• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How much skill does Toon Link take?

D

Deleted member

Toonlinks learning curve is kind of high imo
Beginner toonlinks have a lot of fun just throwing projectiles, but they think he's link or its brawl so they just sit in place and expect something to happen... only to get punished
Once you start getting good you notice that you can move around the stage a lot, and thats where your approach and pretty much your entire neutral game comes from is platform camping/going around the stage
Final level toonlink is kind of a mix of knowing what to do with your projectiles so your neutral game is right, perfecting your movement and punish game so you can be fast and precise, and also he has a lot of little things that I personally think are important, so sitting in the lab with him might be needed.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Toonlinks learning curve is kind of high imo
Beginner toonlinks have a lot of fun just throwing projectiles, but they think he's link or its brawl so they just sit in place and expect something to happen... only to get punished
Once you start getting good you notice that you can move around the stage a lot, and thats where your approach and pretty much your entire neutral game comes from is platform camping/going around the stage
Final level toonlink is kind of a mix of knowing what to do with your projectiles so your neutral game is right, perfecting your movement and punish game so you can be fast and precise, and also he has a lot of little things that I personally think are important, so sitting in the lab with him might be needed.
Wow, I feel like I already do most of that.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
He takes no skill at all, you just spam bombs and hit confirm into auto combos.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Says the DK main
AUTO COMBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSS

Skootarius

Smash Cadet
I think he's a mid level difficulty character when it comes to tech skill. I think that what make's him harder is that he has to change his play style in a large amount of matchups and they should be approached differently. Basically he can't just "Marth" his way through every match and play it all the same. (No offence intended to Marth players). Also, you gotta be a smart Tink. Anyone can just chuck projectiles, but it's the platform play, dash dancing, baiting, tricks, and precision that will make him shine most of all and it's a skill that can't be learned expect by playing the character. I think the same can be said for many characters, but Tink seems to me to be one of the ones who does it best. (My bias)

MrDrJacob

Smash Rookie
NNID
MisterJacob
One thing I've noticed about learning Tink is that playing him is less about tech skill and more about learning to weave in and out of your opponent's movements while simultaneously setting up projectile traps. Whether you want to be dominantly campy or aggro is up to you, but learning to do both is crucial.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I was joking, haha. These kinds of threads are obnoxious becuase how much skill a character takes is not only irrelevant (If you are better than your opponent, you will beat them, character selection is a part of your skill), it's entirely subjective and pointless to debate.

ManaX

Smash Apprentice
SHHH
THAT'S SUPER SECRET CONFIDENTIAL ****
It takes years for people to realize the characters have the same button combinations but different timing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom