• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many characters should I learn?

elliotnz

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5906-3244
Started playing wifi for about a week and training up link fox metaknight and marth. Is this too many characters?

I do ok on wifi

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Specializing in 2 to 3 characters is probably the most ideal choice. It gives you enough time to practice with all of them, and allows you to switch between characters if you don't like a certain match up or want to throw your opponent off.

Morbi

Scavenger
Usually 2 is a sufficient number, you have your main and another character to cover your mains bad MUs. I would recommend 3 though. It adds that surprise element that Sunny was alluding to. I personally have a lot of experience with Smash, so I am able to retain 4 or 5 effective mains. The additional characters aren't necessary though. If you just plan on playing on Wi-Fi, the 4 characters you play now should be fine. You only really need to worry about specializing if you get into competitive.

HYP3R

Smash Lord
Before you decide on a main, you should try out all the characters first before deciding. Even if you aren't going to use them, having an idea of how each character plays will help you a lot when you have to play against them.
This is especially helpful on Wi-Fi, where there's tons of people that all main different characters.

D

Deleted member

First, find your main by playing with all the characters until you find the one you're best with then find another character to main just in case or something. 2 I think is the best number but you can still main as many characters as you want if you want to (I main 4).

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
You don't even need a hand, just use something that you can press B with.

13 foot pole maybe ?

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
I hope you're not using a GCC or a Classic Pro. Get out that dusty old Wiimote and toss away the nunchuk.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Haha, love the irony here.

Seriously, though, I'm glad to see you have a low-tier character on your list. With these you can sometimes win just because you're opponent doesn't know the matchup.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Haha, love the irony here.

Seriously, though, I'm glad to see you have a low-tier character on your list. With these you can sometimes win just because you're opponent doesn't know the matchup.
or they can just metaknight you

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
Link: switch to Toon Link
Fox: switch to Falco
MK: really? Really? Personally I refuse to use MK just because of his overuse. And overdose.
Marth: now we're talkin'!

Ksn245

Smash Cadet
Have your main, a character that counters your mains weaknesses, and another one like JIgglypufff for the lols

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
or they can just metaknight you
A high level metaknight main/secondary could hazard their way through an unfamiliar low-tier matchup and come out on top, but that doesn't mean anyone can just go in metaknight and win hands down. If they do then low-tier characters aren't for you; and, competitive brawl isn't for you, either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-AYWM-1iR8

thedudekris

Smash Rookie
i suggest learning all of them and playing the characters you favor more often then the ones you don't.

roxolid

Smash Cadet
You could always just play red yoshi and never change characters no matter what... It got aMSa to 9th at APEX lololol

Top Bottom