• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How often do you still use your first main(s)?

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
My first game was Melee, and my first main was either :roymelee:, :linkmelee: or :falcomelee:, I really don't remember which one came first. Roy is the one that lasted the longest, but I can't remember when exactly I started using him. Falco is one of my secondaries today in Melee, but I feel like there might have been a time when I mained him a long time ago. And Link I know I used in the early days of Melee, but I don't remember if I used him enough to be considered a main. I then switched to :marthmelee: when I got a little older, who is still my Melee main today.

:roymelee: I wish I could say I still used, but unfortunately, Melee was his last game. He's my main in PM though.
:linkmelee: I stopped using after I started focusing on :roymelee: in Melee and rarely ever played him again in Melee or Brawl until Smash 4, where he is one of my secondaries who I used a fair amount. I really like how he feels in Smash 4.
:falcomelee: was still my secondary in Brawl and PM, but I don't use him very much in Smash 4. He just feels too slow. I still use him once in a while but not nearly enough to call a secondary.
:marthmelee: I still use all the time. He was my main in Brawl, my secondary in PM and one of my two mains in 4.

Last edited:

iongammarays

Smash Rookie
NNID
Luckymicah
Ever since 64, I've always used :ness64::nessmelee::ness2::4ness:. His focus on range always resonated with me, which is a reason I picked up :4megaman:. But :4ness: is now just a character I put off to the side and use him as a "safer" main. :4tlink: was a bit of a surprise for me, since I hated him in Brawl, but his ability be great in several playstyles made me like him again and he is now my official main. :dedede: was my Brawl Main, and while the lack of chain grab is disturbing, I think I like :4dedede: even more for a main.

Khao

Smash Lord
My first ever main was Mario on the N64. Though later on I switched to Luigi, as he kinda became my favorite Mario character (and still is). I finally ended up with Link as my main once I actually started using the characters I didn't know.

On Smash 4, I use Mario every now and then. He's a lot of fun in this one, but he isn't a main, or even in my list of favorites. I did get his amiibo, even though I didn't buy it myself I'm pretty happy that I got it.

Luigi? Rarely ever use him, he was a secondary for a while back in Melee, but I don't really like how he feels anymore. I hate the way he moves in the air.

Link? Still in my top 5 characters, wouldn't call him a main anymore (unless I'm playing Melee or 64) but I still enjoy his moveset a lot.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Well my original main was Pikachu and I think we all know that that's stuck since then.

My first main in Brawl was Meta Knight though and at first I used him a ton but once I learned how broken he was I felt kinda dirty since I was a more casual player playing with noncompetitive friends. So I picked up Toon Link because he was a lot like Young Link, and Pikachu went from 2nd to 1st in Brawl as well.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I've pretty much been a Yoshi main throughout Smash, but I absolutely refuse to touch him in Smash 4. I despise how easy and safe they made him. (Not too fond of how he played in vanilla Brawl too)

Last edited:

GideonSmash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gideon1999
With DK as my main in brawl, I don't think I have ever chosen him, ive only got him a few times when i chose random

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
I started off with :linkmelee: and mainly just :linkmelee: and :samusmelee:

Later on, I still used :link2: and used :samus2: more often. But also started using :ike:, :toonlink:.

And to this day still use and kick *** with :4link: but started using :4samus: and :4myfriends: equally. Also tried to get good with a few more characters being :4bowserjr:, :4zss:, :4shulk:, :4duckhunt:, :rosalina: and :4robinm:. And kinda dropped Toon Link.

So over all here's a list of the characters I use from often to rarely.
-:4link: - :4robinm:-:4samus:-:4myfriends:-:4bowserjr:-:rosalina:-:4zss:-:4duckhunt:-:4shulk:

CatStache

Smash Cadet
NNID
CatStache
I originally used link in SBB 64 but I didn't find him as fun in brawl (skipped Melee D: ) so I moved on.

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
My main in Melee when I first played the game back in like 2003 was :roymelee:, but years later, when I learned about tiers around 2007, I started playing more :marthmelee: instead.

During Brawl, one of the first characters I played and instantly fell in love with was :metaknight:. I played a little :marth:, but barely ever compared to the amount of time I played :metaknight:. I wasn't even aware of his top tier placement until around 2011 I believe.

