• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many of you do aerials with Z?

UCbizerkeley

Smash Cadet
I see it tossed around that people do aerials commonly with A and occasionally with the c-stick. But does anyone competitive, or for that matter anyone here, use the Z button? It makes grabbing quicker, and jumps to aerials are immediate (two separate fingers, no need to move thumb from X to A)

So do any pros and/or users here use Z for aerials? Or is it all A? I use Z, but am considering switching because I seem to shffl better with A (I am definitely just learning, so I feel I can ingrain habits now)

invertigo

Smash Journeyman

i use cstick, its the best way if you think about it. you can hold forward and still do a bair/uair/dair if you want. you should use what youre used to but technically im pretty sure cstick is most efficient.

cyberdemon

Smash Journeyman
I use the Z button just for the N-air, since it doesn't require any directional input, and you can press the Z button again to cancel.
I do the other aerials with the C-stick.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
i use z to bair off of the ledge. why would you use anything other than the c-stick to do any attack other than the neutral aerial?

pchoo

Smash Cadet
If you ever play as the IC's and need to get nana to sh-dair for your chain throw, its a lot easier to use the Z button than A... and generally faster than using the c-stick (a-x-down-z in rapid succession).

But yeah... other than that, uhm. :S

3GOD

Smash Ace
Pretty much only for Marth 2xFair and sometimes for Jiggs - other wise I use A for neutral and c-stick for others. C-stick owns.

Sliq

Smash Master
I z-cancel whenever I want to land on a platform and throw up my lite shield. It is a nifty trick to do if someone is above you, because, depending on the character, if they strike your lite shield, it will force you to slide off of the platform, and they might miss their l-cancel due to you fuxxing up their timing with the lite shield. So, your shield gets canceled so you can attack them as they lag out the ***.

xelad1

Smash Ace
where did you hear that everyone uses A and only sometimes c-stick. C-stick is the preferred method in most instances. Its much harder to DI using A or Z, and have you ever tried pillaring properly using A? C-stick should be used predominately for everything (except nair of course). The only main exception I can think of is Marth's double fair but even that can be done with the C-stick if you are fast enough (and at least the second half SHOULD be done with the C-stick).

tshahi10

Smash Ace
okay minus some exceptions

noobs= A
intermediate to advanced= C (minus neutral of course)
people that have trouble shffling or cant slide their finger from x to c-stick= Z
peach players= C(exceptneutral or unless your a noob in which case. Why the heck are you playing peach go use roy and link)

me you ask
I use the c-stick cause i can tap x and then use the lower part of my thumb to do a short hop fair/double fair u air u air or dair. but if i am facing left and want to do a short hop bair i use z or if im facing right and want to do a fair/double fair. for nairs i tip the top part of my thumb to the y then push down quickly with the rest of my thumb into the A

I think my way is the quickest cause
- when you use z you have to pause for 2,3 frames so unless your that frame perfect,(no one is that perfect, heance normal) and also the part that you will immediatly aerial if you c even if pressed at the same time as the jump, so no fearing jc grab
-again same with tip of thumb y to rest A neutrals: you dont have more then 1 frame lag which again is intiated faster, no fearin jc
-only part that is same with you guys is bair facing left and fair facing right

_shadow_fox_

Smash Cadet
okay minus some exceptions

noobs= A
intermediate to advanced= C (minus neutral of course)
people that have trouble shffling or cant slide their finger from x to c-stick= Z
peach players= C(exceptneutral or unless your a noob in which case. Why the heck are you playing peach go use roy and link)

me you ask
I use the c-stick cause i can tap x and then use the lower part of my thumb to do a short hop fair/double fair u air u air or dair. but if i am facing left and want to do a short hop bair i use z or if im facing right and want to do a fair/double fair. for nairs i tip the top part of my thumb to the y then push down quickly with the rest of my thumb into the A

I think my way is the quickest cause
- when you use z you have to pause for 2,3 frames so unless your that frame perfect,(no one is that perfect, heance normal) and also the part that you will immediatly aerial if you c even if pressed at the same time as the jump, so no fearing jc grab
-again same with tip of thumb y to rest A neutrals: you dont have more then 1 frame lag which again is intiated faster, no fearin jc
-only part that is same with you guys is bair facing left and fair facing right

Well, it's REALLY hard for me to use the c-stick cuz I jump with y and not x. So, I guess I'm not ANY of them. I'm the one that does whatever's quicker/easier for me to do at the time so I can easily go into something else, I'ts really situational, sometimes, when I get hit up, I fast-fall, then c-stick but thats it. I mostly use a or z.

Top Bottom