• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many of you have actually been horribly "camp'd"?

dj_pwn1423

Smash Journeyman
I haven't had a match were I was defeated by an overly campy player( then again not that many people Ive faced have been very campy), so I want to know how bad the situation really is...

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I've never been camped, but I have camped OTHER people. I once manage to run an 8 minute clock out without dying and without killing my opponent. The match ended with Me having 50ish% him having 120ish%(by tourney rules this would make me the winner) Oddly, none of my friends want to play brawl with me anymore >.>

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
Um, I mainly play 4 person FFA 3-4 stock no items. This sort of eliminates camping... or atleast spamming. Everyone teams up on the spammer.

However, even in those situations I find camping to be highly effective and it sort of pisses other people off. I spam waddledees making it difficult for them to approach. When they actually get close enough to atempt to attack I will dodge out of the way and then I have several options
-grab and set that up for a chain grab
-run and start spamming again
-be forced to fight

Because of the strength of shields their attacks usually put me in the better position. So if they get past my spam they face my camp and could eat anything from a gordo to an up smash.

Gluttony

Smash Cadet
I've never been camped, but I have camped OTHER people. I once manage to run an 8 minute clock out without dying and without killing my opponent. The match ended with Me having 50ish% him having 120ish%(by tourney rules this would make me the winner) Oddly, none of my friends want to play brawl with me anymore >.>
Like Pink Reaper I have yet to play someone that was able to camp me where I couldn't do anything. However, I have been able to do this to players that have played me in my area. Infact, everyone I have played I have been able to do this. Luckily, these people still play with me in hopes that they can learn to do what I'm able to do so that when there's tournaments in our area we'd be ready to participate in them.

SKnickers03

Smash Journeyman
my girlfriend does it it a lot...its annoying as all hell, and she knows it...but what are you gonna do

P.E

Smash Apprentice
I still don´t get it. What´s actually camping in a fighting game? If you always try to keep distance and use your projectiles you shouldn´t be blamed in my opinion. That´s how I used to use Link in the original SSB. Kirby was great in combat but without having projectiles he was forced to attack me. And of course a successful counter attack should lead into trying to combo... I don´t see a problem in Brawl yet (maybe except on large stages like New Pork City).

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
you should read Gimpyfish's thread on backwards progression

and yes you would be camping with Link in the original SSB. In SSB it could easily be dealt with and there were incentives not to camp.

Camping is basically trying to force your opponent to attack you. The AWP camper isn't going to spam, but he is going to wait for you to come to him, that is the nature of the camp.

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
I think most everyone has camped.
Camping can be broken down into two sub-sections

The first is normal camping. This is the strategy that spammers use. This is what is usually identified as camping. Although widely used, I believe that strategies will pop up that will keep the good players above the campers. There will be a chunk of campers in the rankings system, above them will be good players and below them will be bad players.

The second form of camping is semi-camping. This is when you wait for an opponent to come to you (not using any means of attack) and then parry his attack. This is the technique people use subconsciously (or at least I do). This is the most widely used form of camping because it is part of the game. Lets say for example you clash hits with someone. Then they attack right after and then you shield it and grab them. You just semi-camped.

Superstarmario

Smash Journeyman
I've played a super campy Toon Link. What's worse was I was using Kirby and was on battlefield, so the tiny freak kept staying under the platforms limiting aerial apporach. I managed to win (Kirbycides) but I had to go through a hell of a lot of Fthrows, Boomerangs, Arrows, and dash attacks to do it.

Top Bottom