Finally for Smash 4, I initially played nothing but :4greninja:, but after the 1.0.4 update for 3DS, I dropped him in favor of :4shulk:. As of now, my main in Smash 4 is :4shulk:, with :4ganondorf: and :4sonic: being my secondaries.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
I first started in smash 64 when I rented it for a week or two long before the GCN came out. I was really young back then and didn't know anything about anything but I knew who Link was and I liked him so I played him for the entirety of the time I had rented it. Many years later, I picked up melee about a year after it came out (I wasn't really a fan of fighting games tbh) but it was a player's choice game so I figured it must be good. That started my smash obsession and I still used Link even though I actually recognized more of the roster by this time. One of the characters I didn't recognize at all was Samus. I originally hated her (Although, at that point, I thought Samus was just a robot. It took another year before I knew the truth).

What I did find interesting was the Brinstar stage though. The design of the stage interested me enough to go out and purchase my very first Metroid game, Metroid Prime. After playing that, I realized that that was the best franchise ever (It still is my favorite franchise) and Samus was my favorite character throughout all of Melee.

Then Brawl came out...

I don't care what all the tier lists said, Ganon was not bottom tier in Brawl, Samus was. Samus was garbage in Brawl. Period. She got a little better in Sm4sh and I'll still play her regularly but Zelda's my go-to now. I picked Zelda up midway through Brawl's lifespan because I knew that I needed a character with a projectile (I know Din's isn't that good but it's a projectile) and good kill potential (I had mained Ike for a good period of Brawl's lifespan so I was used to early kills) and Zelda fit that perfectly.

So, to answer the question, my original main was Link and I never use him anymore. He's a little too campy for me now and I often use Samus who I really consider my original main since I spent more time than ever with her through melee than I ever did with Link. Brawl ruined my love for her and I'm just now picking her up again.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I never owned SSB 64... but I jumped between :link64: and :pikachu64: when I played with friends. (dabbeled in :samus64: as well but didn't use her half as much.)

In Melee, I spent quite a bit of time on :linkmelee: though toward the end I was :roymelee:.

Brawl I ended up maining :lucas:.

I haven't picked a Smash U main yet... but because I am trying to learn the more high end competitive tactics... I suspect it will be different.

Often when I am playing with friends we are playing 3-8 man free for all... and in order to keep the same 1-2 people from winning every match winners change characters.

Link is someone I will jump to because some of my instincts transfer over to the new game. Pikachu is someone I might consider if I am again forced to play on freaking temple... and I can still use the boarderline cheap Down special tactic that punishes the person who chose the level for making me play it. Lucas is gone... and Ness just won't play the way I played Lucas.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I will always main Mario until Sora comes in to Smash. Then he'll just become my secondary.

sweq32

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sweq32
:ness64: is a character I used to use a ton in 64, some in Melee, and not much after that. Once the roster started expanding I began to move on.

I still use :ganondorfmelee: quite a bit, however.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Mario has been my main since the 64 days, when I briefly mained Samus before picking him up. I stuck it out through all the hardships of Melee and Brawl, and I'm pretty proud of how well I managed to do with him.

Even though Smash4 is the best game for him so far, I've finally switched mains after more than 15 years. Mega Man is just that cool. I actually feel kind of bad about it. Luigi, Pac-Man, and Rosalina also threaten his number two spot. I don't quite understand it...I have the most skill and experience with Mario, but he still feels incredibly weak against speedsters and even a few zoners. It's definitely easier to win with the other characters. Maybe equipment and customs could make him viable.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Jigglypuff and Captain Falcon were my first mains back when Melee first came out, and I've used them in every installment since. While neither of them are my first pick (that'd be Meta Knight) Jigglypuff is my secondary while C. Falcon is amongst Samus and Ike as other options if neither of my two first picks work out.

Starman15

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobotTurtle5000
3DS FC
3136-7638-2428
Switch FC
SW-2901-3121-3539
I've been using Kirby, Captain Falcon, and Ness pretty regularly since Melee. I just really enjoyed playing as them when I was younger and I still do.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
Mained Captain Falcon in Smash64 and Melee. My main in Brawl was Mr. Game and Watch (lol). But in Smash 4 3DS and Wii U my main is Captain Falcon again.
Brawl really did a terrible thing to the captain.. It was sad.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I still use Mario, Yoshi, and Kirby on various occasions, but Rosalina is basically my Smash 4 main, especially since I've used her way more than anyone else.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I technically "mained" Pikachu in 64, but that's because I didn't know a lot of the characters at the time and just chose him because I really liked Pokemon. I used Link, Samus, and Jigglypuff (quite badly in the last case) a lot too.

