• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many mains can you have?

Mr. Lemon

Smash Rookie
I personally think you can have one real main in SSB, but I always see differing opinions with some people believing you can have a lot of mains.

I searched this to find an old thread to read for opinions, but after 3 pages of searching I decided some updated opinions would be nice.

TIA.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Some people don't really have 1 particular character they're perfect with, and usually just use a top 5 or something. I personally have 5 "mains" but I'm not "perfect" with any of them. I really just use who I feel like at the moment. For me, main means the character(s) you mainly use most of the time.

I use Ness, Lucas, ZSS, Peach, and Zelda.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I personally have seperate mains for brawls and duels, though some of my mains I'll use in either kind of battle.

My mains for brawls: :dedede::toonlink::rob::jigglypuff:

My mains for duels: :kirby2::ivysaur::olimar:

Other mains: :metaknight::pikachu2:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The difference between Brawls and Duels arrrre...?
Well what I mean by a brawl is a group of 3 or 4, and with some characters I don't do really well when dealing with several players at once. I refer to 1v1 battles as duels and with some characters I do better with when only facing and concentrating on a single player. (other than myself)

Vale

Smash Ace
As others noted, there isn't a limit on the number of mains you can have (except for perhaps time). Sticking to a few characters allows you to become more familiar with specific matchups and reach higher levels of play. However, playing with more characters can give you more general matchup experience, since you will know the basics of how they play.

D

Deleted member

Usually 3. I can have 6 mains because the other 3 are my secondaries. I say 6 because it's a Pokemon reference that each user must have max of 6 Pokemon in hand.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
One, Metaknight.

But seriously, there is no limit to mains. You can have 35 or you can have 0, or anywhere in between. Most people prefer a single character though, so it really depends on the person.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I've had multiple mains on the various games but I usually just try to get exceptionally good with one character at a time. So I think it's better to keep the number of mains at a time low.

In SSB64 it was :yoshi:, but I was just a kid and more recently when I've played I enjoyed using :kirby64: more.

In Melee it was :linkmelee: for the first couple years. But later on after my friend became better than me with a higher tier character I switched to maining :marthmelee: and took back ahead of him.

Only ever one main in Brawl which was always :marthmelee:.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I personally think you can have one real main in SSB, but I always see differing opinions with some people believing you can have a lot of mains.

I searched this to find an old thread to read for opinions, but after 3 pages of searching I decided some updated opinions would be nice.

TIA.
I have a top 3.

1. Mr. Game & Watch
2. Luigi
3. Marth

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
There is no limit to how many mains you can have.
on the other hand it is more consistant to main 1 or 2 characters, this way you develop skill and more strategies to these characters.
but with my strategy I play pikachu or pit, and if I lose I go ice climbers, unless I get salty :smash:
my mains: :popo: :pikachu2: :pit::metaknight: :fox: :marthmelee:
secondaries: :falcomelee::nessmelee::lucas::olimar::dedede::link2::ganondorf::diddy::gw::luigimelee::snake:

Toon Link 99

Smash Cadet
I think you can have how many mains you want. I have four mains and three secondaries, I think it works just fine. My mains are Meta Knight, Kirby, Toon Link amd Link and my secondaries are Falco, Snake and King Dedede.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
However many you want. Competitive players have fewer as you can maximize your potential when you focus on a few characters and learn their ins and outs. If you don't care about tournaments or being the best Smash Bros player ever, than play as many characters as you want. Heck, main Random.

Top Bottom