• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How possible would it be to have a result model appear in character select.

Ed94

Smash Apprentice

I've been working on the character select screen when I had the thought of having character models appear in the position of the CSP. Right now I have a texture rendering of the final pose the character takes in the results screen.

One of the poses I was thinking of was their final stance in the results screen with intro animation or their idle animation facing forward.

Would it be possible to call upon those and just reposition where they are drawn in the character selections 3D environment? Does that require repositioning of the depth of other textures as well etc?

Last edited:

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
This was discussed in the past, I believe.

The consensus, if I remember correctly, is that character data is loaded after the stage selection is made (I can prove that much), so the model isn't loaded into memory. Doing that each time someone changes their character selection would be less than optimal.

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
Forgive me as I haven't gotten to look at how melee handles memory yet, but would it be possible to just force melee to load the character data in character select instead when the character is selected and then just have it retain it throughout stage select just have them off screen when you finish in character select by moving their position. Then as soon as stage select is done with it drops the code on positioning and leaves the rest to the actual game.

Also I was thinking that we could also apply g&w's flattening code to the rest of the cast while in character select that way they may fit between the tight space where the csps lay.

If you lead me in the right direction or do at least one of the characters I can do the others to save the tedious time it would take to make it happen. I've used hex editors before when modding some pc games so its not completely foreign to me. I've also been programming my own game using the monogame framework.

Last edited:

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
Forgive me as I haven't gotten to look at how melee handles memory yet, but would it be possible to just force melee to load the character data in character select instead when the character is selected and then just have it retain it throughout stage select just have them off screen when you finish in character select by moving their position. Then as soon as stage select is done with it drops the code on positioning and leaves the rest to the actual game.
We can't preload characters, there's simply not that kind of memory available. Plus, we'd have to account for weird edge cases, like 4x IC or Zelda/Sheik using up the space we have.

On top of that, as far as available notes go, no one knows how to draw new 3D elements like that. (or really do anything the results screen does, besides modify the played animations.)

Last edited:

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
We can't preload characters, there's simply not that kind of memory available. Plus, we'd have to account for weird edge cases, like 4x IC or Zelda/Sheik using up the space we have.

On top of that, as far as available notes go, no one knows how to draw new 3D elements like that. (or really do anything the results screen does, besides modify the played animations.)
I believe the RAM address 0x1C8CDBEB has something to do with character loading. Could check that out. (I doubt its the start of the function so you'd probably have to dig around a bit before it). Its tied to EfCoData.dat 0xC8AE0-C8DDF which is either character or stage effect data loaded at the start of a match. (Touching the values in EfCoData.dat in a bad way will cause the game to crash upon starting a game). I assume the other character data loading is close to the RAM address. Anyways my random notes may or may not be helpful, so happy hunting.

Last edited:

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
I believe the RAM address 0x1C8CDBEB has something to do with character loading. Could check that out. (I doubt its the start of the function so you'd probably have to dig around a bit before it). Its tied to EfCoData.dat 0xC8AE0-C8DDF which is either character or stage effect data loaded at the start of a match. (Touching the values in EfCoData.dat in a bad way will cause the game to crash upon starting a game). I assume the other character data loading is close to the RAM address. Anyways my random notes may or may not be helpful, so happy hunting.
We already know how to load characters, but thanks anyways.

Also, I have no idea what your RAM addresses mean. GC/Wii memory is at 8xxxxxxx. If its the address when you open your ISO with a hex editor, it's completely meaningless. Extract your files with Dolphin or GCR and work with the individually.

Last edited:

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
We already know how to load characters, but thanks anyways.

Also, I have no idea what your RAM addresses mean. GC/Wii memory is at 8xxxxxxx. If its the address when you open your ISO with a hex editor, it's completely meaningless. Extract your files with Dolphin or GCR and work with the individually.
I don't understand it either. Its not from the ISO itself, its an address dolphin gave to me. All I know is that the offsets in EfCoData.dat are DEFINITELY loaded on the start of a match. I swapped a subfic with an addic and an addic with a subfic and stuff happened. (I am a scrub when it comes to ASM)

Last edited:

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
I don't understand it either. Its not from the ISO itself, its an address dolphin gave to me. All I know is that the offsets in EfCoData.dat are DEFINITELY loaded on the start of a match.
That's probably the instruction at an address. Definitely not the address. Read the lefthand column in memory view for addresses, not the middle column. Plus, if it's ASM, go to that address in Code view to actually see the ASM.

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
That's probably the instruction at an address. Definitely not the address. Read the lefthand column in memory view for addresses, not the middle column. Plus, if it's ASM, go to that address in Code view to actually see the ASM.
Maybe it was 0x80384FC8???

Top Bottom