• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How often do you train with just Popo/Nana?

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
There comes a time in the life of an ice climbers when the two get seperated forever.

Do you guys practice with only one of them some times? If you do the how often??
Has there ever been a time when you had to win with only one ic?? how'd you do it.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Yeah, I like to practice flying solo once in awhile. I think it comes in handy. Nothing really changes about my strategy though. Just that there's only 1 of you to work with instead of 2. I guess I seem to do a lot of dthrow chaingrabbing and more bair'ing when I'm alone for some reason. Don't ask why...

dark_dragon8

Smash Ace
I like to play with both, but I do occasionally train with just one. After seeing how well Chu does, it makes me want to try to see how good I can get with one of them. I would usually get owned though because I am not used to non de-synching and no 2 person chain throws. This thread actually makes me want to practice more with the ICs!

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
I've never really found much to practice with as a solo climber except maybe what throw + follow up to use on certain characters. Losing the AI climber, at least for me, seems to come naturally in the simplistic way, kind of like Jiggs. You don't really have anything fancy to do, so just handling your single climber well and being about to 'mind game' usually makes people think twice about climbers being -easy- when they kill the helper.

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
I practice with only one IC very rarely. Of course I do sometimes... but, it's not that often.
There have been times where I HAVE had to win w/just one. When that happens, I tend to play much more defensively, never (well, almost never) leaving myself open for an attack to hit me. Using smash attacks often is a good idea (I think...right?). Well... yeah -OYM

OuiCaVa11

Smash Cadet
lol i practice with one when my idiot nana jumps off the ledge after a wavedash to edgehog. shes so stupid sometimes >_<

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
popo by himself still has dthrow chain grabs and combos. do lots of wding to fast c-sticking, like wd to down smash. his stuff can come out of nowhere. he should play a lot more evasively than when you have the two together. popo's wd and smashes are still awesome, so don't be discouraged when nana dies lol. especially against better players, who will be *****es and go after nana.

playing popo is all about fast wd's and mindgames. people have found it just as hard to fight against my popo as fighting against both of them together. a good trick is dash dancing, facing away from your opponent, wding backwards, and c-sticking towards them... mixup stuff like that. popo's mindgames are awesome because he moves so fast (normally when i do crazy dash dancing and wding together with nana, the dash dance desynch separates me from her. when you have popo alone, you can do all you like!)

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
does anyone think the metagame for sopo has evolved since I made this thread. XD

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Hahah... not really. Just a lot of maneuvering and comboing fast fallers. The main point with sopo is to survive under pressure and make beautiful things happen.

PB&J

Smash Hero
i used to practice sopo all day because chu inspired me to do it..but now i just practice nana shield stuff..meaning using nana as a second shield but better..sounds dumb..i really cant explain

but i think all of us icy mains needs to step up our sopo game because chu is just too good with popo..my fav match of chu dat is him vs cunning kitsune..and how he comes back with popo..man i love icy's

NOHK

Smash Apprentice
yeah i make a point to train my sopo, cuz more often then not he'll be what i end up with. and for sopo training, id go take a look at chok's ICs hammer thread, there's a part on sopo junk ^^

EDIT: Not as much a hammer thread as much as general non-grab shizz

Binx

Smash Master
I play a really solid, boring, cheap, with emphasis on spacing game even when I have 2 climbers, not a lot changes for me when I go down to a Sopo. Which of course I do very frequently because I play people who destroy Nana lol.

S.D

Smash Master
People let their guard down when Nana dies, I get a LOT of kills solo climber. People start to worry less about grabs and you can actually get a lot out of solo climber d throw and u throw (for fastfallers) (smashes aerials anything really).

The best part is when you take stock solo people get angry and upset, which is why we all play smash, to make other people feel bad.

There are only really subtle differences between two climbers and one. Mostly they revolve around throw options.

PB&J

Smash Hero
i dash dance alot with sopo and use f tilt alot and back throw tech chase anyone..i wish my sopo was as good as chu's though..watch the sopo combo vid ..its insane

jlorde34@yahoo.com

Smash Apprentice
I do because, you can't use Nana to get cheap shots like desynched ice blocks in, and of course it limits your combos, so u gotta know how to win without her. Then again i dont really change up my fighting game that much anyway cause people know how to fight IC's now, so its more of can u hit a shielded wave dash, wave dash smash, shffld airs and quick dodges rather than can u make a concentrated combo now that Nana is gone.

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
I tend to use a lot of dthrow and dsmash when playing sopo, mostly because it makes for a better defensive game. They say a single ice climber can do as much damage in one stock as a pro gannon, so I work on not getting hit and using grab to smash attacks.

Vts

Smash Champion
30-1h a day with just ic messing around with desync and stuff.

over all spend about and hour of tech skill each day if not little more but for IC than other characters

Top Bottom