Link was my main in Melee with Samus being a very close second, although I dropped both Pokemon completely. I also used Roy a lot early on in Melee, eventually reducing his usage a lot to learn Zelda/Sheik and Captain Falcon. Very late in Melee's life I started to use Peach but didn't get that good with her.

For Brawl, I used Link less because I didn't like the Gale Boomerang, but he was still somewhere in my top 5. Samus became my main for this game, and I started using both Peach and Sheik/Zelda (using Sheik more often) a lot more, especially Peach. I still used Falcon some, but his usage dipped as well. I also tried to learn Pokemon Trainer, but I really only clicked that well with Ivysaur. I had planned on learning Pit, Ike, and Meta Knight, but none of them really clicked with my playstyle at all.

In Smash 4, I still haven't really settled on Link or Samus and Peach is actually a top contender for main this time as well (and the character I've used to beat a lot of the challenges where I get stuck). Sheik and Falcon both get a good amount of use but nowhere near as much as the other 3. Robin is my favorite new character, but I'm still not all that good with him. I also hope to eventually learn Greninja and maybe Duck Hunt, Shulk, Rosalina, and/or Little Mac but I do question if Shulk and Mac will ultimately fit my playstyle. Charizard was of course dropped because my favorite PT Pokemon was Ivysaur, not him. While I never mained Mewtwo, I will also certainly give him a try once he's released and might go back to Mii Swordsman or Gunner at some point.

KFrosty

Smash Apprentice
My main in smash 64 was Luigi. My first true mains were Doc and Roy.

Roy is my main in PM. Doc I use for fun in Smash 4. Luigi on the other hand...

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
The only two characters I remember playing a whole bunch as a kid are Pikachu and Sonic.

Pikachu I still love to pick up and play while Sonic I go to only occasionally.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I never played Smash 64.

I play :samusmelee::samus2::4samus: all the time, including PM. In both Brawl and PM, I also played :lucas::snake:, with Lucas custom special :4ness: in Smash 4. I've started picking up :4pacman::4palutena: in the new title as well.
DO YOU THINK I LIKE SPACING CHARACTERS? MAYBE.

d00derino

Smash Cadet
This is an easy one -- just look at posters' mini-profiles.

I got bored of my mains in SSB4 so I'm playing with characters I haven't used a lot, exploring the roster.

Gamr_8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer807
I smash 64 I used :luigi64:being my guy to go to, cause no one expects Luigi to win games (where I am from). Then in Melee it was pretty much the same thing (:luigimelee:). Then in Brawl I picked up :olimar: and QUICKLY added him to my roster of characters (:luigi2:) When I first heard of Project M I heard of a player named Wizzrobe and how good he is with his :sonic: so I started to play with him a lot in Project M along with :luigi2::olimar:(Also added Sonic to y brawl roster around this time. Then in Smash 4, I saw :4villager: and immediately fell in love as I <3 animal crossing and all that Jazz.

So to answer question, I have been using :4luigi: for my entire time with smash, and while I'd admit he isn't the best character he has been with me so long, I keep thinking why stop now. :4sonic::4villager::4olimar: I have picked up along the way and I am going to be using these characters for years to come.

EDIT: Sorry for the Essay, plz forgive:substitute:

Last edited:

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
I remember being disappointed that Bowser wasn't in 64, so my initial "second best" picks were Luigi and Yoshi. Something about how those characters evolved over the years, though, made me not stick with them. Luigi I played until Brawl where his persona and whatnot just wasn't my thing, and I dropped Yoshi after he was horrid in Melee and Bowser was a thing.

Really though, I more majorly mained Kirby through most of my 64 career, but... that wound up dying off around Melee. I've been experimenting with him a VERY VERY small amount in Smash 4... He's okay, I guess, but not as fun as some other characters, to me. What made him awesome in Smash 64 was how hard of a hitter he was, despite how small he was and all. I guess he's a character who also sort of changed in ways I didn't quite like over the years.

Probably stuck with Bowser as a character I generally play the longest, though something about him in Smash 4 I don't like. He feels... weird. Good, sorta, but weird. But he's also kind of bad? I don't know.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
In smash 64 I'm pretty sure all I played was :link64: but also :ness64::kirby64: but it was a looooong time ago so I dont remember.

