• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how many of you actually have played MOTHER3?

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
it seems to me a little weird how someone could main someone and not play their game(s).... but in this case i don't blame you (the whole japanese only thing).

i imported mother3 this christmas.... the game was not only one of the best games ever coded, but it provides a TON of insight into understanding lucas as a character from the mother series...and, surprisingly, as a smash character!

not just a couple of his moves are based on the game (basically just the needle and the stick and all of those hexagons.... because all of the specials belong to kumatora, and his rope snake is actually duster's rope snake), but his whole personality in brawl is taken from mother3. more so than most characters in the smash series, actually.

so, you owe it to yourself and to lucas to play mother3 however you can :p. how many of you already have?

NGamer92

Smash Rookie
I've played it and I love it and Brawl does show his personality like it was in the game.

For those of you who haven't played or want an English version go to starmen.net
They are currently working on a translated version(won't be done before Brawl tough).

EToaster

Smash Apprentice
I'd love to play it, but I'm waiting on the english patch. For now, I'll probably stick with Ness. =)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I really want to play it. I'm giving Nintendo just a little more time. I want to see if Lucas pulls a Fire Emblem because Ness surely isn't going to help.

If we still don't get it, I'm importing.

JoJoRukus

Smash Apprentice
What I really hope for is an international release... What would REALLY make my head explode with joy is if they released some kind of compilation of Mother1-3 on one catridge or disc, depending on WHERE it showed up. Now that would be juicy, and then maybe the Masked Man could get into the next Smash Bros, because I bet the importance of his true identity to the Mother 3 story partially made him less useable. I mean... if they do have some sort of plan for an international release, they wouldn't want to spoil the Masked Man for everyone. Not everyone searches out spoilers like they are candy, like I do. D:

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
lol at Lucas's alt costume being the replica of Claus and yes I loved Mother3

Levitas

the moon
I've done my best to stumble through the game. It's tough if you know absolutely no japanese, so I'm gonna wait for the trans patch before I continue.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
I've seen just the very beginning in Japanese, but am waiting for the English translation. I can't wait!

For those who don't know, you can check information and progress relating to the translation here.

Ouendanation

Smash Ace
I'm one of the 3 people who've played it T_T Everyone keeps whining about how it's in Japanese so they refuse to play it... It's really not difficult at all to play... There's pictures of items and the story plays itself out visually perfectly.

KF11

Smash Apprentice
played through the first 2 mother games and now im playing through MOTHER3, very good so far.

Mac_77

Smash Cadet
I've borrowed the import from a friend of mine a while back when Lucas was first announced, I wanted to play it before Brawl spoiled parts of the storyline for me, and I have to say it is an amazing game with a great storyline. It would have been awesome to see Drago as an assist... meh... :ohwell:

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
I've done my best to stumble through the game. It's tough if you know absolutely no japanese, so I'm gonna wait for the trans patch before I continue.
i knew enough japanese to get through well enough. the only times you really want to know japanese is the battles. all the rest i just read translations online.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
You need to understand Japanese or the final "boss fight" will suck in every way.

Hammabro

Smash Apprentice
I reached pretty far in the game but then I lost the save data (and with it my motivation to complete it).

I just reached the part where you go into the sea (and the rope snake leaves for good after failing again

espio87

Smash Ace
I had been waiting patiently for the starmen.net staff to finish the translation, but because of Brawl being close to release and the fact that I have nothing better to do since I'm still on vacation I decided to play it 6 days ago. I finished it yesterday and I have to say it's one of the best games Nintendo ever made.
man, I never expected a sadder ending than this. why did Claus have to die?:(.
I'm with you Kumaoso hoping that Lucas will do the same thing Marth and Roy did. I would love a remake of the Mother Saga on the DS. that would definetly rock.

DeeDoubleU

Smash Journeyman
I started it but got frustrated with the inability to understand anything.

The scenes might convey the story well, but they are pretty useless for knowing what needs to be done and when.

espio87

Smash Ace
I started it but got frustrated with the inability to understand anything.

The scenes might convey the story well, but they are pretty useless for knowing what needs to be done and when.
there's a translation guide at Gamefaqs. I used it to get through the game and I've gotta say that it's really useful.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
there's a translation guide at Gamefaqs. I used it to get through the game and I've gotta say that it's really useful.
^what i used, combined with the other FAQ (had item translations) and a walk-through FAQ that contained item descriptions so i knew what items were what.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
Lucas uses one of the seven needles? which move is that?
well i've heard his up-smash pulls a needle... but i haven't actually gone back and looked closer. also rumors that one of his victory poses involves a needle.

espio87

Smash Ace
well i've heard his up-smash pulls a needle... but i haven't actually gone back and looked closer. also rumors that one of his victory poses involves a needle.
I just checked the trailer which showed Lucas's up smash. It looks like he's pulling a needle, but he isn't. I'll search about his victory poses now. stay tuned.

gringo66

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking about going imported and then winging it. but i dont think so. ill just wait and see. i really wanna play it.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Too impatient to wait for the fan translation. ;) Played it with a translation guide, and I absolutely loved it. One of my favorite games of all time, easily.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
What I really hope for is an international release... What would REALLY make my head explode with joy is if they released some kind of compilation of Mother1-3 on one catridge or disc, depending on WHERE it showed up. Now that would be juicy, and then maybe the Masked Man could get into the next Smash Bros, because I bet the importance of his true identity to the Mother 3 story partially made him less useable. I mean... if they do have some sort of plan for an international release, they wouldn't want to spoil the Masked Man for everyone. Not everyone searches out spoilers like they are candy, like I do. D:
Found this on Wikipedia on the Mother series page:

Cross your fingers.

