• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How long does it take to short hop consistantly?

shyyft

Smash Rookie
I probably have a good 15-20 hours accumulated just sitting on fd practicing short hopping and I only have like 75% accuracy. It's almost to the point where I think I'm getting worse the more I practice? What the heck is going on?! Is it the controller? I'm using the newer sm4sh controller. It almost feels like the x and y buttons are inconsistent or something. I wish it would just be one of the things where I'm just holding it too long or not getting a jump at all but my messups are a little bit of each. Sometimes I'll press so hard I full hoping and others I'll press so lightly I don't jump at all. I've been really patient, but after this long of practicing just short hopping I'm getting really frustrated. Anyone have any insight on what's going on here?

Hollorock

Smash Rookie
I'm having this exact same consistency problem with wavedashing. I learned to SH really fast so i'll help you out with that.

I hope those 15-20 hours aren't close together. You should never be practicing this much without breaks or anything.

Its really hard for me to press the button so lightly that I don't jump at all. So you're definitely way over estimating the speed you need to short hop. Don't think about shorthop in terms of memorizing this special time frame you have to hit your finger exactly on.
Start with this super fast speed you're using and begin to slow down until you're short hopping and focus on maintaining that. You want to get used to how it feels to short hop and begin trusting that you're not performing this delicate balancing act where you'll mess up if you're off by a millisecond. Then switch between full hopping and the short hop to get you better idea of the sensitivity difference between them.

Take breaks if you get frustrated and come back with a clearer head and make sure you're doing hand warm ups before doing intense practice sessions like this. Making sure you've had enough water to drink will also let you play better.

Last edited:

Coze

20YY Cultist
I feel you, I can wave dash, shield drop and L-cancel consistently but my short hopping remaina terrible no matter how much I practice.

Instantly. I flick my thumbnail against the bottom edge of the X button. Truly 100% reliability even as Fox

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
If you have 75% consistency then you know the timing but it isn't fully built into your muscle memory and you mess up a bit. I think practicing in matches or even against CPU's can help, because then you aren't constantly doing it and your fingers won't get tired. It may be that you have 75% consistency in training mode but 90% consistency in game because you're not thinking about it as much.

Pip_Puff

Smash Rookie
Joining on everybody talking about the beauty that is flicking the x button.

I would try practicing more during real games with people and cpus, once you get it there, you won't ever not have it.

mistercupter

Smash Rookie
NNID
MisterCupter
I learned after seeing Ken do it in one of his Marth tutorials. I just press quickly as I can but not too hard. I think the speed helps.

TakeANap

Smash Rookie
Just as others have stated it becomes much easier once you realize it has nothing to do with pressure and everything to do with how fast you are pressing the button.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
How many top players "flick the edge of the x button with their thumb/thumbnail" though?

I don't think I've ever seen any that play the fast characters like Fox, Pikachu, Sheik, Marth, Falcon, etc actually use that method. You have to be able to input other buttons in mere frames after you SH and it has to be comfortable.....

You should be able to use X or Y and just pressing it normally, quickly. This leaves you open to input the next command within frames.

It just takes time, and it depends on what character you are using. After that using the SH in tandem with moves, while DD and WDing, and SHFFLing takes even more time, and then on top of that using all that in a real match when you are nervous or excited takes even longer. Just practice and make sure you are taking breaks and stretching.

Wolfgang Cooper

Smash Ace
How many top players "flick the edge of the x button with their thumb/thumbnail" though?

I don't think I've ever seen any that play the fast characters like Fox, Pikachu, Sheik, Marth, Falcon, etc actually use that method. You have to be able to input other buttons in mere frames after you SH and it has to be comfortable.....

You should be able to use X or Y and just pressing it normally, quickly. This leaves you open to input the next command within frames.

It just takes time, and it depends on what character you are using. After that using the SH in tandem with moves, while DD and WDing, and SHFFLing takes even more time, and then on top of that using all that in a real match when you are nervous or excited takes even longer. Just practice and make sure you are taking breaks and stretching.

.........don't fight it man, just flick with us.......

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Agreed with plunder. Pressing the button normally fast af is better. Practice it, and the speed you develop as a result will help other things.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
To each his own, i say
Agreed, but you're giving yourself more distance to cover by flicking instead of quickly tapping. If it wasn't such a crucial and prominent skill I'd be inclined to say it didn't matter.

