• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many characters will be in Smash4

Status
Not open for further replies.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Yeah, Sakurai has said there will definitely be newcomers this time, but to expect a higher amount that what Brawl added is absurd.

There are two things to keep in mind:
1. Sakurai has thrown around the number 50 at least three times in relation to the size of Smash 4's roster.
2. Sakurai has stated that there is a finite amount of characters that are worthy enough to be made playable in Smash Bros.

Its on the second point, that I feel why Sakurai is pursuing a major overhaul for the Smash Bros. series. I felt that after Smash 4 that Sakurai would have to result to basically a reboot of the Smash Bros. series, due to the lack of well-known Nintendo characters left to add. However, I think Sakurai's may have deemed after Brawl that there were too few Nintendo all-stars left to warrant another "bigger and better" sequel which was the case with Melee and Brawl.

My expectations for the size of the roster for Smash 4 are 48-53 total playable characters, though I concede its quite possible for it be lower than that range (I strongly doubt though that there will be more than that though).

Just looking at the pool of newcomers for Smash 4 and comparing it to Melee and Brawl's pools, who is left that compares to the all-stars that Melee and Brawl added? The only one that comes to mind is Ridley. Every other character that seems to be popularly suggested is either a character who has been absent from their franchise for quite a while or have their franchise go into hiatus (K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Samurai Goroh, Black Shadow, Krystal), a cut Melee vetean (Mewtwo, Roy), a new flavor of the month (Zoroark, Genesect, Chrom, Ghirahim), or negligible series that dont have the sales or influence of any series already with playable characters in Smash Bros. (Sin & Punishment, Golden Sun, Starfy, Xenoblade), or auxiliary side characters (Toad, Waluigi, Bowser Jr., Krystal, Waddle Dee).

There are hardly any characters left that were on the level as Bowser, Peach, Zelda, Ganondorf, Marth, Wario, Diddy Kong, King Dedede, Olimar, and possible Meta Knight. I would say outside of Ridley, the closest characters to this would probably be Little Mac, Mii, and maybe Palutena. Takamaru is the obvious pick for a retro revival, specially in light of his Nintendoland mini-game and playable role in Samurai Warriors 3.

Its for this reason, that Sakura probably decided now was the best time to go for a major revamp of the Smash franchise in terms of gameplay.

If you went the third party route (which is what I was stating in Roster thread often) there is plenty of great characters out there: Megaman, Bomberman, Rayman, Simon Belmont, Pac-Man, Llyodd Irving, Ryu, Professor Layton, etc.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Personally I think some characters will be dropped from previous games (My thoughts: Falco, Wolf and either Ness or Lucas) so the total won't be a huge step up but I look forward to seeing the new characters. Personally if there are more than 40 characters I'd be pleasantly surprised.
I don't see that unless the project is rushed. Sakurai recieved a lot of fan backlash for cutting Roy and Mewtwo. I think he realizes that cuts are not popular.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I don't see that unless the project is rushed. Sakurai recieved a lot of fan backlash for cutting Roy and Mewtwo. I think he realizes that cuts are not popular.
I wouldn't be toooooo surprised after his quote about and wanting to take it in a "new direction" instead of raising the quantity.

I don't understand why this thread was revived when we also have Neanderthal's poll thread.
Ohwell.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Yh but geodude punched Sakurai in the arm and now he is injured pretty bad..so it will be because of his arm this time why Mewtwo wont return so its ok....

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Yh but geodude punched Sakurai in the arm and now he is injured pretty bad..so it will be because of his arm this time why Mewtwo wont return so its ok....
Don't worry, Dr. Mario is treating him. So at least he's guaranteed to return. :troll:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One thing you have to realize about Smash in comparison to other fighting games is that stages are vital to game-play and stages, especially in 3d games take a lot of effort and 3D modeling to make (Especially ones that move). Look at UMVC's "new" stages, and these ones are all the same shape. This takes away potential resources for characters who have their own challenges.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
@Dark Phazon
Stop spamming the rumour everywhere. Where are you going to post it next?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Just so we have the numbers straight

Smash 64 had 12 characters with 1 clone (Luigi)
Melee had 25 with 6.5 clones (Dr. Mario, Falco, Pichu, Roy, Y. Link, Ganondorf and Luigi (.5)) BUT with Sheik that's 26 models and movesets
Brawl had 35 BUT 5 were removed from Melee (Dr. Mario, Pichu, Mewtwo, Roy and Y. Link) and with Shiek, Zamus and all the Pokemon that's 39 models and movesets.

