• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How often do you try for a Falcon Punch?

The Revolutionary Cafe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CafeRevolution
3DS FC
2766-9632-2051
Switch FC
5665-2697-0979
I use it whenever plausible but only when I'm screwing around in a serious match if a sheild breaks or puff misses rest I'll opt for charged fsmsah cause I'm pretty sure it's stronger but falcon punches are fun to do in dis game. (and all of them)

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
I also like to use it after baiting somebody into airdodging or using a really laggy move to the ground.

Last edited:

Starkiller2

Smash Cadet
Falcon Punch on shield break, but only after taunting. Does anyone know if you have enough time to cycle through all of the taunts and Falcon Punch on a shield break? I think if you do the taunt right when their shield breaks you can get two in and still Punch but I'm not sure about 3.

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
I'm sitting here at 7 am at apex 2015, woke up after 2 hours of sleep. I've probably played 40 since we got to the hotel, and I've falcon punched honestly like... 18 times? Maybe like 4 or 5 of those made contact, and about 2 or 3 of them resulted in a kill. It's not an unusable move, but it's also probably the least or 2nd least (I'm referring to ganondorf's paunch) usable move in the game.

Octavium

''Fear doesn't stop death, it stops life.''
Your retina to your occipital lobe as you read.
Falcon Punches are pretty much for hard reads, but I usually use it when I bait an airdodge while I'm on the ground. And sometimes on my opponent's last stock, If I'm sure they are going to recover low, I jump off into a reverse falcon punch to intercept their recovery.

Its risky but its practically an orgasm when it lands.

Last edited:

Utena

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yurigod
i falcon punch all the time cause this game is a joke.
it works surprisingly well as an edgeguard if you can get a read on your opponents recovery

LITTLEPUNCH

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
3995-0713-4011
usualy the jumping falcon punch is much more effective because of it not being as easy to dodge as a regular falcon punch. so if someone is getting defensive i like to double jump over them and do the falcon punch in reverse.

xPaco

Smash Rookie
NNID
xoXxPACOxXox
3DS FC
0834-2213-5021
I only use it when
1. I know I can hit it off.
2. To get a pretty awesome kill.

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
Usually if I'm styling on someone. There is nothing more satisfying than beating the pulp out of someone, kneeing them off stage to have them try and recovery, and leaping off stage and FP'ing them.

I sometimes do it when I'm goofing around though, I'll randomly throw them out to catch people off guard.

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
I use it when they're trying to recover to either punish a missed ledge-grab or to force them into doing something stupid like air-dodge and stuff up their landing, which is also really easy to punish. Got a Falcon Punch kill on a Peach who was slowly floating back onto the stage at a tournament last weekend. That was actually super important since I was down a game and that gave me the momentum to come back 2-1.

Joosie

Smash Rookie
Not often, but if my opponent is using counter in certain situations I'll bait the counter and use the Flacon Punch.

JDubs05

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2277-6658-2234
Firstly, I rarely use Captain Falcon, I actually prefer fighting against him. That said, I can offer you the opponent's perspective...
I think best time to use a Falcon Punch is in the air and off the stage when your opponent is recovering. The opponent is more focused on recovering and they're not expecting a Falcon Punch. Its tricky to land but devastating results since it can be executed near the edge of the screen.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
The best time for me to use a Falcon Punch is if my opponent isn't mixing up their recovery well enough, so I read them just by predicting where they'll land and chances are, they won't know how to react to it.
I also land a punch if an opponent isn't mixing up their tech roll options (or if they even tech at all), and they roll right into my punch. lol

Last edited:

Smoking_Hot_BBQ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cvl257
3DS FC
4098-4726-7823
Since I mostly screw around in For Glory and don't try to win, I use it as an attempt to punish players who try to recover onstage instead of on the ledge. It works about 70% of the time.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
I only do it by accident. When it hits, I get mad and happy at the same time.

Ree301

Smash Apprentice
For the record, if there's a shield break or a missed rest, charged f-smash (angled down) is usually better than Falcon punch in both knock back and damage. Blame Sakurai.

I usually throw Falcon punches on fast falling characters after a d-throw at around 70%. They'll air dodge into the ground and you'll shadow realm those ****ers, like this guy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa0YWMmg3ck). That, or full hop falcon punch off stage. You can recover after these so there's really not a lot of risk.

dandeto

Smash Apprentice
I do it every 3 or 4 matches. Full jump, turn around falcon punch. It mixes things up, and usually hits, as you can direct backwards momentum, and come from behind. The opponent usually changes tactics for the rest of that match once you use a falcon punch. Usually I try to short hop and get a knee of justice in there more often than falcon punch.
For the record, if there's a shield break or a missed rest, charged f-smash (angled down) is usually better than Falcon punch in both knock back and damage.
I usually do just that much more often.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
In friendlies? Every time I can't continue an aerial combo I'll try to jump close and Punch. The hitstun almost always wears off just in time to be powershielded, though.

In serious matches, almost never. Even if I get a hard read, I still mistime it by just enough frames that the shield comes up. It's far safer to charge an Elbow of Justice, and it has almost the same knockback if you charge it as long as a FP.

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole
Reading a scruby Marty/Lucina counter with a punch feels so good.

Dust^

Smash Rookie
I throw out punches more often in friendly falcon dittos than actual matches.

Last edited:

BoVeZ

Smash Rookie
when you do a down throw, if they air dodge immediately, you can short-hop falcon punch. your opponent will have landing lag from the dodge, and wont be able to react in time. at 40% and above, it works every time. you just have to predict it

Nate22Hill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate22Hill
if u read a jump than you could jump towards them and then jump back and falcon punch, it usually works on a really offensive character because they try to approach you a lot so when they approach you they never see the punch coming

FalconPrime

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cynicalyis
3DS FC
3969-4168-0472
The best time for me to use a Falcon Punch is if my opponent isn't mixing up their recovery well enough, so I read them just by predicting where they'll land and chances are, they won't know how to react to it.
I also land a punch if an opponent isn't mixing up their tech roll options (or if they even tech at all), and they roll right into my punch. lol
Agreed, such a satisfying punish. Although when an opponent continually falls for it again and again... nah, it still feels good lol

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
I LOVE the Falcon Punch in this game. While not quite as useful as it was in 64, for the first time in a long time, it can actually be a combo finisher. I've had tons of instances in For Glory mode where I used a surprise Falcon Punch and it worked like a dream. It's the most satisfying thing ever. I still miss the Knee combos from Melee but I've come to really enjoy Smash 4's Falcon, just because of the hype moments.

S.P.A.D.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lavama
I'm too used to Warlock Punch and it's attack eating properties... I'm throwing out Falcon Punch way too much.

D

Deleted member

I use it whenever I hard read my opponent and sometimes after I leave the Revival Platform. Other than that, I rarely use the move because of the start-up time and risk.
When you do land it, it's incredibly satisfying.

Top Bottom