• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How much do game journalists earn

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
Wow, harsh. What do you do with your life that is so high and mighty, Remus, hm?

A couple minutes of Googling tells me that the average salary of journalists (5-10 years of exp) is around $40k. But, journalists who write for larger publications like Time and Comso probably make a whole bunch more. And gaming is an specialized industry; kind of niche since there are much fewer magazines out there. *shrugs* A bit more searching around would help, I'm sure.

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
I am a professor, a slightly more respected position.
You're also someone who finds some kind of pleasure trashes several thousands of people because do they want they want to make any honest living for no good reason.

Sure don't see why that would deserve any respect.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I am a professor, a slightly more respected position.
Who cares?

If you like being a professor then have fun.

If tughy wants to be a game journalist then great for him/her, I hope he/she gets it.

positional respect is worth nothing if you hate your job, and having a "respected" position doesn't give you any right to look down upon "lesser mortals", it just makes you look ignorant and stupid, which overwhelms any respect based on your position.

Actions speak louder then titles.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
They make very little. Reviewers, strictly reviewers that is, make even less and sometimes aren't paid at all.

I laughed when Remus said a professor is a more respected position. Honestly, just because you have a title, doesn't make you respected. Get over yourself.

Peeze

Smash Master
not advertising but if you really wanna know payscale.com tells you all you need to know. just put in your location your experience as a game journalist and your education and it'll give you the average salary(or hourly wage if you prefer) in your area of game journalists with your amount of experience.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Neat site, BUT most jobs like that are telecommuting jobs.

Best way to get into that? Join a site as a reviewer. I last all of one review when I was at Gameplasma. They were just starting out, so I did a good review, but at the last minute, I got tired of their bull****. At the time, they told me they can get me any new game I want. I figured awesome. They said they could get me into E3 (back when E3 was good); I was stoked. After doing the review, the site organization and lack of pay led me to leave without ever turning in my final draft.

Sadly, to get to the bigger sites, expect to deal with sites like this - upstart companies who don't have deep pockets.

Top Bottom