• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How often do people play with Luma separated?

CovetedTerminus

Smash Rookie
I’ve been playing a lot with Rosalina and Luma lately and have been trying to get more creative with my playstyle with her. I’d show videos of my play but I don’t have any recording devices unfortunately, but I still need to practice my fundamentals more anyway.

I’ve been noticing that in tournament play, especially for players like Dabuz, they will detether Luma but will do so very rarely. Now, I don’t know how hard it is to keep Luma alive in tournaments (as I don’t play competitively) but I’ve been finding that Luma actually stays alive longer when detethered, compared to when combined with Rosa. Reason being is that having them separated allows RosaLuma to play significantly more mind games and forces the opponent to have to choose between one or the other instead of attacking them both at one spot. Luma’s AI is a lot better than one might think, especially if you get decent at controlling her movement when detethered. For instance, if Rosa and Luma are on opposite sides of the stage and Rosa jumps, Luma is likely to jump too (especially if the opponent is above them, as Luma does change her movement based on the enemy’s location). So you can make Luma jump into them and attack while Rosa is nowhere nearby. Can also use Luma’s side+B to throw off your opponents attacks and make it harder for them to get in on Luma. I’ve also ran off the stage with Rosa before in order to hit the opponent off the stage with Luma, then recover before they do to get stage control.

That said, however, the best way to protect them both is to keep them detethered but still near each other so that they can cover one another whenever the enemy gets in close. That way if they go after Luma, Rosalina is right there to sweep in for a free hit/grab and vice versa for if they go after Rosa, Luma is close enough to get a punish off. Especially if they try to grab Rosa, they have to be quick on their throw or they’re likely to be hit out of the grab. I’ve done that multiple times and have even hit Bowser out of his side+B grab slam attack once. He tried landing on Luma in order to hurt Rosa while killing Luma but instead, Luma got an up+tilt attack off which saved Rosa from taking any damage and despite Luma dying, it hurt Bowser while putting him in a position of having to retreat from a Rosa aerial attack. I’ve noticed that Luma can get hits off more easily when detethered while Rosa is grabbed or in hitstun, as opposed to when combined. Luma is less inclined to act independently when tethered to Rosa. However, when detethered, Luma will more easily get hits off even when Rosa is hitstunned. Same for after Rosa uses her up+b, Luma can attack while Rosa can’t, so I like to use her up+b to fly past Luma in order to cover an approach from the opponent. Not really sure why this is, but from my experience if Rosa gets grabbed or stunned while Luma is tethered, Luma takes longer to attack or won’t do so at all.

Luma also has somewhat deceptive movement when detethered. If the opponent is focusing purely on Rosa and not paying enough attention to Luma, she will often come in behind for a flank and a free punish (or to force the opponent to move away from Rosalina by going after Luma, or to retreat entirely, or force them into a premature attack against Rosa), even if the opponent is in the air or on a platform. Luma will still go after them up there, especially if Rosa is airborne. I’ve even had Luma intentionally swap positions with me, so I’ll drop down from a platform while Luma moves up onto it to be in the opponent’s face, and vice versa to cover their movement better (as it allows you to hit both on the ground and on the platform at the same time) and get easier reads, as well as for the AI to protect Rosa better and keep your opponent guessing. This is what I mean when I say that the AI is a lot smarter than you’d initially assume. This forces the opponent to have to pay attention to the both of them, as Luma when away from Rosa while tethered isn’t inclined to move at all unless straight back to Rosa’s arms which limits her usefulness. As when tethered, Luma is strict on making sure to follow orders and only act or move when told to. Basically, a lot of it comes down to not only knowing how to control Luma, but to also trust the AI to get your back without having to control her the entire time.

Their detethered idle position is also really good, as I’m sure most people already know, as Luma spaces herself just right so that the middle section between them is easily covered. If you’re charging a forward smash and the opponent is running in, they’ll either get hit by Luma or run past her and get hit by Rosalina, as an example. This is useful for edgeguarding, as you can have Luma sit on the edge while Rosa sits a little bit away and charge a down smash. You can cover both getups and rolls, so they have to either jump away from or attack Luma since she’s right there (or time their roll/getup just right). As it not only hits every spot in the middle of the two of them, but also hits the outside of their position as well. And if they have a habit of attacking Luma, you can bait them into doing so while running in with Rosa for a punish. It’s a great way to figure out how your opponent likes to move while staying relatively safe and still having the chance to get in hits.