Edit: also my advice assumes you wish to become high level. It'll make that route less bumpy.

Last edited:

Wolfgang Cooper

Smash Ace
Agreed, but you're giving yourself more distance to cover by flicking instead of quickly tapping. If it wasn't such a crucial and prominent skill I'd be inclined to say it didn't matter.

Edit: also my advice assumes you wish to become high level. It'll make that route less bumpy.
I see what your saying but i don't have any problems getting to the A button in time. Before flicking, I tried practicing SH'ing pressing it really fast and would rarely short hop. Also in the heat of a battle, I would accidentally full hop because I would get too excited or anxious. When I switched to flicking, I would get the short hops nearly all the time. Even in a fight when I get too excited, I would still short hop. But when I switch to other characters, such as Marth or Falcon, i would just press the jump button really fast because their jumps don't really require a quick input like Fox. Im gonna try practicing tap jumping for a while with Fox and tell you if I make progress.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I see what your saying but i don't have any problems getting to the A button in time. Before flicking, I tried practicing SH'ing pressing it really fast and would rarely short hop. Also in the heat of a battle, I would accidentally full hop because I would get too excited or anxious. When I switched to flicking, I would get the short hops nearly all the time. Even in a fight when I get too excited, I would still short hop. But when I switch to other characters, such as Marth or Falcon, i would just press the jump button really fast because their jumps don't really require a quick input like Fox. Im gonna try practicing tap jumping for a while with Fox and tell you if I make progress.
For full control of your character, you want to go from X(or Y) to c-stick for aerials. That is, if you want to maintain full aerial control while doing your aerials (but for analog jump aerials your method is fine--they are just situational). That's why I recommend that. Good progress, keep practicing my dude.

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Try to do YL's SH Bair DJ bair using the flick method. I think even if by some miracle you could pull it off consistently....that would probably give you carpal tunnel syndrome doing it that way after while. YL even has a slower 5 (3) jump, but it's about being able to hit A within a 1-2 frame window consistently, and comfortably. That translates to high level tech that requires the same timing on top tiers.

I doubt a lot of high level Fox stuff can even be done using a flick, but I could be wrong. Never seen it done though.

As you said though to each his own. if you can actually accomplish everything using that method and feel confident passing along your knowledge to someone asking then I guess it doesn't matter how you do it.

Last edited:

Wolfgang Cooper

Smash Ace
For full control of your character, you want to go from X(or Y) to c-stick for aerials. That is, if you want to maintain full aerial control while doing your aerials (but for analog jump aerials your method is fine--they are just situational). That's why I recommend that. Good progress, keep practicing my dude.
Thanks man. Oh and I forgot to mention that I do use C Stick for aerials. I'm not a beginner Fox but i still have a long way to go before I can call myself an Excellent Fox. I'm mean, I can waveshine and L cancel and stuff but I still need to learn a few more advanced techniques and perfect them.

Last edited:

Wolfgang Cooper

Smash Ace
Try to do YL's SH Bair DJ bair using the flick method. I think even if by some miracle you could pull it off consistently....that would probably give you carpal tunnel syndrome doing it that way after while. YL even has a slower 5 (3) jump, but it's about being able to hit A within a 1-2 frame window consistently, and comfortably. That translates to high level tech that requires the same timing on top tiers.

I doubt a lot of high level Fox stuff can even be done using a flick, but I could be wrong. Never seen it done though.

As you said though to each his own. if you can actually accomplish everything using that method and feel confident passing along your knowledge to someone asking then I guess it doesn't matter how you do it.

With the flick tech, using Fox, I can SH Dair, Waveshine, Up Smash, or SH Nair, Waveshine Grab. Or SH Dair, Up-Tilt, Up Air Etc. I can do a lot of stuff with just flicking X, but I have a weird way of waveshining. If I'm going for a Dair Waveshine Upsmash, I would SH by flicking X , C-Stick Down, L cancel, Shine, jump out of shine with 'Y' and wavedash then C Stick Up. It sounds complicated switching from X to Y, but I have no trouble pulling it off. I feel I have the weirdest way of playing lol.

Top Bottom