So in total
64= 12 new characters (Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Link, Samus, Fox, Kirby, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, C. Falcon, Ness)
Melee= 14 new characters (Peach, Bowser, Dr. Mario, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Young Link, Pichu, Mewtwo, Falco, Marth, Roy, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game and Watch)
Brawl = 18 new characters (Wario, Diddy Kong, Toon Link, Meta Knight, Dedede, Pit, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Ike, Lucas, Olimar, Zero Suit Samus, Lucario, ROB, Wolf, Snake, Sonic)

Phew, that took a while to type. My point is, even if there is less characters than last time it'll still be a lot.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I expect 20 newcomers combined between the U and 3DS version.
Wii U has at least 50 slots / 55 moveset. 3DS at least 40.
I don't think I ask too much.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If Sakurai wants to top Brawl's trailer, he should add at least 20 characters. :awesome:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
If Sakurai wants to top Brawl's trailer, he's gonna have to add the characters I want. :troll:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
He needs lasers all over the stage. Real lasers. So the audience can experience the trailer by getting limbs amputated by awesome. :awesome:

D

Deleted member

Check this image out. There's about 119 characters. This giant roster will drive me crazy. If anyone wants a 100+ character roster, then they have too many characters in their wishlists. I was like "Whoa!". Also it will take forever to complete the trophy collection with a roster this huge.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
64? Seriously?
Some people's hearts are going to be smashed.

I'm expecting low to high 40's. Absolute maximum of 48 if there's a lot of of clones.
I'd predict more like 44ish though.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Let's say 50, which means 15 characters, is the absolute maximum. I honestly can't think of 15 characters without a few that are stretching it or having more than 1 rep per third party.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I'd say around 15 new characters with 2-4 cuts. And I don't know how you could say that you can't think of 15 good new reps. I can quite literally think of over 200 good first party characters to add to the game while still having them all be deserved of a spot. That's what makes predicting the rosters so freaking intense.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There aren't 200 first-party Nintendo characters deserving of playability in Smash. I agree there are more than 15 possible decent additions, but 200 is ridiculous.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I think I made a list of over 100 once but give me time and I could make a pretty substantial list of unique Nintendo characters. Like I'm probably gonna do it... There are just so many Nintendo titles. I don't necessarily mean 200 characters that could be feasible per say for this ssb4 but characters that are unique and hold a major role in their franchise I could pull up a substantial list no sweat

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Alright, but a character that could work in Smash and a character that actually deserves to be in Smash aren't necessarily the same thing. I could list off just as many characters as you could that would be unique or interesting in Smash, but listing ones that deserve playability would probably end around 30, if that.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Alright, but a character that could work in Smash and a character that actually deserves to be in Smash aren't necessarily the same thing. I could list off just as many characters as you could that would be unique or interesting in Smash, but listing ones that deserve playability would probably end around 30, if that.
Really when it comes down to it it depends on who's making the decisions on likelyhood. Like while I'm sure after playing Mario kart ds people thought rob would make a cool character in ssbb but did anybody really expect it? No. But sakurai came through.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Really when it comes down to it it depends on who's making the decisions on likelyhood. Like while I'm sure after playing Mario kart ds people thought rob would make a cool character in ssbb but did anybody really expect it? No. But sakurai came through.
Yeah, and there are obviously some unexpected decisions made each time regarding the roster, but Sakurai doesn't just look at "who would make a cool character", there are many other factors that contribute to inclusion. And it's likely only a couple dozen characters left meet Sakurai's self-imposed requirements well enough to get considered, hardly hundreds.

Also, after MKDS most people didn't really want ROB to become a playable character, you're right in that he was unexpected, but he was also fairly unwanted.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Yeah, and there are obviously some unexpected decisions made each time regarding the roster, but Sakurai doesn't just look at "who would make a cool character", there are many other factors that contribute to inclusion. And it's likely only a couple dozen characters left meet Sakurai's self-imposed requirements well enough to get considered, hardly hundreds.

Also, after MKDS most people didn't really want ROB to become a playable character, you're right in that he was unexpected, but he was also fairly unwanted.
Thing is nobody knows what self requirements has upon itself, so to us the possibilities are still quite high. Kind of like that whole shroedingers box thing.

And concerning rob all I'm saying is that people may have seen him and gone like he looks alright but would've thought him off since he is so nonpopular

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Forty-five different movesets and models is my high end guess. In comparison, Brawl had 39.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
64? Seriously?
Some people's hearts are going to be smashed.

I'm expecting low to high 40's. Absolute maximum of 48 if there's a lot of of clones.
I'd predict more like 44ish though.
But why? There's no reason to be this negative really. I except 50 to be the least.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
In my opinion, the brawl roster is beyond epic, every character that I wanted in the game was included. Even Snake, I really wanted to play snake in brawl but what are the chances? I still remember the day when they announced he was going to be a character, I was beyond happy... I really don't care about the quantity of the characters, but who the characters are.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm guessing 45 at maximum, and that's counting Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard, Zelda/Sheik and Samus/ZSS as one character each, so a total of 10 new characters if no one's cut this time around, might be able to push it to 50 characters . Beyond that and it'll most likely become a mess when trying to balance, and since Brawl was critized as being unbalanced I think they'll put more weight into that this time around. Only the most necessary all-stars that aren't currently in should be in, Brawl did most of the job, now we just need that last push.