@ Cotton: Um. I main a character because I like his play style, not because of his/her games. R.O.B. and G&W should prove my point.

Devotion

Smash Apprentice
I have and it had to of being one of the best RPGs I've played in awhile. Making my way through the game a second time already.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
Found this on Wikipedia on the Mother series page:

Cross your fingers.

@ Cotton: Um. I main a character because I like his play style, not because of his/her games. R.O.B. and G&W should prove my point.
it's a combination. i like kirby, but i don't use him because i can't stand his playstyle (i actually like jiggs, though... :p). i like fox's playstyle... but i'm not really a fan of the character.

i like lucas, his playstyle, and his games. same for zelda and samus... possibly pit, depending on his playstyle.

Foxtorres

Smash Cadet
I have

Ive played mother 3, downloaded rom and the item menu patch and used the translation walkthrough guide to know what everyone was saying... actually playing through it a second time I loved it so much just got PK Flash x3 fun fun

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
I went out and bought it after playing through both MOTHER 1&2 and loved the game. the best game in the series by far!!! although.....in brawl they make Lucas out to be more of a coward than he was in the game.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
The Gamefaqs translation is all that you need as you'd probably get used to "reading" the names of the techiniques/items (along with the item's pictures) soon enough. However, I recommend for anybody who hasn't done so to take some time to learn hiragana and katakana (the Japanese 'alphabet'). Just look them up and write lines on a blank piece of paper. You can have them totally memorized in a week (as I did long ago to play Dragon Quest VI). Not only would it make playing through Mother 3 much easier but most any other japanese game as well (particularly non-RPGs).

More on topic: Mother 3 is a great game. Its story is very deep and symbolic (although usually hidden behind the usual Mother humour), the battle system is actually loads of fun (it's a simple addition - pressing a button to the beat of the music - but it actually makes the battles very entertaining), and the graphics are quite funny (the many thing the save frogs get into...). My only complaint with the game is how slow the 'chapter ending blurbs' can be.

-sonny-

Smash Journeyman
I really want to play it but I'm gonna have to wait until the fan translation is finished.

IMO playing an RPG in a language you don't understand is one of the most idiotic things that someone can do.

Mac_77

Smash Cadet
After playing Mother 3, I think they should have put in the Pokey Boss music and the Natural Killer Cyborg music in Brawl, they would have went great with the Pokey Boss fight in SSE and New Pork City.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I am waiting for the English patch, but I had someone who LOVES the series with a passion explain it to me and they've gotten me pretty hyped for Lucas. lol.

And I have the ROM and have seen parts of the game.

Also, I am pretty sure half of the people who play Marth haven't played Fire Emblem 1 or 3.

I played Ness as a secondary in SSB, but didn't play EarthBound/MOTHER 2 until well after I played Melee.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Playing an RPG in a language you don't understand without a translation guide IS stupid, but with one it's just slightly inconvenient. However, being able to play something years ahead of when it would otherwise be playable more than makes it worth it. It's very easy to follow along to an on-screen translation.

As for Marth, I'm sure it's much more than half. I've gone through both of his games (and I own Roy's) and they're fantastic which is why I like Marth. On the other hand, I find playing as the Ice Climbers to be a lot of fun and yet I hate their game with a passion.

I wonder what has the biggest determining factor in who people main: which characters they like the best from the character's original series or which character's Smash play-style they like most. I usuall fall into the former category (like, I refuse to ever play as Ike because I found his games offensively sub-par for Fire Emblem).

Noshiee

Smash Ace
I went out and bought it after playing through both MOTHER 1&2 and loved the game. the best game in the series by far!!! although.....in brawl they make Lucas out to be more of a coward than he was in the game.
SPOILERS-

I know, at the beggining he is more like his child-form, and when he tags along PT, and gets the courage to fight, he becomes like his older-form, he is still acts a bit cowardly, but not as much as before.

espio87

Smash Ace
SPOILERS-

I know, at the beggining he is more like his child-form, and when he tags along PT, and gets the courage to fight, he becomes like his older-form, he is still acts a bit cowardly, but not as much as before.
yeah, Lucas seems to grow in the SSE like he did in Mother 3.
SPOILERS

BTW, does anyone know what is that Place Lucas is when he is being chased by the Pokey statue? it looks like the ruins of Tatsumairi Village (after the Pig Army transformed it into a more urban town)

Qinopio

Smash Journeyman
The Mother series (really 2 and 3, but 1 has amazing music) are my favorite singleplayer games ever. I played 3 with the GameFAQs translation guide and my intermediate Japanese language skills, and will again when a translation (fan or official) is released.

I'm really hoping for that DS compilation. I also heard that from someone claiming to work for Nintendo on LUElinks, but who knows if they're telling the truth.

Top Bottom