• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How not to suck in For Glory?

Steamblown

Smash Rookie
There's no denying that FD is the worst possible stage to play on for Robin, as detailed in Raziek's stage tactics guide, but it didn't say anything about the best way to survive there, only all it does to hinder Robin. But since for glory takes place on Omega stages only, if I want to play as Robin online, what is the best way to survive on final destination, given the tools I have to work with?

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
this thread....you are asking "how not to suck at playing the game"

think about it, what kind of question is this? are you seriously expecting a serious answer? just play well baka

SoBMudkip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ROBIN_HYPE
Get better is the only answer for this. You cannot let the stage dictate whether you win or lose, it is up to your skill and intellect. Sure, some stages give Robin an advantage, but FD isn't terrible if you have a decent ground game.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Final Destination is difficult to play on because of Robin's speed, the length of the stage, difficulty recovering, and the distant kill zones which put more emphasis on edge-play than the quick, low-percent kills Robin excels at. To play on this stage effectively, a number of skills are helpful; such as the ability to land an Elwind spike and a Nair gimp, to tech stagespikes, to be frugal with the easily-punished Arcfire, to charge Thoron on a flat plane with nothing to defend you (namely, the ability to judge the maximum travel distance of projectiles and shield/dodge in time to avoid attacks when charging), to mix-up recovery, both horizontally off-stage and on return from ledge, and so forth. I'd say you could categorize skill into 5(?) or so types:

1. General Smash Skill
2. Specific Smash Skill
3. Character Skill
4. Anti-Character Skill
5. Stage Skill

I'm sure you could say there are others. But like the other guys said, the FD map will give you a disadvantage that can be made up for in the other four types of skill as well as a specific stage strategy and well-honed skills to utilize it.

1FC0

Smash Lord
The stage does not matter because the key to victory lies within.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
The stage does not matter because the key to victory lies within.
I realize you're making a joke, but I just want to note that the stage absolutely makes a difference. Final Destination is BAAAAAAAAAAAAD for Robin. Robin needs platforms to defend himself, to aid in combos, and to make landing somewhat safer. Robin is absolutely at a disadvantage on For Glory.

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
...reason why I decided to forsake FG a long time ago. It's not worth Robin's time, and it's not worth my time(plus For Glory is Speed Standard anyway).

Regardless, @ Meek Moths Meek Moths please refrain from insulting @ Steamblown Steamblown . Any question's a question, and there are no stupid questions. There may be redundant ones, but not stupid.

1FC0

Smash Lord
...reason why I decided to forsake FG a long time ago. It's not worth Robin's time, and it's not worth my time(plus For Glory is Speed Standard anyway).

Regardless, @ Meek Moths Meek Moths please refrain from insulting @ Steamblown Steamblown . Any question's a question, and there are no stupid questions. There may be redundant ones, but not stupid.
It is not worth your time because you suck!
FG 1v1 is full of scrubs if you lose there against more than 8% of the people that you encounter with your main while playing seriously then you are doing something wrong!

Though I agree that we should not insult each other. And that this question is not stupid. It's answer is simple though. Jist 2-stock the scrubs on FG 1v1 and you will be fine!

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
It is not worth your time because you suck!
FG 1v1 is full of scrubs if you lose there against more than 8% of the people that you encounter with your main while playing seriously then you are doing something wrong!

Though I agree that we should not insult each other. And that this question is not stupid. It's answer is simple though. Jist 2-stock the scrubs on FG 1v1 and you will be fine!
Hate to burst your bubble, but there're a pretty significant number of players in FG who play seriously. I played for a couple hours last night, and I'd say the percentage of players I ran into who were highly skilled was closer to 80%, not 8. It was unusually high, but the fact remains that even though FG is flawed competitively, it still has merits.

Since you're stuck with Omegas in FG, your best bet to improving there is to get an idea of how to play on Final Destination. Unfortunately, that's an uphill battle for Robin players since it both exposes our weaknesses and gives advantages to our bad matchups. Focus on understanding the spacing of Robin's tilts and which aerials have landing lag at which times (to keep from leaving yourself open). Also, when you go up against someone who makes use of projectiles (Link, ZSS, etc), pay attention to how far their projectiles can go. If you can sit just outside of their max range, it's free time to charge Thoron...which is one of the few ways Robin can take advantage of FD, as the lack of platforms makes Thoron a nasty landing trap.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Hate to burst your bubble, but there're a pretty significant number of players in FG who play seriously. I played for a couple hours last night, and I'd say the percentage of players I ran into who were highly skilled was closer to 80%, not 8. It was unusually high, but the fact remains that even though FG is flawed competitively, it still has merits.

Since you're stuck with Omegas in FG, your best bet to improving there is to get an idea of how to play on Final Destination. Unfortunately, that's an uphill battle for Robin players since it both exposes our weaknesses and gives advantages to our bad matchups. Focus on understanding the spacing of Robin's tilts and which aerials have landing lag at which times (to keep from leaving yourself open). Also, when you go up against someone who makes use of projectiles (Link, ZSS, etc), pay attention to how far their projectiles can go. If you can sit just outside of their max range, it's free time to charge Thoron...which is one of the few ways Robin can take advantage of FD, as the lack of platforms makes Thoron a nasty landing trap.
Maybe FG 1v1 matches you up with people who live nearby and the people in my country suck because I rarely find someone who is better than me on FG 1v1 and I have played a few thousand matches there. I can easily get a win rate of 100% for the last 100 matches whenever I want to. And it is safe to assume that I am not a very good player since FG 1v1 is my best competitive experience with Smash 4 and I am not really good in SSBB either and in Smash 64 I just plain sucked.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
How to not suck in For Glory?

Simple answer: Don't play For Glory at all, just suck anyway :chuckle:. Okay sorry, mean jokes aside, For Glory is a crappy game mode and I would honestly recommend avoiding it and playing elsewhere, its not a great competitive scene at all and can only get you so far.
  • At least 65%-70% of people online suck. You will hardly come across anybody there who is even close to a tournament-viable player, and it can make you form bad habits playing against terrible people. In my personal experience, a lot of people on For Glory spam rolls and get up attacks I usually counter with down smashes and dash attacks and it usually works a lot. This habit of mine carries over elsewhere in smashfests and on SmashLadder.com where better people don't do those things (or at least not as often), and I am prone to making too many attempts at hard reads because of this and suffer with dealing w/people's ledge options and I picked up both weaknesses from For Glory. Matchmaking seems pretty random too. A lot of people there can also be really unsportsmanlike and mock you, and sometimes leave after winning or losing only one game. Look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQKhOX1BqRI
  • Only stage used is Final Destination, and FD is barely a balanced stage. And in the case of Robin, yeah, FInal Destination sucks for him/her. Needs platforms for defending him/herself, loses to heavier zoning, and limits landing options. Other characters like :4ganondorf:, :4charizard:, :4kirby:, and :4luigi: suck on this stage too and can't be played to their full potential; and characters like :4tlink:, :4samus:, :4littlemac:(even though he has the lowest win rate), and :4villager: are stronger than they would normally be.
  • Latency problems can make you and your opponent suffer lag, even if you have a generally good connection, and can mess up your inputs and spacing. Really important when playing Pac-Man and anyone else who needs precise inputs, much harder to play online than offline.
For Glory is ass, and it can only really get you so far in improving at the game. In fact, I'd even say it can actually be harmful to you: programming you to get used to playing only on one stage, forcing you to play with and against a limited number of strategies, pitting you against mostly unworthy opponents (and form poor habits playing them), and bring you into laggy games with poor connections. Its better to play on SmashLadder.com than it is to play For Glory

Top Bottom