I think there'll be put a bigger emphasis on things outside new characters this time around, probably something new, because as some have stated earlier in this topic, you can only go so far with the same "more characters+stages" formular each time.
Still, each game has added something new and innovative each time, Melee added Special Melees, All-Stars, Trophies, Tourneys, Adventure Mode, Home-Run and Events, Brawl added Subspace, Rotation, Boss Battles, Wi-Fi, Stage Creator, Stickers and that weird coin thing nobody cares about, plus it updated a lot of stuff like having difficulties on events, 2-player for pretty much everything, and it made an actual adventure out of Adventure Mode, so it's not like we've been short of content outside of characters and stages with each game. Wouldn't surprise me if there was put more of an emphasis on things outside of standard battles either way though, like fixing the Wi-Fi lag, updating the Stage Creator, a new Adventure mode, plus a bunch of new things like the supposed connection between the Wii-U and 3DS games, whatever that may end up doing.

In my opinion, the brawl roster is beyond epic, every character that I wanted in the game was included. Even Snake, I really wanted to play snake in brawl but what are the chances? I still remember the day when they announced he was going to be a character, I was beyond happy... I really don't care about the quantity of the characters, but who the characters are.
Yeah, the Brawl roster is pretty amazing, the only character I'm really desperate for is Ridley, any other characters are just nice additions on top of what we have. But seriously, the day of Brawl's announcement trailer was a good day, and the good news just kept on coming from the Dojo. Meta Knight, Wario and Dedede in my Smash Bros? Just take my money!

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Yeah, the Brawl roster is pretty amazing, the only character I'm really desperate for is Ridley, any other characters are just nice additions on top of what we have. But seriously, the day of Brawl's announcement trailer was a good day, and the good news just kept on coming from the Dojo. Meta Knight, Wario and Dedede in my Smash Bros? Just take my money!
It truly was good, and we all hope SSB4's trailer is as good, and if not better. I'm a bit concerned about Ridley as a character. He was a Boss in Brawl and seems a bit weird if he was reorganized as a character. But of course, he has a good chance of making it to the SSB4 roster since there have been an abundant amount of request on his entry.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It truly was good, and we all hope SSB4's trailer is as good, and if not better. I'm a bit concerned about Ridley as a character. He was a Boss in Brawl and seems a bit weird if he was reorganized as a character. But of course, he has a good chance of making it to the SSB4 roster since there have been an abundant amount of request on his entry.
Yes, the boss thing could be a problem, but I honestly don't expect a sequel to Subspace Emissary, if we get a new adventure mode of that scale, it'll most likely be in a new universe, possibly set in a more Nintendo themed one. Anyways, since Subspace is a thing of the past, I don't think it hurts his chances very much.

He is pretty much the only Nintendo All-Star we're missing that is still appearing in his games (otherwise King K. Rool is also missing from the all-star list.) He's the Bowser, the Dedede, the Wolf, the Ganondorf of Metroid, I think it's a huge error that he wasn't playable in SSBB, and given that he's been one of the most anticipated characters for every game, and now SSB4 too, I say his chances are higher than most other characters, at least if Sakurai wants to make the effort. Metroid is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises, it's at least bigger than Star Fox, Fire Emblem, Earthbound/Mother, and arguably toe-to-toe with Kirby, not only is it odd that the main antagonist isn't playable, but it's incredibly odd that there's no other characters from that franchise than Samus, and there's no one quite as fit at supporting Metroid than Ridley, other than Samus herself.

As for the trailer, I can't possibly see how they can top the Brawl one, it's just so great, no matter if Ridley or other favorites appear in the new trailer, the whole presentation aspect of the Brawl trailer was just amazingly well pulled off, I can't see how they can make a better trailer without having to rip it off. But hey, it doesn't necessarily need to be better, I have no doubt that it'll be good, and if it turns out to be better than the Brawl trailer I sure won't complain.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Eh, Ridley being a boss in SSE doesn't matter really. It could just be similar to a VS. match instead.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
As for the trailer, I can't possibly see how they can top the Brawl one, it's just so great, no matter if Ridley or other favorites appear in the new trailer, the whole presentation aspect of the Brawl trailer was just amazingly well pulled off, I can't see how they can make a better trailer without having to rip it off. But hey, it doesn't necessarily need to be better, I have no doubt that it'll be good, and if it turns out to be better than the Brawl trailer I sure won't complain.
I agree, the brawl trailer was beyond imagination, having every character I want join the game was a stunner. Heck, I still play the game frequently although it was released 5 years ago. I just wish that the SSB4 trailer will be on the same level as brawl's trailer.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I agree, the brawl trailer was beyond imagination, having every character I want join the game was a stunner. Heck, I still play the game frequently although it was released 5 years ago. I just wish that the SSB4 trailer will be on the same level as brawl's trailer.
Brawl is also my game of choice, still playing it these days, though there's been some on and off moments. Too many good memories lie with it, I hope I can get the same experience with SSB4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom