• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how much does TL need the boomerang?

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
As i understand it, tink was designed to be a more offensive version of Link, who's an endurance character. For me personally i get the least mileage out of the boomerang than his other two projectiles, the only thing i can commend it for is it's returning properties, but even those aren't too stellar IMO. So i wanted to ask what other players think and discuss if, maybe the boomerang doesn't fit his playstyle as much as it does his other projectiles. What could be suggested to make it fit better or what could possibly replace it? I'm not saying we write up a whole strongly worded letter to the devs, i know they don't change things on a whim, but if i'm not alone in my thinking i know they at most listen to input from players and take it into consideration. Anywho, am I alone in my thinking or no?

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
You can use it as a combo starter, combo extender, use it to combo into a kill move at high %s and use it to cover a lot of different angles (grounded approaches, covering platforms, aerial control etc.), so even if the move itself doesn't directly hit them, you can use it to put your opponent in bad situations and capitalise on that. It's a very useful tool to use and I would place it as his second best projectile, after bombs.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
hm, thanks jolteon :) guess ive just been using it wrong. didnt realize it had that kinda hit stun. I'll play around with it some more. it just sorta seemed to me that whatever situation you could use the boomerang for, a bomb toss could work just as well

Jolteon

Yeah it combos into pretty much anything, the boomerang catch animation was disabled in 2.6 so you have a lot more time to act after throwing it point blank. It's a really versatile move so a lot of its strength comes from how creatively you use it. It can also control space that bombs can't reach, which is cool.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
You don't have to 'pull' boomerangs out... ?
haha

Simple WD-backwards > Boomerang throw directly forward, covers a lot, and opens up a lot.
Don't try to over-complicate things. :D

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
am i the only one who's slightly annoyed by the start up speed on the boomerang though? just a minor quip... but still thanks for the advice guys.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
am i the only one who's slightly annoyed by the start up speed on the boomerang though? just a minor quip... but still thanks for the advice guys.

Jolteon

The start-up is very punishable if you use it when you're too close to the enemy, gotta be careful about that.

OmegaMuffin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OmegaMuffin498
Boomerang is amazing. If it hits straight on it give you time to follow up, pull out a bomb, reposition yourself, etc. If your opponent is conscious of its imminent return they'll shield and you can put on some shield pressure or it'll save you from a combo. I try to throw mine out after pulling a bomb out so if the opponent dodges it you can throw something else at them to frighten them.

Hulter

Smash Cadet
It's pretty cool if you manage to get it past your opponent and can keep him in its return trajectory, in order to get a free hit opening. I mostly use it like that and as a delayed attack to link combos together while giving you freedom to whip out a bomb or something.

Top Bottom