The whole playstyle is more defensive than it is aggressive and relies heavily on mindgames, reading your opponent, and forcing them to make a choice, then punishing them for making it. Need to make both Rosalina and Luma feel alive and keep the opponent from knowing which one of them is going to hit them, on top of never feeling like attacking either of them is free by punishing them for going after either of them. This is particularly useful if you’re good at baiting and reading who your opponent wants to attack. Bait them into going after one while the other gets in position to attack when not expected. Such as Luma behind Rosa while Rosa is fighting the opponent, then having Rosa run away through Luma while Luma runs in and is there to punish if the opponent tries to chase Rosa (Luma will usually move towards the opponent when you attempt this, which makes it work rather well because then from the opponent’s perspective, it’s like Luma just shows up out of nowhere). It essentially turns the game into a 2v1 match of trying to prevent them from knowing where you’re going to attack from while pressuring them into feeling like they need to figure out which one of you to go after (especially if they’re sandwiched between the two). Especially when Rosa’s down+B stops a lot of projectile games against her (not to mention shooting Luma at them to apply pressure without having to go in), so it’s hard for the opponent to switch it around by trying to force you to come to them, as that often doesn’t work.

Not only that, but Luma seems to have a lot of priority on her attacks, so even if they’re going after Luma you can pretty much fight them 1v1 with only Luma if you get your reads and timing right. Especially since Luma can’t be grabbed, on top of her mixing them up with her side+B projectile. For instance, if they expect Luma to attack left they may try to roll past her attack in order to run after Rosa instead but if you read it, you can punish their roll by attacking right instead of left (which is even easier with the side+b as it’s a longer ranged attack with hitstun). The two of them will basically fight while Rosalina just sits back watching their opponent take damage at no risk. Could even read the roll, hit them right which knocks them into Rosalina, who then hits them left back into Luma. You can play a hacky sack type combo until they manage to get out of it. Those are easily the most satisfying combos I’ve had in this game so far.

Another bonus to this style of play is that even if Luma dies, you’ll be extremely used to using Rosalina without having Luma next to her, so it doesn’t throw off the way it feels to you and you can play relatively the same whether Luma is alive or dead. They actually have a great amount of kill power even when separated; I’ve launch killed opponents with Luma by herself and with Rosa by herself at decent percentages, as they both have power and range even when not using a combined attack. So you don’t need Luma tethered or even there at all in order to kill or intimidate. Plus, you can also use Luma’s death to read your opponent’s movement better (people often get more aggressive when Luma dies) and Luma dying essentially just gets you even more in your opponent’s head.

With that said, you can also bring them together to throw off what your range feels like to your opponent, as well as changing up your attack patterns. I don’t know if it’s just me, but I swear their combined forward smash has Luma launch forward a little for more range, wherein she doesn’t do that when detethered. If that’s true, it’s an even better way to throw off your opponent with deceptive changes in range. Also a good way to protect Luma if you’re losing the fights with her a lot, then throw her back out when the opponent is used to you two being together. So basically you bring them together not only for a more standard play, but also as a means of keeping your opponent from knowing exactly what you’re going to do.

I know I typed up a lot to read and there’s probably even things I’ve missed, but I wanted to try and share as many tactics and Luma habits as I could think of to give people something to experiment with. I don’t know how much of this is already known, nor how much of this is new. I don’t know how viable in tournaments it is, but I do know one thing. It’s one of the most fun styles I’ve played in a smash game. I intend to try and make it work if I can, but I also want other people to experiment with it and find ways to make it more viable. I feel like RosaLuma has a lot of untapped potential that we haven’t even started to touch on yet and I want to have her limits unlocked. I really want to encourage people to try her out with these types of tactics and playstyles, or others that they can think of because of this. So if there’s any of you out there who prefer more defensive styles based on intuition, reading your opponents, coming up with on-the-go tactics without much reliance on speed, I recommend trying out RosaLuma while mixing up how often you keep Luma tethered. I personally think Luma is a lot more effective detethered, only tethering her for mix ups and at times where it feels like the better option. Basically to play her the opposite of how most people seem to now, where the focus is more on protecting Rosa than it is on protecting Luma.

