• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How likely are hand injuries?

L33thal

Smash Apprentice
I've been hearing a lot about Melee players getting hand injuries and I was wondering if those cases were just exceptions or if people really need to watch out and seriously take care of their hands. One problem I have is that I hold my controller super tight so that stretching my hands don't really help me much. I've tried to train myself to play with a loose grip but sometimes I just find myself "relapsing" and holding my controller tight again, especially if I want to space a grab/aerial correctly.

If it matters, I'm a Falco main with somewhat decent tech skill who's really trying to switch to Fox (more survivability and options). I trained my hands to not be sore even after playing Falco nonstop for a whole day but with Fox my hands feel terrible after an hour. But I really want to give Fox a try.

Any thoughts on this?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I wish I would have stretched more before playing all these years. The very first knuckle in my right index finger is starting to hurt and get a little swollen from hitting R all the time. It's ok as long as I don't play all day or every day though. It's always a good decision to take care of your hands.

Pauer

The Pauerful
Hand injuries have to be a consequence of improper care for your fingers.
Professional string musicians practice for multiple hours every day without developing hand problems.
The difference between us and them is that they receive training on how to warm up and how often to take breaks.They're also taught proper technique, how to move their fingers and hold their instruments whereas we're just figuring it out ourselves.

Dubba G

Smash Rookie
Just ask Mew2King about how his hands are feeling when he plays now. Without proper care you're bound to run into injury. Just remember to stretch your fingers and as stated above maybe look up some techniques on warming up your hands before playing. Just remember to play in moderation and if you feel yourself straining or getting tired, take a break. SS

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
after a while you shouldn't have to grip your controller roughly to perform tech skill if you keep trying to loosen your grip. doing that will help you a lot.

Nomis4

Smash Cadet
I've only been playing for a year, and my hands start hurting pretty bad after 1 hour+ sessions. Remember to stretch your hands bois.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
For what it's worth, playing in 30 (45 max) minute sessions and taking a break equally as long or more has helped me a bit already. That and taking days off lol. I must learn smash in moderation.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
As a Roy player I have to focus on many technical options and that takes bout 3hours causing my hands to hurt so I suggest after doing a small session play brawl or a pc game (if have any of those) and rest your hand or just lay back and watch tv

Last edited:

R3dMarthy

Smash Rookie
Hand injuries are not likely if you masturbate while you are wavedashing. This may seem impossible at first, but trust me, it is very easy to do. I'm only kidding, I suppose they aren't extremely likely, but you if your hands start the hurt, take a break for about 30 minutes, or until they stop hurting. See me trollin' headass eejit?

Top Bottom