• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How long will amiibos sell for?

redbandjack

Smash Rookie
NNID
redbandjack
3DS FC
3566-1664-3959
I'm already seeing people online selling Marth, Villager, and Wii Fit Trainer for pretty high prices saying they are rare figures. The game's only been out for just over a week but apparently these figures are out of stock in most places. Do you think Nintendo is going to keep making them or just make them in waves of their release dates and then stop? I hope not because I planned on having them all at some point.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Well, like any product, they're inevitably going to stop amiibo production at some point. I expect them to still be made for at least the remainder of this console generation, though, and Nintendo did say that they were planning to keep them in the next generation of consoles.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Judging by how the Amiibos are compatible with more than one game (and since sooner or later with both the Wii U and 3DS), I'd say they'll be around for a while.

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
I only want Link from the first wave. Then I'll get Zelda around March and Ganondorf later on. Let's hope they don't stop anytime soon! (And be compatible with that gorgeous Zelda Wii U game).

I'm planning on getting Marth, Ike, Robin and Lucina but they're not high priority.

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
I read that some Amiibos will be more plentiful than others, meaning, the more meaningful/popular ones will be kept in production where as characters such as WFT will be discontinued. It makes sense since Amiibos are more towards game functionality. If aq character doesn't get a new game or current update for one, then there is no point in producing more.

KingofEvil

Smash Rookie
I'm already seeing people online selling Marth, Villager, and Wii Fit Trainer for pretty high prices saying they are rare figures. The game's only been out for just over a week but apparently these figures are out of stock in most places. Do you think Nintendo is going to keep making them or just make them in waves of their release dates and then stop? I hope not because I planned on having them all at some point.
Nobody here has the answer, neither does Nintendo honestly. It most likely all depends on how well they sale. If sales tank after the holidays, it's very likely we won't get a wave 4 or a restock of Marth/WFT/Villager. But if the demand is there then Nintendo will (probably) restock them.

I read that some Amiibos will be more plentiful than others, meaning, the more meaningful/popular ones will be kept in production where as characters such as WFT will be discontinued. It makes sense since Amiibos are more towards game functionality. If aq character doesn't get a new game or current update for one, then there is no point in producing more.
Not sure what you mean by this. I have absolutely no data to back this up but it seems like WFT is pretty damn popular, at least online and in the forums I've seen. I know she's grown on me a lot, and was the only amiibo I had any interest in at all. She and Villager were also the only ones the local GS ordered that went OoS (no store near me ever got any Marth). BB sold out of WFT too but still has a few Villagers.

I had to call a 2nd GS about an hour after it opened and had them reserve the last WFT for me. Otherwise I'd have been SOL. :( But WFT has already been restocked (and sold out again) at several of these stores and some online retailers too.

Last edited:

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
I picked up Wii Fit Trainer yesterday for the heck of it instead of the Mario/Fox I planned on getting when I walked into the store. I feel like the bigger characters will probably be around for a while.

Top Bottom