• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How often does the Galaxy Server go down?

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
A better question would be, when the hell is the Galaxy server up?

I'm just kidding. Galaxy has been pretty good about downtime recently, being down for no more than a day, and infreqeutnly at that.

There's no way to "mirror" a server. If you have the resources, you can set up your own server as a "when Galaxy is down, come here" sort of place...but the fact that you think you can mirror a server makes me think you don't have the resources.

M!nt

Smash Champion
Its not down that much every now and then, you know like right now lol.

Just go to West Wonderland when its down

cmu6eh

Banned via Warnings
There's no way to "mirror" a server. If you have the resources, you can set up your own server as a "when Galaxy is down, come here" sort of place...but the fact that you think you can mirror a server makes me think you don't have the resources.
What? Oh yeah you are right... virtual addresses and iptables don't exist.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Its not down that much every now and then, you know like right now lol.

Just go to West Wonderland when its down
I wish everybody would use West Wonderland all the time. It's seriously an amazing server and I got much lower ping there than I did to Galaxy when it was in NY. I don't know how they do it, but damn.

firo

Smash Ace
It's up. Sorry. The one day I don't log on it goes down. No one tells me when it goes down. If someone were to just send me a pm or an email, it would have gone up sooner. There's no way I can tell without trying to log on. Knitephox was nice enough to send me a text just a few minutes ago. Whenever it goes down I just log into the server and reset it.

Also, having lower ping at a server has nothing to do with the quality of the server. West Wonderland uses an earlier copy of the same files Galaxy uses. Just so happens that your ISP has lower ping times there.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
What about the non ec people?
sux, bro

Also, having lower ping at a server has nothing to do with the quality of the server. West Wonderland uses an earlier copy of the same files Galaxy uses. Just so happens that your ISP has lower ping times there.
Yeah, I know this, I guess I mad that now I have to deal with ~50ms as opposed to like ~15ms.

So wait, why is it that Galaxy always seems to be down (truth be told, I haven't noticed), but WW is always up?

firo

Smash Ace
So wait, why is it that Galaxy always seems to be down (truth be told, I haven't noticed), but WW is always up?
WW is not always up, and Galaxy is not always down. I don't think anyone was implying this. If you are on galaxy more you'll obviously notice when it is down more than WW goes down. Galaxy also gets many more users than WW so it results in a higher load on the machine. If someone was to let me know whenever galaxy goes down then the downtime will be even less.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
i haven't experienced galaxy being down in a while, and I've been going on daily.

Everyone is always on galaxy. when galaxy goes down, people go to west wonderland, which is more often than not up during the short period of time that Galaxy is down. therefore, WW is always up.... wait a minute

blaze3927

Smash Ace
ps aux
kill -9 ***
cd emux
./startserver.sh

emulinker has a php script that supposedly could be used on websites to giver server status, i never got it to work

Top Bottom