above you and go for a uair.
I'm also not completely sold on the viability of the fair-spike, since it has lots of windup lag and can usually be seen coming, not to mention that its duration tends to end with Yoshi being below the opponent. I tend to go for the dair semi-spike instead, since that does more damage and is usually easier to land.
But yeah, I've definitely had some moments where I wish Yoshi could edgeguard better. If the opponent is below me I usually hit them with a dair, but otherwise I just stay on the ledge and throw eggs. That's just me, though... try a few things out for yourself to see what can be pulled off at what times.
Hehe. You're more of a conservative one, it seems. I enjoy flying out from the edge and trying a few things, which has been unfortunate sometimes, to be sure. However, I've found reasonable success with the Fair. And if you miss (especially due to an airdodge), sometimes you can immediately rising Uair them from below. It's obviously risky, but that's how I've done it. :p

Mmac

Smash Lord
I find that a Rising Fair works much better, especially against higher recovery characters, and it's harder to see coming.

Also another thing I figure out about Footstooling. Yoshi can't be footstooled as long as he's in a middle of an attack.

But I mainly use Eggs and Dair to edgeguard though.

Meta Dude

Smash Rookie
just realize the risk you're taking when going off the edge to fight. i do it all the the time and usually pays off with fair/nair/uair ko (haven't gotten the dair trick yet : ( )but the risk of getting edgehogged or not having enough on the second jump is heartbreaking.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
Rising aerials (nair/fair) are what I use. For better recovering opponents, I toss eggs to get some free damage and possibly set up a nair/fair.

Hitting someone off with d-smash sets up good edgeguarding opportunities. Below the edge is the prime location for Yoshi since he can do just about anything from there and get a KO out of it.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
Don't forget about the power of egglay off the edge ;)
that doesn't work cause most people struggle out of it and get the Jump from it. i find that when they come from below hitting them with rising up air and coming from above throwing eggs is the best option till they get close enough for basically any aerial.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Yeah, Egg lay to Uair at high percentages is rather nice.
Egg lay to Fair is alot harder but ever so nice.

All in all though, yeah the rising Nair is good and my personal favorite is constant Bairs that keep spitting them out for another Bair barrage (mostly to rack up damage for a kill but yeah you get the idea)

Top Bottom