Luma is basically a permanent projectile until killed, at which point she respawns anyway. She makes a great bodyguard and gives Rosalina more of a puppetmaster feel. She reminds me of the character Kankuro from Naruto, if any of you ever watch it. That’s how it feels to me whenever I play as her and I gotta say, it’s a lot of fun. If any of you try this out, let me know how it works out for you. And if you come up with any new tactics, tech, or anything else, feel free to share it here. I’m very eager to discuss this character. It was actually the main reason I made an account on here just now, other than that I want to get better at the games. :p

Last edited:

CovetedTerminus

Smash Rookie
This is sorta how the style of play is that I'm talking about goes. I don't know if this person mains RosaLuma or not, as this is the only video I found of them and all their other videos are all different characters. But the way they keep them separated is how I like to use them. It's sometimes tricky though cause you'll get things like at 2:40 in the video where they were trying to attack right but Luma kept attacking left instead. Gotta intimately understand Luma or things like that will happen (happens to me all the time still). So it definitely takes a lot of practice and can have a bit of a learning curve. I'm still trying to get a feel for how they flow individually.

Aurora Sparkle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aurora-Sparkle
Eh, personally I find that playing with Luma untethered from Rosalina is better used for the occasional stock closer or mixup, rather than the main style of play. One thing about detaching Luma is that Rosa loses access to her Lunar Landing options which is easily one of Rosa's best tools in a match with all it's versatility. It's great for catching opponents off guard when they drop shield after thinking that Rosa is landing without performing an attack or airdodging, only to be bopped in the face by Luma who seemingly comes out of nowhere. It's also great for starting attack strings- one of my favorites is a LL B-air> Dash attack/Dash grab, etc.
I also feel like off-stage edgeguarding is easier with Luma attached as it extends/widens Rosa's hitbox, unless you're going for the occasional edgeguard mix-up by sending Luma out there which I do on occasion to catch an opponent off guard with it's Dair.
In addition, I feel that Rosa's U-air is a much better juggling tool when Luma is attached to her, as you can get really early kills off the top of some stages with Luma's U-air alone which comes out faster than Rosalina's. I've juggled opponents who have tried to slip through Rosalina's U-air with an air dodge, and had them get caught by Luma because it can act so quickly after their air dodge ends.

I think one bad thing about detaching Luma is that fast, rushdown characters like Shiek can easily take that opportunity to swiftly take it out without much worry (and good opponents will really capitalize on this), a few F-airs is all it really takes for Shiek- and some characters can just take him out by raw power before Rosalina can really do much about it. (I've lost a few stray Lumas to a Link U-tilt juggle on occasion. XP)
Detaching Luma also removes the protection it gets from Gravitational Pull, and I've had times where I shoot Luma forward in an attempt to mixup approach or to try and set up a punish- only to have Luma be assaulted by projectiles and waste a ton of it's HP, sometimes even killing it. I actually saw a lot of examples of this in your posted video where the Ness would just PK fire the Luma after Rosalina sent it out. It was actually a little cringe worthy for me, seeing the Luma shot out so often, despite the fact it kept getting wrecked by PK fire. It's not really a great strategy against characters that have a good projectile that can keep Luma in hitstun and just eat away it's HP. Characters that thrive on projectile zoning pretty much eat Luma for breakfast if it's left to fly Solo.
Also, Luma has some pretty decent priority, but there are again a lot of moves that can easily swat it away. I don't think I would agree that it can fight opponents easily on it's own without Rosalina having to enter the fray. Nearly every time in that video where Luma gets sent out, Ness smacks it away with a N-air or some other attack and it rarely puts him in a situation where having it untethered is more advantageous for the Rosalina player than just keeping it close-by. At one point he even sends it out only to have Ness instantly turn around and dash attack it off the stage. Though I do think he was going about it the wrong way. I don't think it's a good idea to constantly shoot Luma into your opponent's shield like that, and if you are going to untether it to try and mindgame your opponent, a better opportunity to do so is when your opponent is busy with something like coming back to the stage.

Another thing to mention is the overall protection Luma can provide while tethered to Rosalina, it's almost like Life insurance. XD
I can't even count how many times Luma's saved my butt by being tethered to me and throwing out an attack in situations where the opponent tries to punish my landing lag from Up-B, or things like Marth breaking my shield, or characters that bury me in the ground. Times where I definitely would have lost a stock if Luma had been detached and not able to back me up. I definitely feel at least for myself, that the risk of losing Luma to a punish is more worth it than losing a Stock to a punish.

There are definitely merits to playing with the Luma detached, there are some pretty creative things you can do to catch your opponents off guard for sure, including some pretty nice combos.
I would say that from my personal experience, I feel like the optimal way to play Rosalina is a combination of both Tethered and Untethered Luma, and knowing what situation suits each option the best. Though I'd say that more often than not, I'll have Luma attached to me unless I see a really good opportunity to send it out.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I detether him quite often. Sometimes I go near a whole match with him dethered. I generally view Rosalina as a paradigm shifter, so I detether Luma a lot and have a lot of mindsets and set-ups when I do so.

If you master Luma's detethered controls, it's really beneficial and I find Luma will live a lot longer (I don't often see him KO'd more than 2-3 times), and Rosalina will take much less damage.

Here's examples of me playing. Not really me at the top of my form, and one of them is just a casual match with a friend, but it shows me playing with a detethered Luma.

I really don't view Rosalina as a defensive character, and tend to think she is much better than people give her credit for. Her match up spread is dominating this way, I don't feel she has a single one that goes below even.

CovetedTerminus

Smash Rookie
sonicbrawler, I love the way you use her. It's exactly how I was talking about. I really like how you run in to punish Lucina for hitting Luma and that you use Luma for suppressive fire at times to throw off your opponent.

I'm gonna try recording some of my play. For whatever reason, I didn't realize that I could record on my phone. Quality won't be good by any means (and I'll understand if anyone might not want to watch because of it), but eh. It gets the job done. So hopefully I'll be uploading some soon and can maybe get a better recording device later on. What things can you buy that work well for video recording?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Unfortunately they aren't the best examples as they were not particularly intense matches and I don't like playing online as much because of the delay and stuff, but it gives a nice enough idea I guess. I don't like sticking with a single role for Rosalina & Luma, I like to switch their roles up.

Nadeko Sengoku

Nadeko da yo!
Eh, personally I find that playing with Luma untethered from Rosalina is better used for the occasional stock closer or mixup, rather than the main style of play. One thing about detaching Luma is that Rosa loses access to her Lunar Landing options which is easily one of Rosa's best tools in a match with all it's versatility. It's great for catching opponents off guard when they drop shield after thinking that Rosa is landing without performing an attack or airdodging, only to be bopped in the face by Luma who seemingly comes out of nowhere. It's also great for starting attack strings- one of my favorites is a LL B-air> Dash attack/Dash grab, etc.
I also feel like off-stage edgeguarding is easier with Luma attached as it extends/widens Rosa's hitbox, unless you're going for the occasional edgeguard mix-up by sending Luma out there which I do on occasion to catch an opponent off guard with it's Dair.
In addition, I feel that Rosa's U-air is a much better juggling tool when Luma is attached to her, as you can get really early kills off the top of some stages with Luma's U-air alone which comes out faster than Rosalina's. I've juggled opponents who have tried to slip through Rosalina's U-air with an air dodge, and had them get caught by Luma because it can act so quickly after their air dodge ends.