For Melee I played:linkmelee::younglinkmelee: until I finally tried :marthmelee: and now I feel I can only play Marth if I wanna stand even the smallest chance to my melee playing friends.

Brawl I doubt I'll be playing again, maybe project M but eh. I started with:link2: :marth: but then later on playing with the new characters I got into :lucario::lucas::wolf: it was the first game I started to to play a diversity of characters.

For the new one ive been playing:4ness::4robinm: mainly because im glad for once Ness is good. I love Earthbound and im glad I can represent the game. Robin I was super excited for because I feel in love with FE:A its my favorite Fire Emblem to date and I'm glad it was him that got put in because he fits my play style completely. But yeah got off track even though I play those guys I still play a lot of the characters from my past :4link::4marth::4lucario:. Im trying my best to be very diverse in this game and so far im pretty good with a lot more characters.

Otsillac

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gobbledy-gooker
I mained DK and Ganon as a kid playing Melee. They're fun, but not mains by any stretch anymore. In Brawl, I was fond of Falcon, Ike, and Wolf; only Falcon stuck around. (Wolf didn't for obvious reasons)

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
From Brawl -> PM -> Sm4sh, ive mained these people in order, usually dropping the previous

:wario: -> :4myfriends: -> :lucas: -> :zerosuitsamus: -> :dedede: -> :4falcon:

Geno9999

Smash Cadet
NNID
Geno9999
:mario64::mariomelee::mario2::4mario:, the only one I've consistently had no problems fighting well with, and even then, it tended to be match-up problems (like vs. Marth.)

:ike::4myfriends:, like his home games, Ike hits like, and can take hits, like a freaking tank. Very glad he managed to return for 4.

:toonlink::4tlink:, when I started playing as Toon Link, I really took a liking to him since he was a much speedier character than regular Link, who felt kind of awkward for me. While 4 buffed Link a bit, I still feel more in line with Toon Link.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
My mains in Brawl was first Sonic, then I moved to Pit because of the projectile. Now they are both my mains in sm4sh with the addition of shulk, little mac, and rob.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Well, I started with Melee, and during that time I picked up Yoshi and Ice Climbers. Moving on to Brawl, I kept both of them and expanded onto Mario (I picked only because he was my favorite Nintendo character) I quickly dropped the Ice Climbers and Stuck with Mario and Yoshi. Project M is a whole other story. Theres too many characters that I like in that, so I cant point it out. Moving on to Smash 4, I stuck with Mario and Yoshi (Those buffs:4yoshi:) and picked up Little Mac, Megaman and Pacman.

Last edited:

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
Melee was my first Smash. I mained Fox not knowing he was top tier, I just loved his multikick. I moved on to Ganondorf but Fox is still my backup. Brawl was next and my love for Fox faded as it grew for Yoshi, although I dropped him for Wolf and I still enjoyed Ganondorf despite how bad he was. I eventually picked up Smash 64 on virtual console and just played for fun, stuff like Yoshi, Fox and Mario. And now in Smash 4 I'm playing Megaman! I bounce around mains but still enjoy the old characters I used to play as well.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
As a kid playing Smash 64 I used Kirby. After he got trashed in Melee I switched to Roy, and finally Jigglypuff.

Of those I still play Puff from time to time but I don't like her as much in Brawl or Smash 4.

When I got competitive around Brawl's release, I used Wolf and Snake.

3 out of 5 characters I have ever mained in the series have been killed off. It's a hard knock life.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I actually really took a liking to Kirby in Melee and he soon became my main (started practicing with other characters later on though).

He remains one of my most used characters in Brawl and Sm4sh though. Jigglypuff is also one of my Melee and Brawl mains, one of my best characters in both in fact. I've also found that she has been the easiest character for me to adapt to in Smash 4 thus far, and I'm still pretty good with her.

And as per my profile, I main the great King in both Brawl and Smash 4. I don't think I could ever drop him.

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
My first main was :4luigi:, back in Smash 64. When Melee came around, :4yoshi: kicked him to the curb and took over. Since then, the green dino has been my main (now ascended to ace). However, he wasn't alone because I immediately picked up :4sonic: when Brawl came and joined as a secondary main (He's now a main since Yoshi is my ace) as well as a couple of others. Now in Sm4sh, it's Yoshi (Ace), Sonic, :4pacman:, :4greninja: and :4rob: (Mains). I've also got new secondaries such as :4falcon: and :4roy:.

Top Bottom