• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How is our matchup against Diddy?

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
So since a lot of top tier characters (ZSS, Rosa, Villager, Shiek) already make Ganondorf want to kick a puppy (well, more puppies than he already does), I wanted to ask what you all think of our matchup against Diddy.

From my limited experience, it's, at the very least, not as bad as our other top tier matchups. Diddy is still annoyingly fast and can combo Ganon easily, but his edgeguarding is toliet, his projectile doesn't really pressure Ganon all that much, his recovery outside of monkey flip is bad (U-Air easily beats monkey flip by the way), and a lot of his faster KO options don't kill Ganon until very high percents due to high weight and falling speed. I'd say somewhere around 45:55 or 40:60 in Diddy's favor.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Posts like these should be posted in the match-up thread.

As for your question, Ganon's match-up against Diddy is probably better than the match-up against Sheik & Sonic and a few other top tier characters.

A good Diddy should always ban Battlefield - which can even the odds in the match-up quite a bit, if BF cannot be picked then Town & City is where you should go.

Zair air grabs can grab peanuts & bananas, and those two items can be used in different ways against Diddy (flame choke if it's not teched).

All flame choke follow up works, and can really pressure a Diddy. In Smash 4, characters with lower distance rolls, when rolled behind you have to be punished by a charged fsmash then a regular fsmash. The regular fsmash is too quick and Diddy doesn't go all the way behind you. This is actually good in the sense that if you predict a back roll out of flame choke, this can really kill Diddy early. With the pressure options out of flame choke give Diddy, getting kills like these wouldn't be too uncommon in higher levels of play.

Ganon has to do a lot more shenanigans with movements, rolls, jumps, etc then Diddy. Like any other match-ups, Ganon's damage input could always even the odds.

I think this match-up is 40:60 Diddy, and on some stages could even be just a bit better and bring it closer with 43:57. Diddy's definitely not an unbeatable match-up at all, but Ganon has to put in a lot more work while Diddy plays a lot simpler.

Last edited:

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
One thing about this match-up: Monkey Flip can be countered by a Bair on reaction, that means that not only his recovery is nearly trash aside for his ability to go from hanging one ledge to the other(as if we needed another reason to attack him while he's charging), but one of the most important tools in Diddy's arsenal(that I find slighty overrated because of his slow start-up and inexistent priority) can backfire and make Diddy one of the easiest targets for the third strongest Bair in the game, assumed you don't open yourself and are ready.

EasternMist

Smash Rookie
NNID
Section87
You can also counter peanut spam with N-air short hops if they are the type to stay back. DAir is good to punish missed grabs as well. Also like said above nearly most of the Flame Choke follow ups work and Bairs are really useful for the match up. Id say its 55:45 In Diddy's favor if you alter your play style for the match up.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I would love for this to be in the matchup thread. Ganon's probably at a bit of a disadvantage, but his neutral air bypasses the majority of Diddy's moves.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
BF is always the way to go bc of flame choke platform shenanigans. If Diddy bans it, Town and City is another great one. Diddy is much more susceptible to our combos than most, and it's also harder for him to kill us. In addition, we have an amazing offstage game, and he's easily gimped. However, he has bananas, peanuts, monkey flip, and hoo hah. So it comes out about even IMO. maybe 55:45 diddy.

Top Bottom