I think one bad thing about detaching Luma is that fast, rushdown characters like Shiek can easily take that opportunity to swiftly take it out without much worry (and good opponents will really capitalize on this), a few F-airs is all it really takes for Shiek- and some characters can just take him out by raw power before Rosalina can really do much about it. (I've lost a few stray Lumas to a Link U-tilt juggle on occasion. XP)
Detaching Luma also removes the protection it gets from Gravitational Pull, and I've had times where I shoot Luma forward in an attempt to mixup approach or to try and set up a punish- only to have Luma be assaulted by projectiles and waste a ton of it's HP, sometimes even killing it. I actually saw a lot of examples of this in your posted video where the Ness would just PK fire the Luma after Rosalina sent it out. It was actually a little cringe worthy for me, seeing the Luma shot out so often, despite the fact it kept getting wrecked by PK fire. It's not really a great strategy against characters that have a good projectile that can keep Luma in hitstun and just eat away it's HP. Characters that thrive on projectile zoning pretty much eat Luma for breakfast if it's left to fly Solo.
Also, Luma has some pretty decent priority, but there are again a lot of moves that can easily swat it away. I don't think I would agree that it can fight opponents easily on it's own without Rosalina having to enter the fray. Nearly every time in that video where Luma gets sent out, Ness smacks it away with a N-air or some other attack and it rarely puts him in a situation where having it untethered is more advantageous for the Rosalina player than just keeping it close-by. At one point he even sends it out only to have Ness instantly turn around and dash attack it off the stage. Though I do think he was going about it the wrong way. I don't think it's a good idea to constantly shoot Luma into your opponent's shield like that, and if you are going to untether it to try and mindgame your opponent, a better opportunity to do so is when your opponent is busy with something like coming back to the stage.

Another thing to mention is the overall protection Luma can provide while tethered to Rosalina, it's almost like Life insurance. XD
I can't even count how many times Luma's saved my butt by being tethered to me and throwing out an attack in situations where the opponent tries to punish my landing lag from Up-B, or things like Marth breaking my shield, or characters that bury me in the ground. Times where I definitely would have lost a stock if Luma had been detached and not able to back me up. I definitely feel at least for myself, that the risk of losing Luma to a punish is more worth it than losing a Stock to a punish.

There are definitely merits to playing with the Luma detached, there are some pretty creative things you can do to catch your opponents off guard for sure, including some pretty nice combos.
I would say that from my personal experience, I feel like the optimal way to play Rosalina is a combination of both Tethered and Untethered Luma, and knowing what situation suits each option the best. Though I'd say that more often than not, I'll have Luma attached to me unless I see a really good opportunity to send it out.
Falln is a great Rosalina and Luma player that uses Luma separate and is really successful with it in tournament.
EDIT : also many top/high level Rosalina players are now starting to send out Luma more as it's proven to be effective in in some situations

Last edited:

Aurora Sparkle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aurora-Sparkle
Falln is a great Rosalina and Luma player that uses Luma separate and is really successful with it in tournament.
EDIT : also many top/high level Rosalina players are now starting to send out Luma more as it's proven to be effective in in some situations
I don't think any of us are really in any sort of disagreement, since it all seems we acknowledge that a healthy combination of both the Tethered and Untethered styles can lead to a really successful Rosalina. I just wanted to point out in my post some advantages of using them together and some disadvantages of using them untethered, if you're not careful about how you control your Luma.
The first video posted wasn't really a great example of the untethered playstyle.
The one that you posted however was a really nice video, he used a lot of really cool tricks with Luma separated, but I loved how he also took advantage of using Lunar Landing and other RosaLuma tricks. He's really good at mixing it up and catching the opponent off guard.
Hopefully I can be that good one day. XP

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I use untethered Luma often. In fact, I think it's often superior to tethered Luma, and allows Rosa to be more aggressive. Since Luma tries to stay relative to its deployed position as you move, you can create a kind of "dance" with Rosa and Luma crossing and leading each other.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Separating Luma from Rosalina is a pretty rare tactic I use. However, after seeing how falln kicked everyone's asses like a boss that way, it really made me wanna work on my RosaLuma game literally. I just don't know where to start though.

CovetedTerminus

Smash Rookie
Separating Luma from Rosalina is a pretty rare tactic I use. However, after seeing how falln kicked everyone's ***** like a boss that way, it really made me wanna work on my RosaLuma game literally. I just don't know where to start though.
I'd say you should start by playing against the computer while keeping Rosalina and Luma seperated. Start off instead of just trying to win, try to get a feel for Luma's movement. The more intuitively you know how Luma moves, the more often you'll be able to use her effectively. You should also get a feel for attacking with Luma and the timing you should do so with. Luma's attacks all reflect Rosalina's, but they're slightly different so you'll have to get a feel for their range and power. You'll need to understand Luma as well as you understand Rosalina, as if Luma was a brand new character you're learning.

Might sound like a lot of work, but it's really not. It just means playing while keeping them detethered and experimenting with it. Which, in my opinion, is a lot of fun.

Top Bottom