• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How should 3DS Download Play Multiplayer be done?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Since the Game Boy Advance, Nintendo's handhelds has a feature to do multiplayer on some game when only one person owns a copy of the game called Download Play. While this is great to do multiplayer quickly, you have more limits and restrictions compared to Local Play Multiplayer (Where all people each have their own copy of the game). Things may include extra/longer loading times, smaller amount of content/features, and/or (in few cases) the downloader can continue playing even when they are disconnected from the host. The 3DS has a size limit of 32 MB for downloading to the receiver so in some cases there isn't a lot of breathing space.

The 3DS game Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion (a game that stole pretty much all of SSB's mechanics and gameplay) had download play too. If you were doing Download Play Multiplayer on that game, both the host and receiver only had the options of 4 characters and 1 stage to choose from.

So if Smash 4 has Download Play, how do you think it will or should be handled? For me if it's like Punch Time Explosion I wouldn't mind 4 characters and one stage as well. How about you?

Blazeth

Smash Apprentice
For the person without the game, I'd say give them 8 characters, sort of as a demo, and allow Battlefield, Final Destination, Mario Stage, Zelda Stage, and Other stage to be playable.
I think the characters should probably be Mario, Link, Pit, Samus, Pikachu, Kirby, DK, and Sonic.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Limited character and stage choice. Items could also be limited.

5 characters: Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby and new series newcomer (Isaac or Takamaru, for example).
Stages: Battlefield, Mario stage, Zelda stage, Kirby stage, stage from the same newcomer above
Limited amount of items

Basically a demo version of the game for the one downloading it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Maybe for those who don't own the copy but want to play in download play are only limited with choosing the starter characters and I guess stages (so no access to the unlockables) and the one who does own the copy can choose whatever character and stage they have unlocked and open. Or maybe be limited to even less than that. I don't know really, just throwing ideas around...

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I don't think Sakurai would include multiplayer at all on the 3DS version if it would hinder the experience.
If Download Play was implemented I'd expect a mini game similar to the coin shooter in brawl.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
I don't think Sakurai would include multiplayer at all on the 3DS version if it would hinder the experience.
If Download Play was implemented I'd expect a mini game similar to the coin shooter in brawl.
Why do you think it would ruin the experience? Smash Bros is meant to be a multiplayer game.

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
How about the player with the game chooses a few characters and stages before the download begins?

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
From the technical viewpoint, the only problematic thing to implement over Download Play is anything that will access the card in real time; this could include vast majority of stages, and characters like Zelda. (Note that you can implement Zelda without accessing the card in real time, but whether they will do that is another thing completely.) However, there are also different variables there, like Nintendo wanting to sell more copies of SSB4 (pretty sure Shy Guy lock in recent handheld MKs is artificial), loading times et caetera. On the other hand, implementing only a set of normal characters i a Smash games would rise many questions.

What I would do then? Fighting Polygon Team Mode. Or even better, N64 Experience Mode. This is probably daydreaming though.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Mario Kart DS allowed the first cup of tracks, and Download recipients could only be Shy Guy.

As for Smash Bros., the starting stages and a limited number of the starting characters would probably be good.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Maybe for Download Play, you can only play as the Fighting Alloys, which would also be the only way to play as them.

Top Bottom