• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many characters will be in Smash 5

nayerweeb

Smash Rookie
I expect about 68-71. No roster cuts. Just about 10-13 newcomers. Merge the clones into palette swaps, and merge Sheik back with Zelda.

nayerweeb

Smash Rookie
But what's the point? they made them separate for a reason, I see no reason to change it now.
Well, there's also no reason to make them separate. It takes up less slots and they only did it because the 3DS couldn't handle transformations. But I figure it could go either way.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well, there's also no reason to make them separate. It takes up less slots and they only did it because the 3DS couldn't handle transformations. But I figure it could go either way.
To be honest they'd lose their down specials. Also it's not like there is a limit on slot number. We've already paased 50, adding or cutting a few won't make CSS prettier.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Slots aren't real, and I was mostly talking about the clones although what I said applies to both I guess

nayerweeb

Smash Rookie
To be honest they'd lose their down specials. Also it's not like there is a limit on slot number. We've already paased 50, adding or cutting a few won't make CSS prettier.
True. Tbh my only wish is no cuts. The Smash 4 roster was near perfect already.
Slots aren't real, and I was mostly talking about the clones although what I said applies to both I guess
I don't believe in "wasted slots" (like who even came up with that term?) but I was saying that merging characters together technically doesn't count as cutting them.

Honestly, if Cloud and Corrin don't make it in, I'm gonna riot.

Last edited by a moderator:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I’m expecting somewhere between 68 and 72 characters. I’m assuming that assets from Smash Wii U’s engine are going to be reused, so there should be minimal to no cuts + about 10-14 newcomers.

Last edited:

nayerweeb

Smash Rookie
How strange, did you accidentally quote me?
No. I did want to quote you. No offense but I think that roster needs huge improvement. Unless you weren't the creator of that roster, I think you need to add Cloud and Corrin back into the roster. Besides, 64 is a bit low, don't you think?

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
If we'll have cut fighters then between 64-68, excluding Mii's.
If not then between 68-70, excluding Mii's.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
No. I did want to quote you. No offense but I think that roster needs huge improvement. Unless you weren't the creator of that roster, I think you need to add Cloud and Corrin back into the roster. Besides, 64 is a bit low, don't you think?
It was a pessimistic roster that I've since updated. 64 still feels somewhat right to me. But obviously it wouldn't last long with this DLC age.

nayerweeb

Smash Rookie
It was a pessimistic roster that I've since updated. 64 still feels somewhat right to me. But obviously it wouldn't last long with this DLC age.
To be totally honest, Smash 4's roster wouldn't be a huge improvement from Brawl without DLC. DLC made it the best roster to date, even if it was paid :p

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
In my opinion I feel that we’re gonna get 69 character roster (excluding Miis).

14 newcomers, 3 returning veterans (Ice Climbers, Wolf, and Snake), and at least 3 cuts.

I honestly don’t think we’re gonna get a gigantic 80+ roster. I feel that Sakurai has a set number of total characters in mind for the Smash series so he doesn’t overwhelm many players when playing Smash.

Although I would like to have 80+ characters, having a roster that big will make a very cramped roster and cause many of the characters in Smash to not feel special anymore, especially veterans and lesser known newcomers, and take time away from many other things that could be improved upon for this game.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
One too many. Sakurai is emotionally invested in these characters. He's going to need to just let go, either by removing unnecessary characters, starting over from scratch, or no longer continuing the series.

Super Smash Bros. Fray, the tenth game of the series. Choose your favorite character out of the 1,000 in the roster.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
We don't even know if it is a Smash 5.

If it is truly a 2018 release, I wouldn't expect a lot of newcomers. The development time is just too short.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
At this point, I think it's clear that Sakurai is not interested in cutting characters. Sakurai understands that every character has their own set of fans who enjoy playing them. This is pretty evident from Dr. Mario's return inclusion as his own character in Smash 4, when he was originally to be an alt. costume. Pokemon Trainer and the Ice Climbers being cut can be attributed to the 3DS's technical limitations

Nebunera

Smash Apprentice
I am predicting around 65-70 characters with a couple cuts.

I really hope they get rid of clones, such a waste of a character slot for an innovative character.

D

Deleted member

I really hope they get rid of clones, such a waste of a character slot for an innovative character.
But cutting clones is not going to free up enough time for a unique character.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

character slots aren't real, taking them away vs keeping them in changes nothing

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I want 64 characters (counting the miis as one character) in the base game to match up with a 20 year anniversary of Smash Bros...than add dlc characters to go up to 70 total

Intluut

Smash Rookie
Usually, Smash rosters increase from 12 to 15 more characters per game at launch. Since Sakuri has worked on this game 3 years once it comes out, we can expect the normal increase. So that means we could expect a roster between 70 to 73 characters,not including miis. But, Nintendo has been pushing DLC a lot lately, so we might see some more characters. Most likely bringing it up to 80 it the most logically ideal situation. My main question here is, how many characters do you think will make the cut?
Clone cuts mostly like dark pit and lucina, personally I hope for a smaller roster than sm4sh, only because I'm in love with the melee roster.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
We don't even know if it is a Smash 5.

If it is truly a 2018 release, I wouldn't expect a lot of newcomers. The development time is just too short.
Considering they haven’t shown any new gameplay, isn’t called SSB for Nintendo Switch, has a new Link, has a new logo, and has a tournament that’s somewhat keeping things secret to even the players...new game

I am predicting around 65-70 characters with a couple cuts. I really hope they get rid of clones, such a waste of a character slot for an innovative character.
Clones affect literally nothing for newcomers and returning vets (they are a bonus addition)

To be totally honest, Smash 4's roster wouldn't be a huge improvement from Brawl without DLC. DLC made it the best roster to date, even if it was paid :p
Without DLC and the loss of Ice Climbers, it was still better than the Brawl roster

Top Bottom