• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many mains are too many?

energonkid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Energon_kid
Switch FC
SW-5446-8459-8780
I think limiting your self to 5 or below is good. I use :4bowser::4wiifit::4tlink: pretty evenly, and them sub in others for characters I have trouble with ( ZSS, Sonic, and Robin )

Edit- I have trouble beating ZSS, Sonic, and Robin, not playing as them.

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
2-4 mains is a good number.

However, start off learning one character, and once you think you have a good grasp on them, move on to the next. And then just keep playing as the characters you want to learn. Play against others, watch others, etc.

Wolfen McGunz

Smash Cadet
I've created my own group called sub-mains, they are basically the ones I'm very good with, but may just fall short of someone I consider a main

PKNinja95

Smash Ace
NNID
AKninja95
3DS FC
3351-4567-0361
Mains: :4ness:(Using him since Smash 64)
:4greninja:(Love Ninja characters and my favorite Water starter)
:4lucina:(Replacing :4marth: with her and she's my Smash waifu)

Secondary: :4lemmy:(Lemmy is my fav Koopaling)
:4pacman:(Love Namco and love Pac Man)
:4duckhunt:(Nostalgia and for trolling purposes :troll:)

Last edited:

servbot 42

Smash Cadet
NNID
Servbot42
Not at all. The context of a word does not automatically change it's definition. You can apply the dictionary definition of "main" to Smash just fine.
People have different definitions of main, even if they are wrong. The dictionary one is too vague for this situation. People say several, others say one. It all comes down to the thought process of the communit's definition of it. This one being Smash. This fórum should come with a poll.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
main(m
n)
adj.

Most important; principal. See Synonyms at chief.
2. Exerted to the utmost; sheer: by main strength.

You can have as many as you want.
The word "main" is being used as a noun here, actually, not as an adjective. Main has several definitions in its noun form, none of which relate to the topic at hand. "Main" used in Smash Brothers is a term coined by the Smash Brothers community, and not an official English definition, so it's really up in the air as to what the exact definition really is. From my understanding, it means "character(s) with which a Smasher plays with most often/prefers to play with." And yes, I do agree that there really is no limit to your main count, although it's best to keep in mind that having less mains means you can practice with them more. Personally though, my main is the random button. :awesome:

K-45

Smash Journeyman
4 should be the most amount of mains.

BUT u can have 2nd or characters that u play for fun.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
From my understanding, it means "character(s) with which a Smasher plays with most often/prefers to play with."
So in other words, it means the exact same thing as what I posted.

"Characters with which a Smasher plays most often with/prefers to play with" literally equals "Characters whom a Smasher exerts the utmost time into/is of the most importance to the Smasher".

The definition is the same. It's just been given a context.

The Smash community really needs to stop trying to make up arbitrary and outright false definitions for things. They are the only community I see do this sort of thing, and it's really pretentious. There would be a lot less debate if you just used the actual dictionary definition rather than making one up.

"Main" used in Smash Brothers is a term coined by the Smash Brothers community

No, it wasn't. It's just the word's definition being applied to the context of Smash. Nobody in the Smash community coined the term. "Main" literally means "most important/the thing with the most amount of time put into it". So when people ask you what the character you spend the most time with and is most important to your competitive play is, they call the character(s) that fit that description their "main". Because that is literally the correct use of the term, being given a context.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
So in other words, it means the exact same thing as what I posted.

"Characters with which a Smasher plays most often with/prefers to play with" literally equals "Characters whom a Smasher exerts the utmost time into/is of the most importance to the Smasher".

The definition is the same. It's just been given a context.

The Smash community really needs to stop trying to make up arbitrary and outright false definitions for things. They are the only community I see do this sort of thing, and it's really pretentious. There would be a lot less debate if you just used the actual dictionary definition rather than making one up.

No, it wasn't. It's just the word's definition being applied to the context of Smash. Nobody in the Smash community coined the term. "Main" literally means "most important/the thing with the most amount of time put into it". So when people ask you what the character you spend the most time with and is most important to your competitive play is, they call the character(s) that fit that description their "main". Because that is literally the correct use of the term, being given a context.
When used as a noun (which it is here), the official English definitions for "main" are:
noun
  1. a principal pipe carrying water or gas to buildings, or taking sewage from them.
    "a faulty gas main"
  2. archaicliterary
    the open ocean.
  3. NAUTICAL
    short for mainsail or mainmast.
Thus, "main" used to describe someone's preferred character to play as is a term created by the community of at least games in general to be a shortened form of the phrase "main character." "Characters whom a Smasher exerts the utmost time into/is of the most importance to the Smasher" isn't a definition you had in your original post, by the way.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
When used as a noun (which it is here), the official English definitions for "main" are:
noun
  1. a principal pipe carrying water or gas to buildings, or taking sewage from them.
    "a faulty gas main"
  2. archaicliterary
    the open ocean.
  3. NAUTICAL
    short for mainsail or mainmast.
Thus, "main" used to describe someone's preferred character to play as is a term created by the community of at least games in general to be a shortened form of the phrase "main character." "Characters whom a Smasher exerts the utmost time into/is of the most importance to the Smasher" isn't a definition you had in your original post, by the way.
"When used as a noun (which it is here), the official English definitions for "main" are:"

"Thus, "main" used to describe"

dude im seriously

the8thark

Smash Lord
When we say main, we all mean main character. We are just lazy and shorten it to main. Thus it's the adjective definition we are using. But we're using that definition as a noun. Making up our own lingo as we go along.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
"When used as a noun (which it is here), the official English definitions for "main" are:"

"Thus, "main" used to describe"

dude im seriously
Yes, "official English definition" =/= "term created by the community."
When we say main, we all mean main character. We are just lazy and shorten it to main. Thus it's the adjective definition we are using. But we're using that definition as a noun. Making up our own lingo as we go along.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm saying as well.

Anyway, my answer to the OP's question is: the sky's the limit; it's your choice whether or not you want to keep your roster small or large.

Last edited:

LordFluffy

Smash Apprentice
I see mains personally as the characters i consider myself the best with in a respective game. (I.E Smash 64: DK, Melee: C.Falcon P4A: Kanji etc) so basically the characters i would play in a serious/Competitive setting

Characters i play but i wouldn't remotely call my best and use in a more casual setting i would call "Fun" mains. as i like to play the character, (whether it be character loyalty or just loving the playstyle) but they wouldn't be my first choice when going into a competitive setting for one reason or another.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I'd like to think you can't be equally good and use the characters you say are your mains extremely evenly. Your main is, like has been said, who you most frequently use above everyone else and who you are the most proficient with. Generally speaking no one can really end up with more than maybe 2 mains because unless you're really not very good with any of them, you can't possibly excel at using so many characters. In my sig I have 10 characters, but am I really that proficient with them? Not at all. The last 4 I paired together I am not that great with but I know how to use them. The 4 in the middle I'm decent with, know how to use them, and can generally win a couple of matches. However, the first 2, Pikachu and Sonic, are in a whole league of their own because I'm very proficient with them, effectively able to reliably know how to use them in various situations, and so they are easily considered my mains. Pikachu wihout question, and Sonic has a good argument for sharing the spot.

Just an example.

Top Bottom